Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Preserve MDF

I just made a table saw sled using 1/2" MDF for the base.

MDF is very prone to expansion from moisture. I have some Minwax Polyurethane.
Suitable to seal the MDF? Just around the edges, or all surfaces?

Thx,
Will
Posted to rec.woodworking

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote in
:

I just made a table saw sled using 1/2" MDF for the base.

MDF is very prone to expansion from moisture. I have some Minwax
Polyurethane. Suitable to seal the MDF? Just around the edges, or all
surfaces?

Thx,
Will

Do the whole thing. The poly should work, but as LJ says "stain and poly
are their own rewards."

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

I just made a table saw sled using 1/2" MDF for the base.

-------------------------------------
Very much a false sense of economy.

MDF for a jig/fixture will come back to bite you.

Slap on a few coats of 1# shellac and pray.

Consider any service life you get as a bonus.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/25/2011 5:03 PM, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

I just made a table saw sled using 1/2" MDF for the base.

MDF is very prone to expansion from moisture. I have some Minwax Polyurethane.
Suitable to seal the MDF? Just around the edges, or all surfaces?

Shellac, right out of the can, works well also. It's what I use, but I
usually have some used tins laying around.

Johnson's Paste Wax will also work and is much slicker than either poly
or shellac, unless you wax them.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in message

I just made a table saw sled using 1/2" MDF for the base.

MDF is very prone to expansion from moisture. I have some Minwax
Polyurethane.
Suitable to seal the MDF? Just around the edges, or all surfaces?

I have a saw sled made of 1/2" MDF also. No finish on it at all. It's still
going strong after 7 years. It lives in an unheated garage in Seattle.
Unless you work in the rain, don't worry about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not rewards, PUNISHMENT, Pucky, you ****-stirrin' SOB.

--
Stain and poly are their own punishment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 18:14:14 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 11/25/2011 5:03 PM, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

I just made a table saw sled using 1/2" MDF for the base.

MDF is very prone to expansion from moisture. I have some Minwax Polyurethane.
Suitable to seal the MDF? Just around the edges, or all surfaces?

Shellac, right out of the can, works well also. It's what I use, but I
usually have some used tins laying around.

Johnson's Paste Wax will also work and is much slicker than either poly
or shellac, unless you wax them.

Also, tell him to stop washing his sleds in the dishwasher.

--
Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because
we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/25/11 11:17 PM, CW wrote:

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in message

I just made a table saw sled using 1/2" MDF for the base.

MDF is very prone to expansion from moisture. I have some Minwax
Polyurethane.
Suitable to seal the MDF? Just around the edges, or all surfaces?

I have a saw sled made of 1/2" MDF also. No finish on it at all. It's
still going strong after 7 years. It lives in an unheated garage in
Seattle. Unless you work in the rain, don't worry about it.

Me, too. More stable than hardwood in those conditions.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 11:36:25 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

I have a saw sled made of 1/2" MDF also. No finish on it at all. It's
still going strong after 7 years. It lives in an unheated garage in
Seattle. Unless you work in the rain, don't worry about it.

Me, too. More stable than hardwood in those conditions.

No rain, just a basement workshop.

I'd probably take your advice, but, sooner or later we'll get the hard, HARD
rain, the bsmt will take a little water, and ...

I got a tenon jig made with what I call waferboard years ago, and it just
"ain't right". The waferboard is even less stable than MDF (I expect), but I
figger the sled will get a chance to suck up some moisture some day.

Thx,
Will
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:13:53 -0800, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

I just made a table saw sled using 1/2" MDF for the base.

-------------------------------------
Very much a false sense of economy.

MDF for a jig/fixture will come back to bite you.

Slap on a few coats of 1# shellac and pray.

Consider any service life you get as a bonus.

I chose the 1/2" to keep the weight down a little, not particularly b/c
it was cheap.

What would/do you use for such an application? The sled base is
something like 24 x 32".

Will

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/26/2011 12:27 PM, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 11:36:25 -0600, wrote:

I have a saw sled made of 1/2" MDF also. No finish on it at all. It's
still going strong after 7 years. It lives in an unheated garage in
Seattle. Unless you work in the rain, don't worry about it.

Me, too. More stable than hardwood in those conditions.

No rain, just a basement workshop.

I'd probably take your advice, but, sooner or later we'll get the hard, HARD
rain, the bsmt will take a little water, and ...

I got a tenon jig made with what I call waferboard years ago, and it just
"ain't right". The waferboard is even less stable than MDF (I expect), but I
figger the sled will get a chance to suck up some moisture some day.

Not all mdf is created equal. Temple-Inland has a product called
"UtlraStock" that is "moisture resistant", and there is a product called
Sierra Pine product called Medite that is also.

Both products are great for jig making. I've been carrying a piece of
Ultrastock around in the back of my pickup, unfinished, for six months
and it is still unaffected by the rain it has been subjected to.

Won't find them at the Borgs, but a hardwood dealer who handles sheet
goods should have it.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 26 Nov 2011 00:06:44 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote in
m:

I just made a table saw sled using 1/2" MDF for the base.

MDF is very prone to expansion from moisture. I have some Minwax
Polyurethane. Suitable to seal the MDF? Just around the edges, or
all surfaces?

Thx,
Will

Do the whole thing. The poly should work, but as LJ says "stain and
poly are their own rewards."

Not rewards, PUNISHMENT, Pucky, you ****-stirrin' SOB.

--
Stain and poly are their own punishment.

That'll teach me not to look up a quote. I thought you used "reward" in
the sarcastic sense. A "you've been bad, so here's your reward" type of
thing.

My apologies,

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 26, 1:34*pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:13:53 -0800, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
I just made a table saw sled using 1/2" MDF for the base.

-------------------------------------
Very much a false sense of economy.

MDF for a jig/fixture will come back to bite you.

Slap on a few coats of 1# shellac and pray.

Consider any service life you get as a bonus.

I chose the 1/2" to keep the weight down a little, not particularly b/c
it was cheap.

What would/do you use for such an application? The sled base is
something like 24 x 32".

Will

a good piece of 1/2 or 3/4 ply - baltic pirch

shelly
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Nov 2011 20:40:08 GMT, Puckdropper
[...]

Accepted, old sport, but with 2 demerits.
Say 3 Hail Roys and cogitate on it.

--
Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because
we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable,
when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities.
-- Susan Rice
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote:

I chose the 1/2" to keep the weight down a little, not particularly
b/c
it was cheap.

What would/do you use for such an application? The sled base is
something like 24 x 32".

-------------------------------
I like to use Birch ply AKA: cabinet ply, die board are some common
names.

Standard sheet size is 60" x 60".

Thicknesses are standard US, not metric, available in 1'4', 3/8",
1/2" (9 ply), 5/8" (11 ply), and 3/4" (13 ply).

There are no voids.

For a sled I'd use 9 ply (1/2") for the base and 13 ply (3/4")
for the verticals..

I like to seal my jigs with a wash coat of shellac, it helps to keep
them clean.

I cut shellac with equal parts of denatured alcohol, then apply 3-4
coats with
a throw away 2" chip brush.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 12:47:28 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Not all mdf is created equal. Temple-Inland has a product called
"UtlraStock" that is "moisture resistant", and there is a product called
Sierra Pine product called Medite that is also.

Both products are great for jig making. I've been carrying a piece of
Ultrastock around in the back of my pickup, unfinished, for six months
and it is still unaffected by the rain it has been subjected to.

Won't find them at the Borgs, but a hardwood dealer who handles sheet
goods should have it.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Looks like Home Depot has the 3/4" Ultrastock. Seems possible that my HD 1/2"
is Ultrastock as well, 'tho it doesn't say so on the label. HD is great at mis-
labeling, neglecting to label, etc.

Will

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote:

Sounds good. I may well try this approach next time if I can find a
supplier
that'll sell me less-than-a-truckload of the stuff.

------------------------------
Forget Lowes & Home Depot.

ANY decent sheet goods distributor will sell you a couple of sheets at
a time.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote:

Sounds good. I may well try this approach next time if I can find a
supplier
that'll sell me less-than-a-truckload of the stuff.

------------------------------
Forget Lowes & Home Depot.

ANY decent sheet goods distributor will sell you a couple of sheets at
a time.

So would Lowes or Home Depot, Lew.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

So would Lowes or Home Depot,

-----------------------------------
Maybe in your neighborhood.

Even if they have started, prefer knowledgeable, local supplier.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

So would Lowes or Home Depot,

-----------------------------------
Maybe in your neighborhood.

Even if they have started, prefer knowledgeable, local supplier.

We must be talking about two different things. Maybe I got lost in the
thread. I saw a post about Lowes and Home Depot requiring a truckload (or
some similar large quantity), requirement. Can't imagine that at any of
their stores - that's not how they do business. Unless... I misunderstood
something in the thread.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
We must be talking about two different things. Maybe I got lost in
the thread. I saw a post about Lowes and Home Depot requiring a
truckload (or some similar large quantity), requirement. Can't
imagine that at any of their stores - that's not how they do
business. Unless... I misunderstood something in the thread.

---------------------------------
60" x 60" die board or birch cabinet ply or Russian ply or Finnish
ply, etc.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:
We must be talking about two different things. Maybe I got lost in
the thread. I saw a post about Lowes and Home Depot requiring a
truckload (or some similar large quantity), requirement. Can't
imagine that at any of their stores - that's not how they do
business. Unless... I misunderstood something in the thread.

---------------------------------
60" x 60" die board or birch cabinet ply or Russian ply or Finnish
ply, etc.

Special order stuff? If so, a truckload is not the minimum order size - at
least at Home Depot - anywhere.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:04:31 -0800, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

60" x 60" die board or birch cabinet ply or Russian ply or Finnish
ply, etc.

I found only one supplier around St. Louis, MO.

http://www.schallerhardwood.com/new_page_2.htm

They carry beau-coup types and sizes of plywood.

All sizes are std 4x8 except Russian Birch 5x5. They will sell me a few for cash.

Thx,
Will
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote:

I found only one supplier around St. Louis, MO.

http://www.schallerhardwood.com/new_page_2.htm

They carry beau-coup types and sizes of plywood.

All sizes are std 4x8 except Russian Birch 5x5. They will sell me a
few for cash.

You found a winner.

5x5 Russian is nice stuff.

Just remember, Russian uses interior glue.

Usually NBD.

Have fun.

Lew