Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodcraft ply bunlde.

I went to woodcraft to pick up the baltic/finnish ply bundle they have
on sale for 19.99.

I figured I couldn't lose, and I haven't, but I didn't get what I
expected. In it was a piece of luan, and 2 pieces of cheap ply .
The finnish ply has voids and a very wierd overlap. Overall I probably
got my monies worth, but when they advertise baltic and finnish you
expect that, not substitutes.

See their ad.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...-Bundle-1.aspx

See pics in the binaries group....

I don't know.... there was no mention of LUAN in the text. Nor crappy
voids... Now we have to deal with crappy high quality ply...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 2, 5:38*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
I went to woodcraft to pick up the baltic/finnish ply bundle they have
on sale for 19.99.

I figured I couldn't lose, and I haven't, but I didn't get what I
expected. In it was a piece of luan, and 2 pieces of cheap ply .
The finnish ply has voids and a very wierd overlap. Overall I probably
got my monies worth, but when they advertise baltic and finnish you
expect that, not substitutes.

See their ad.http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...-Bundle-1.aspx

See pics in the binaries group....

I don't know.... there was no mention of LUAN in the text. Nor crappy
voids... Now we have to deal with crappy high quality ply...

You didn't get what you paid for. I'll bet the luan was just the cover
sheets used to ship the units of baltic that got cut down and thrown
into the drop pile along with the other scap.. They said "Overrun of
major cutting project" but it sounds more like you got the "drop" from
a large cutting project and saved them the dump costs. If the pieces
were as described it would be a valuable purchase regardless of overun
or drop but I hate it when you get this marketing/advertising spin...
and I am a marketer! Worse when you don't get what they advertised.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 2, 7:38*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
I went to woodcraft to pick up the baltic/finnish ply bundle they have
on sale for 19.99.

I figured I couldn't lose, and I haven't, but I didn't get what I
expected. In it was a piece of luan, and 2 pieces of cheap ply .
The finnish ply has voids and a very wierd overlap. Overall I probably
got my monies worth, but when they advertise baltic and finnish you
expect that, not substitutes.

See their ad.http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...-Bundle-1.aspx

See pics in the binaries group....

I don't know.... there was no mention of LUAN in the text. Nor crappy
voids... Now we have to deal with crappy high quality ply...

I think you got rinkey-doooed (polite way of saying "screwed"). I
cannot speak to "Finland" Birch; but the top grade Baltic Birch that I
have purchased is high quality, practically no visible edge voids and
can be finished with minimal sanding. It comes in 60" square sheets.
I have some in the garage that is, I believe, grade C that has visible
knots in one face but they are nicely patched with matching wood.

This is the material that a lot of cabinet shops use for casing and
even drawers. Some museums use it for display backgrounds. Luan is
cheap stuff.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 13:32:21 -0700, RonB wrote:

I cannot
speak to "Finland" Birch; but the top grade Baltic Birch that I have
purchased is high quality, practically no visible edge voids and can be
finished with minimal sanding.

The Finnish plywood I've seen is just as good as the Baltic. Difference
being the Finnish is put together with waterproof glue, much better for
outside work, but costs more than the Baltic.

I'm going to be at a Woodcraft tonight - I'll look and see what they have.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 23:21:05 +0000, Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 13:32:21 -0700, RonB wrote:

I cannot
speak to "Finland" Birch; but the top grade Baltic Birch that I have
purchased is high quality, practically no visible edge voids and can be
finished with minimal sanding.

The Finnish plywood I've seen is just as good as the Baltic. Difference
being the Finnish is put together with waterproof glue, much better for
outside work, but costs more than the Baltic.

I'm going to be at a Woodcraft tonight - I'll look and see what they
have.

They didn't seem to have any of the bundles and I got the impression they
were not going to get any.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Why don't you call them and tell them you don't think you got what was
advertised or tour monies worth. I suspect they'll make it right.

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in news:1amdnRJ8Dv4
: