Dave

Default Indelible Marker pens

Hi all,

Where can I find the above? I'm after the type that you can flood the
tip by pressing it in and they will write on anything. I seem to recall
that Pentel used to make them, but I've drawn a blank so far

P.S. I don't want the paint type

TIA
--
--dave

Tim Mitchell

In article , Dave
writes
Hi all,

Where can I find the above? I'm after the type that you can flood the
tip by pressing it in and they will write on anything. I seem to recall
that Pentel used to make them, but I've drawn a blank so far

P.S. I don't want the paint type

They are called "valve markers", if you google for that you will find
lots.

They are not indelible though, even the permanent ones. The paint ones
are the only really indelible ones.
--
Tim Mitchell
Harry Bloomfield

Dave wrote on Wednesday (21/01/2004) :
Hi all,

Where can I find the above? I'm after the type that you can flood the tip by
pressing it in and they will write on anything. I seem to recall that Pentel
used to make them, but I've drawn a blank so far

P.S. I don't want the paint type

TIA

Maplins Electronics and similar would probably sell them, they are used
for circuit board layouts.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

mike ring

Default Indelible pencils:was Indelible Marker pens

Dave wrote in
news
Hi all,

Where can I find the above? I'm after the type that you can flood the
tip by pressing it in and they will write on anything. I seem to recall
that Pentel used to make them, but I've drawn a blank so far

P.S. I don't want the paint type

TIA

I hope I haven't offended against usenet in the way I changed the title,
but what I've benn meaning to mention here for ages.

Does anyone remember indelible pencils?

When I were nobbut a lad, just after t'war, I remember these pencils that
you licked, and they wrote in something like ink.

They also wrote if you didn't liick them.

They've disappeared, so I can't find out WTH they were *for*.

Were you supposed to lick them, or was the wetting effect an unfortunate
side effect, or couldn't we get proper pencils with lots of leads inside
which don't load when the old one is used?

Or were they meant to be used as pens? But fountain pens *had* been
invented?

Anyone old enough to put me out of my misery, I lose sleep over this.

mike r

Lawrence Milbourn

"mike ring" wrote in message
52.50...
[...]

They were used to mark your name on the laundry before you sent it off each
week.

--
Lawrence
College web Site "http://www.high-pavement-6th-form.ac.uk"

the q

"Dave" wrote in message
news
Hi all,

Where can I find the above? I'm after the type that you can flood the
tip by pressing it in and they will write on anything. I seem to recall
that Pentel used to make them, but I've drawn a blank so far

P.S. I don't want the paint type

TIA
--
--dave

Try a search on the Viking stationary supplies site, I'd be surprised if
they didn't have them

The Q

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:16:25 +0000 (UTC), mike ring
wrote:

Does anyone remember indelible pencils?

Just about. Frequently a dark violet colour.

They've disappeared, so I can't find out WTH they were *for*.

Laundry markers. You can still get them, but they're rare.

A similar thing is a Chinagraph pencil, which is still pretty common.
They're very similar to use (they need a lick before they'll write
straight off on a low-friction surface). Not indelible though.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
A similar thing is a Chinagraph pencil, which is still pretty common.
They're very similar to use (they need a lick before they'll write
straight off on a low-friction surface). Not indelible though.

Used to be common in the days of tape editing. I'd have said the shiny
back of some tape was a fairly low friction surface - as is glass - but
I've never needed to lick one.

--
*When the going gets tough, use duct tape

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:20:54 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

Used to be common in the days of tape editing. I'd have said the shiny
back of some tape was a fairly low friction surface

Depends on the scale you're working at. If you restore fountain pen
nibs, polyester / mylar tape is a useful abrasive.

If you're plotting on a map with a chinagraph (so it's removable) you
lick the point - otherwise your mark doesn't start quite where you
expected it to.

CRB

mike ring wrote in message . 252.50...
Dave wrote in
news
When I were nobbut a lad, just after t'war, I remember these pencils that
you licked, and they wrote in something like ink.

They also wrote if you didn't lick them.

They've disappeared, so I can't find out WTH they were *for*.

Anyone old enough to put me out of my misery, I lose sleep over this.

mike r

I once used one to trace the cause of a long-standing, recalcitrant
Weather Radar system snag on a particular B707 aircraft.....

CRB

Christian McArdle

If you're plotting on a map with a chinagraph (so it's removable) you
lick the point - otherwise your mark doesn't start quite where you
expected it to.

I gave up on the chinagraph for this purpose and started using thin tipped
permanent markers. Provided your charts are laminated, it comes off with a
bit of white spirit. The permanance is an advantage if you accidentally rub
the chart with your arm in the cockpit and would otherwise wipe your route
off it!

Christian.

mike ring

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

They've disappeared, so I can't find out WTH they were *for*.

Laundry markers. You can still get them, but they're rare.

A similar thing is a Chinagraph pencil, which is still pretty common.
They're very similar to use (they need a lick before they'll write
straight off on a low-friction surface). Not indelible though.

No, not like chinagraph, the laundry markers sounds right, though we
were'nt posh enough to send t'laundry out.

I also STR that they poked down the spines of diaries or notebooks, and I
wonder if the Ernest the Policeman licking his pencil when some feller me
lamb had to have his name and address took had anything to do with it.

Please no remarks about Dennis the Dachshund licking his pencil from lewd
fellows of the baser sort. :-)

mike r
Richard Savage

Dave wrote:

Hi all,

Where can I find the above? I'm after the type that you can flood the
tip by pressing it in and they will write on anything. I seem to recall
that Pentel used to make them, but I've drawn a blank so far

P.S. I don't want the paint type

TIA
--
--dave

I find that the silver and gold pens made by Pentel are very useful for
permanently marking plastic items. I think that the ink uses Xylene as a
solvent. They have a push-nib valve but, unfortunately, I have only been
able to find those two colours. They are available in a couple of widths
IIRC.

HTH Richard

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:48:50 +0000, Richard Savage
wrote:

I find that the silver and gold pens made by Pentel are very useful for
permanently marking plastic items. I think that the ink uses Xylene

That's my main use for them.

But make sure they do use xylene. Most of them have now switched to a
water-based formula and these are useless as any-surface markers.

Bob Mannix

wrote:

I find that the silver and gold pens made by Pentel are very useful for
permanently marking plastic items. I think that the ink uses Xylene

That's my main use for them.

But make sure they do use xylene. Most of them have now switched to a
water-based formula and these are useless as any-surface markers.

It's a general rule that the dangerous stuff works the best. The Xylene pens
have "contents may be fatal if swallowed". That's what I call an
endorsement!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Paul Mc Cann

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:16:25 +0000 (UTC), mike ring
wrote:

Dave wrote in
news
snip

When I were nobbut a lad, just after t'war, I remember these pencils that
you licked, and they wrote in something like ink.

They also wrote if you didn't liick them.

They've disappeared, so I can't find out WTH they were *for*.

snip

ISTR one of their advantages was they couldn't be erased .

Paul Mc Cann