Posted to rec.woodworking

Default dust collector questions

Thinking of getting one. Probably the Jet 1000 with the vortex. But I'm
wondering about the collection bags. I haven't located this info online but
how often might I need to replace bags and how much do they cost? By
replacing, I suspect I just take the bag off, empty the dust collected into
a proper trash receptacle, and reinstall the bag. But how often can I do
this before the bag wears out and why can't I just replace the bag with a
trash can or something like one. Seems it would last longer and cost less
in the long run.

The answers are probably common knowledge but they are escaping me right at
the moment.

Ralph

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ralph Compton wrote:
Thinking of getting one. Probably the Jet 1000 with the vortex. But
I'm wondering about the collection bags. I haven't located this info
online but how often might I need to replace bags and how much do
they cost? By replacing, I suspect I just take the bag off, empty
the dust collected into a proper trash receptacle, and reinstall the
bag. But how often can I do this before the bag wears out and why
can't I just replace the bag with a trash can or something like one. Seems
it would last longer and cost less in the long run.

The bags are heavy weight cloth. They don't wear out any faster than any
other cloth. How often do your much lighter bed sheets wear out?

You could replace the bag with anything you can tightly fit to the chute.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ralph Compton wrote the following:
Thinking of getting one. Probably the Jet 1000 with the vortex. But
I'm wondering about the collection bags. I haven't located this info
online but how often might I need to replace bags and how much do they
cost? By replacing, I suspect I just take the bag off, empty the dust
collected into a proper trash receptacle, and reinstall the bag. But
how often can I do this before the bag wears out and why can't I just
replace the bag with a trash can or something like one. Seems it would
last longer and cost less in the long run.

The answers are probably common knowledge but they are escaping me right
at the moment.

Ralph

I don't have one, but might you be able to put a plastic trash bag into
it, lining the cloth bag?
That way, you won't have to dump the cloth bag into another container,
raising dust or spillage. Just pull the plastic bag out, tie it, and
toss it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think I described this wrong. Some collectors have 2 bags, an upper cloth
bag as a filter, which never wears out or comes off (or rarely), and a
lower, pastic bag, into which the sawdust collects. Eventually this
plastic bag fills up and is disposed of. I think.

Actually, the collector I'm thinking of, the DC1100VX-CK has a filter
canister instead of the upper, cloth filter, bag but still has the lower,
plastic, collector bag. I'm just wondering where to get these lower bags
when they wear out and how much of a life span they actually have.

Some dust collectors have the upper cloth bag, or cannister filter, and then
a lower collector barrel instead of a bag.

"Ralph Compton" wrote in message
m...
Thinking of getting one. Probably the Jet 1000 with the vortex. But I'm
wondering about the collection bags. I haven't located this info online
but how often might I need to replace bags and how much do they cost? By
replacing, I suspect I just take the bag off, empty the dust collected
into a proper trash receptacle, and reinstall the bag. But how often can
I do this before the bag wears out and why can't I just replace the bag
with a trash can or something like one. Seems it would last longer and
cost less in the long run.

The answers are probably common knowledge but they are escaping me right
at the moment.

Ralph

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've had a DC1100 for about 5 years. I'm still using the plastic bag
that came with it, but I bought some spares at Woodcraft. Sorry, I
don't remember what they cost. The bag has been emptied a number of
times and still seems as flexible as the spare bags.

As long as you could come up with as air tight seal on a trash can, I
suppose you could use one.

On 11/20/2011 11:15 AM, Ralph Compton wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/20/2011 12:54 AM, Ralph Compton wrote:
Thinking of getting one. Probably the Jet 1000 with the vortex. But I'm
wondering about the collection bags. I haven't located this info online
but how often might I need to replace bags and how much do they cost? By
replacing, I suspect I just take the bag off, empty the dust collected
into a proper trash receptacle, and reinstall the bag. But how often can
I do this before the bag wears out and why can't I just replace the bag
with a trash can or something like one. Seems it would last longer and
cost less in the long run.

The answers are probably common knowledge but they are escaping me right
at the moment.

Ralph

You can absolutely use the black 4 mil 45 gallon contractor trash bags
sold at Home Depot and most hardware stores. You don't need a clear
bag, just feel the side of the bag occasionally.

Keep us posted on your thoughts on the vortex arrangement should you buy
one.

Let me throw in this observation. Replacing the bag is an acquired
skill. It is a lot like walking and chewing gum at the same time. Easy
for some more difficult for a few others. After 5 years I have finally
mastered the art of changing the lower bag. ;~)

I remove the pleated top canister and do all of my uninstall and
reinstall of the bottom bag through the center opening. Mine does not
have the vortex arrangement but.......

The vortex object occupies this space and will necessitate the bag
being changed from below the center section.

I would certainly have a sales guy give you a hands on demonstration of
how to change the bottom bag out in less that 30 minutes.....

Just something that you should be aware of.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 22:54:20 -0800, "Ralph Compton"
wrote:

Thinking of getting one. Probably the Jet 1000 with the vortex. But I'm
wondering about the collection bags. I haven't located this info online but
how often might I need to replace bags and how much do they cost? By
replacing, I suspect I just take the bag off, empty the dust collected into
a proper trash receptacle, and reinstall the bag. But how often can I do
this before the bag wears out and why can't I just replace the bag with a
trash can or something like one. Seems it would last longer and cost less
in the long run.

The answers are probably common knowledge but they are escaping me right at
the moment.

I have a PennState DC, with the two bags, so it's a probably little different
than the Jet (I don't see a Jet 1000). When I empty it (not very often) I
just beat the top bag so whatever is lodged in it falls to the bottom and then
pull off the bottom bag and dump it into a trash bag. I just put the open end
of the DC bag into the bottom of the trash bag and pull it up. Since the DC
bad is cloth there is no suction to stick them together.

Big suggestion: use a chip separator in front of the DC. This will reduce the
dust going into the DC by 75% and make it even easier to clean.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 12:54*am, "Ralph Compton"
wrote:
Thinking of getting one. *Probably the Jet 1000 with the vortex. *But I'm
wondering about the collection bags. *I haven't located this info online but
how often might I need to replace bags and how much do they cost? *By
replacing, I suspect I just take the bag off, empty the dust collected into
a proper trash receptacle, and reinstall the bag. *But how often can I do
this before the bag wears out and why can't I just replace the bag with a
trash can or something like one. *Seems it would last longer and cost less
in the long run.

The answers are probably common knowledge but they are escaping me right at
the moment.

Ralph

I have the 1-1/2 HP Grizzly (model G1028Z) and love it. It uses a
fairly heavy weight lower plastic bag and I bought one spare at about
$12 when I bought the machine a year ago. I'm not sure if I will use
the spare any time soon. When I bought the machine it came with a
cyclone trash can lid. They sell separately at around $25-30 and had
some doubts about its effectiveness until I chased down a metal trash
can and put it to use.

Based on my experience, and others comments, the trash can collector
is the way to go. Replacing the lower bag on the collector is a
little "fiddly". You remove a large band clamp, release bag from some
small barbs, empty it and then go through the reverse procedure which
is even slower. The trash can collector must stop 90-95% of the
debris before it gets to the collector bag because I have only removed
the lower bag 2 or 3 times in the year I have owned the system.
Dumping the can involves removing a bungee (my add-on) and removing
the lid (hoses stay attached to lid), dumping the can, and replacing
the lid and bungee. I spend more time walking to the trash cart or
garden then handling the cyclone lid. The cyclone also keeps heavier
chunks of wood or metal away from the impeller. About the only
disadvantage is that it uses a 2-3 square feet of floor space. This
is the lid I have:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/30-G...eparator/G3376

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 09:18:18 -0500, willshak
wrote:

[...]

Ideally, you would match the fabric area to the CFM output. If you
just put a plastic bag on the bottom, it could decrease the total CFM
and stress the motor. Time for research!

Cut out a rectangular hole in the outside of the bag hoop and add
another welded-in hoop for the extra air output.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ralph Compton wrote:

Thinking of getting one. Probably the Jet 1000 with the vortex. But I'm
wondering about the collection bags. I haven't located this info online
but
how often might I need to replace bags and how much do they cost? By
replacing, I suspect I just take the bag off, empty the dust collected
into
a proper trash receptacle, and reinstall the bag. But how often can I do
this before the bag wears out and why can't I just replace the bag with a
trash can or something like one. Seems it would last longer and cost less
in the long run.

The answers are probably common knowledge but they are escaping me right
at the moment.

Ralph

Ralph, two things.

First, no you do not need to dispose of the collection bag, unless you just
want to. Its totally your option. However, if you do, I would strongly
advise you to put the plastic bag (Yes the large, and cheap, bags from HD or
Wal-Mart work just fine) INSIDE whatever originally came with the DC.

Secondly, you really do not need to worry about filtration at all. In fact
my DC has no filter bag, or collection bag. I had ther 1,200CFM (claimed)
DC form HF and it worked "okay." I then put an additional filter bag on it
to increase through put. That worked better.

Finally, I threw away the filter bag, the collector bag, took the motor and
impeller and mounted them up overhead in my shop, put a cyclone just
upstream (between it and the blastgates) and vented the discharge outside
the shop into a little building (3x3x4.5) with a 32gal trash can in it to
catch the dust, with a piece of course burlap over the can to keep the dust
somewhat contained. It worked a lot better.

THEN, one day I noticed the piece of burlap that I had put over the can was
all clogged with dust and pulled off, intending to clean it and put it back
on - but got side tracked and just did not get around to it. A bit later, I
had something to cut and fired up the DC and it was like a new setup. I had
vaccum you would not believe. Needless to say, the burlap stayed off.

Deb

Posted to rec.woodworking

Seems to be a little corn-fusion on the two bags. The upper cloth bag
is a filter, where the air generated exits the collector. The lower
bag is where the sawdust collects, and that is the one that gets
emptied when full. I have a Delta, and after 5 years, have never
removed or "cleaned" the upper cloth bag. But the one thing I got was
a plastic "cyclone" lid for a 30 gallon metal garbage can. It just
lays on the top of the garbage can, and over 90% of the dust collected
goes to the metal can. It's a lot easier to dump than unfastening the
lower plastic bag on the collector itself. I only end up dumping the
plastic bag about once a year, unless I forget to empty the garbage
can!

Hope this helps.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 21, 7:56*am, rich wrote:
Seems to be a little corn-fusion on the two bags. *The upper cloth bag
is a filter, where the air generated exits the collector. *The lower
bag is where the sawdust collects, and that is the one that gets
emptied when full. *I have a Delta, and after 5 years, have never
removed or "cleaned" the upper cloth bag. *But the one thing I got was
a plastic "cyclone" lid for a 30 gallon metal garbage can. *It just
lays on the top of the garbage can, and over 90% of the dust collected
goes to the metal can. *It's a lot easier to dump than unfastening the
lower plastic bag on the collector itself. *I only end up dumping the
plastic bag about once a year, unless I forget to empty the garbage
can!

Hope this helps.....

Oh - and another thing....... If you use a cyclone garbage can lid,
resist the temptation to put a trash bag in the can to make emptying
easier. Those bags make funny noises when you start the collector the
first time; and they are hell to clean out of the impeller!

Not that I did it our anything. )
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 21, 7:56*am, rich wrote:
Seems to be a little corn-fusion on the two bags. *The upper cloth bag
is a filter, where the air generated exits the collector. *The lower
bag is where the sawdust collects, and that is the one that gets
emptied when full. *I have a Delta, and after 5 years, have never
removed or "cleaned" the upper cloth bag. *But the one thing I got was
a plastic "cyclone" lid for a 30 gallon metal garbage can. *It just
lays on the top of the garbage can, and over 90% of the dust collected
goes to the metal can. *It's a lot easier to dump than unfastening the
lower plastic bag on the collector itself. *I only end up dumping the
plastic bag about once a year, unless I forget to empty the garbage
can!

Hope this helps.....

I would also add....... If you use a cyclone garbage can lid, resist
the temptation to put a trash bag in the can to make emptying easier.
Those bags make funny noises when you start the collector the first
time; and they are hell to clean out of the impeller!

Not that I did it our anything. )
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 05:56:31 -0800 (PST), rich
wrote:

Seems to be a little corn-fusion on the two bags. The upper cloth bag
is a filter, where the air generated exits the collector. The lower
bag is where the sawdust collects, and that is the one that gets
emptied when full. I have a Delta, and after 5 years, have never
removed or "cleaned" the upper cloth bag. But the one thing I got was
a plastic "cyclone" lid for a 30 gallon metal garbage can. It just
lays on the top of the garbage can, and over 90% of the dust collected
goes to the metal can. It's a lot easier to dump than unfastening the
lower plastic bag on the collector itself. I only end up dumping the
plastic bag about once a year, unless I forget to empty the garbage
can!

Hope this helps.....

I've had to empty my upper bag more than once. ;-(

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 12:37*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[snipped for brevity]

One thing I find handy, is using 4-5 penny-size rare earth magnets to
hold the bag in place till the band gets put on. I used to use tape as
my third hand, but that stuff doesn't stick to dust very well.

Magnets are your friends.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"RonB" wrote in message
On Nov 21, 7:56 am, rich wrote:
[...]

So you did that *twice*? ;-)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/21/2011 10:14 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 20, 12:37 pm, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[snipped for brevity]

One thing I find handy, is using 4-5 penny-size rare earth magnets to
hold the bag in place till the band gets put on. I used to use tape as
my third hand, but that stuff doesn't stick to dust very well.

Magnets are your friends.

Until they stick to each other ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 21, 10:21*am, "Max" wrote:
"RonB" wrote in message

On Nov 21, 7:56 am, rich wrote:

[...]

So you did that *twice*? *;-)

Max

No - I did learn.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Call these folks and get a box full that will last "many" moons:

http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/polybags.php

These are VERY tough bags and I have a MUCH larger unit than
the one you are planning on.

I would also take a look at some sort of 2 stage setup with
a garbage can,etc,etc.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/dusthose.htm#530

or even cooler arrangement:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cyclone-Sepa...em3ef67a 7a8b

On 11/20/2011 1:54 AM, Ralph Compton wrote:
Thinking of getting one. Probably the Jet 1000 with the vortex. But I'm
wondering about the collection bags. I haven't located this info online
but how often might I need to replace bags and how much do they cost? By
replacing, I suspect I just take the bag off, empty the dust collected
into a proper trash receptacle, and reinstall the bag. But how often can
I do this before the bag wears out and why can't I just replace the bag
with a trash can or something like one. Seems it would last longer and
cost less in the long run.

The answers are probably common knowledge but they are escaping me right
at the moment.

Ralph

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Thinking of getting one. Probably the Jet 1000 with the vortex. But I'm
wondering about the collection bags. I haven't located this info online but
how often might I need to replace bags and how much do they cost? By
replacing, I suspect I just take the bag off, empty the dust collected into
a proper trash receptacle, and reinstall the bag. But how often can I do
this before the bag wears out and why can't I just replace the bag with a
trash can or something like one. Seems it would last longer and cost less
in the long run.

The answers are probably common knowledge but they are escaping me right at
the moment.

Ralph

You may want to read the latest Fine Woodworking Tools & BShops issue,
with the article dust collectors. Most of the cartridges, and I think
the Jet is one, pass dust below 2 microns, which is the very fine
carcinogenic dust, and essentially pump it all through your workshop.

I have a Grizzly dust collector which came with a 2.5 micron filter
bag and a fabric collection bag below. The collection bag was
essentially a 30 micron bag that allowed all kinds of visible and
invisible dust to pass.

What I am thinking of doing is to replace the filter bag with a Wynn
Environmental filter.
http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm. FYI, Wynn also
carries clear 4mil collection bags.

Then I am thinking of make what's called a Thein separator that fits
into my dust collector, similar to the Jet vortex. If it works as
advertised, I should get good separation of fines from larger dust
particles. If it works well enough, I may be able to avoid clogging
the filter all the time. A downside is that the stuff still has to go
through the impeller. I imagine the Jet vortex has the same problem.

After that I want to upgrade my plumbing to 6" per Bill Pentz' site.

Anyway, I won't have a cyclone, but I hope it will be a big
improvement. If it doesn't work out, then I guess it is a cyclone for
me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 11:44:39 -0800 (PST), RonB wrote:

[...]

A friend of mine gave me one of these he'd had for several years and never used.
I just got a metal trash can a few days ago, and want to set it up. Is there
some trick to this? The holes on the one I have are bigger than 4" pvc drain
pipe and there is no stub flange to clamp a couple hoses to. I haven't found an
online manual for the thing. Seems to me this must be a pretty simple hookup,
but I'm missing something.

Thanks for any clarification.

Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.grizzly.com/products/30-G...on-2-Stage-Cyc...

RonB

A friend of mine gave me one of these he'd had for several years and never used.
I just got a metal trash can a few days ago, and want to set it up. *Is there
some trick to this? *The holes on the one I have are bigger than 4" pvc drain
pipe and there is no stub flange to clamp a couple hoses to. *I haven't found an
online manual for the thing. *Seems to me this must be a pretty simple hookup,
but I'm missing something.

Thanks for any clarification.

Roy

On my Woodstock lid the hoses fit rather tightly into the holes in the
lid. I almost had to screw the hose into the openings.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 05:57:23 -0800 (PST), RonB wrote:

A friend of mine gave me one of these he'd had for several years and never used.
I just got a metal trash can a few days ago, and want to set it up. *Is there
some trick to this? *The holes on the one I have are bigger than 4" pvc drain
pipe and there is no stub flange to clamp a couple hoses to. *I haven't found an
online manual for the thing. *Seems to me this must be a pretty simple hookup,
but I'm missing something.

Thanks for any clarification.

Roy

On my Woodstock lid the hoses fit rather tightly into the holes in the
lid. I almost had to screw the hose into the openings.

Well, I certainly feel like an idiot. I ran right out and took the QD off the
end of one of the hoses and stuck it down the hole. It worked pretty good, but
had a noticeable leak between the hose and the top. This is one of the very
cheap wire wrapped vinyl hoses. I stuck the QD fitting I was holding in the
other hole from the inside out. I think I will order a couple more QD fittings
and silicone them into the holes to simplify hooking it up to various other
machines. Thanks for the exploitation!

Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 24, 11:18*am, Roy wrote:
[...]

I am using Woodstock Hose with same-brand of lid and that might make a
difference. I have not done much to seal my system since I am still
dragging the hose from tool to tool. When I start putting a manifold
system in I'll work more on sealing. I know of a local guy who used
an off-the-shelf self-stick rubber sealer around the joint between lid
and can. I have not done that yet because the suction does a pretty
good job of pulling the lid down; but I do have a bungee extended
across the top from the can handles to keep it in place.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/24/2011 12:23 PM, RonB wrote:

I am using Woodstock Hose with same-brand of lid and that might make a
difference. I have not done much to seal my system since I am still
dragging the hose from tool to tool. When I start putting a manifold
system in I'll work more on sealing. I know of a local guy who used
an off-the-shelf self-stick rubber sealer around the joint between lid
and can. I have not done that yet because the suction does a pretty
good job of pulling the lid down; but I do have a bungee extended
across the top from the can handles to keep it in place.

Ron, have you ever tried removing the lid with the DC on? My lid just
sits on my barrel and it won't come off when running. Sort of like a
vacuum chuck on a lathe...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/22/2011 1:41 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

or even cooler arrangement:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cyclone-Sepa...em3ef67a 7a8b

My arrangement is similar to this one except the collector hose (not
shown in this picture?) comes straight out of the middle of the lid.
The lid on the paper drum is the one that came with the drum, but I
reinforced the cardboard lid with plywood for durability.

On the sides of the barrel I have 4 hoses running to various machines,
Tsaw, Jointer, Planer and Belt/disk sander. The hoses connect to
shutoffs on the barrel, which connect to 45° pvc connectors inside the
barrel which force the incoming chips to swirl around the barrel and
drop around the sides of the barrel. Only fine powder gets drawn up the
4" pipe to the collector. The barrel is located between my Tsaw/jointer
and Planer/sander. I can reach the shutoff from my Tsaw, or from my
Planer/Sander. No hoses to move, just slide a gate open or closed.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon, I did get the Jet Vortex 1100 with the canister filter. Setup is
simple, just follow instructions. I sucked up a bunch of saw dust from my
Dust Deputy to see how it works. Did it just fine and it seemed like all
the sawdust went swirling down into the plastic collection bag right away.
I also needed to dump my shredder waste (crosscut shredder) so brought the
basket down to the shop and vaccumed it out with the Jet hose necked down to
2". Did fine and, just like the sawdust, all the paper pieces seemed to
swirl down into the plastic bag right away.

I think I am going to have to get some sort of 4" hose that doesn't try to
pull away from my 2" equipment. The suction of the DC causes the 4" hose to
shrink when I put any sort of restriction on it. Suspect maybe some sort of
vaccum relief device?

On a very positive note, I absolutely love how quiet the DC is compared to
the SV. And I got one of the remote, wireless, switches from Rockler and
that has simplified things too!

Ralph

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 3, 9:52*am, Jack wrote:
On 11/24/2011 12:23 PM, RonB wrote:

I am using Woodstock Hose with same-brand of lid and that might make a
difference. *I have not done much to seal my system since I am still
dragging the hose from tool to tool. *When I start putting a manifold
system in I'll work more on sealing. *I know of a local guy who used
an off-the-shelf self-stick rubber sealer around the joint between lid
and can. * I have not done that yet because the suction does a pretty
good job of pulling the lid down; but I do have a bungee extended
across the top from the can handles to keep it in place.

Ron, have you ever tried removing the lid with the DC on? * My lid just
sits on my barrel and it won't come off when running. * Sort of like a
vacuum chuck on a lathe...

--
Jack
Add Life to your Days not Days to your Life.http://jbstein.com

Sorry, Been on the road.

The vacuum from the collector keeps the lid tightly pressed on the rim
of the can. Even with the collector turned off, it takes a moment to
release the lid as the impeller winds down.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2011 10:16 PM, Ralph Compton wrote:
[...]

Cool! I have been using the "Rockler" 10' clear plastic 4" hoses with
couplings to make 20'. The hose is pretty robust and only shrinks up a
small bit when totally blocking the end of the hose. There are lots
clear wire reinforces hosed out there but the Rockler one is great IMHO.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 21, 10:21*am, "Max" wrote:
"RonB" wrote in message

On Nov 21, 7:56 am, rich wrote:

[...]

OOOOOPPPpsss!

Sorry 'bout that. I thought we had two separate strings going on dust
collection.

RonB