Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Best pen kit at Woodcraft

I want to make a last minute gift this weekend so I can't order
online. There is a Woodcraft near me and I have made a few of their
slimline pens before which were nice. But I would like to make
something that has a very nice writting feel to it, perhaps fountain
pen. They have quite a few types and I was wondering which ones
people liked the best. Something with a real quality feel, cost
aside.

-Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 12/14/2010 7:46 AM, jtpryan wrote:
I want to make a last minute gift this weekend so I can't order
online. There is a Woodcraft near me and I have made a few of their
slimline pens before which were nice. But I would like to make
something that has a very nice writting feel to it, perhaps fountain
pen. They have quite a few types and I was wondering which ones
people liked the best. Something with a real quality feel, cost
aside.

-Jim

Jim:

The best pen kit I've found and used are the Majestic kits. Can't seem
to find them at Woodcraft and Rockler seems to have gotten out of them.
Penn State Industries has them he
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMAFTP.html

They have both fountain and rollerball in rhodium and gold. I made two
out of amboyna burl and they look and feel terrific - substantial
weight, large diameter, excellent quality. They even contain a Swarovski
crystal in the clip.

Only downside is the cap doesn't fit on the pen, but I've got a number
of high-end pens (e.g. Mont Blanc) like this.

~Mark.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Dec 14, 7:46*am, jtpryan wrote:
I want to make a last minute gift this weekend so I can't order
online. There is a Woodcraft near me and I have made a few of their
slimline pens before which were nice. *But I would like to make
something that has a very nice writting feel to it, perhaps fountain
pen. *They have quite a few types and I was wondering which ones
people liked the best. *Something with a real quality feel, cost
aside.

-Jim

Jim,
To answer your question within the parameters you've listed, I've had
success with the European Style ballpoint pen. Get the best finish you
can afford (#128260/62). About $12 in Woodcraft Gold with tax. Not a
roller ball or a fountain pen, but the ball point inserts are pretty
smooth.
If 'smoothness' of writing if your prime requirement, go with the
American Style roller ball in Woodcraft Gold, about $16 in Woodcraft
Gold. I personally prefer the European(Mont Blanc) design over the
American (Parker), but that's just me. Obviously others like the
Parker style, since they're still making them,
Good luck.
Tom Weber in Merritt Island Florida (not too sunny at the moment!)
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 12/16/2010 11:32 AM, tpurhrt wrote:
On Dec 14, 7:46 am, wrote:
[...]

not one of the fountain pen kits you will find will have a quality nib -
good nibs have palladium tips and a lot of gold, the nib would cost 10 X
what they sell the kit for - you could get a decent nib from an art
supply place, or buy a reasonable fountain pen (such as pilot) and turn
a wooden back for it, but all in all, I'd go with a thin twist pen and
buy a real cross cartridge for it instead of the cheap copy they give
you with the pen. If you want to give a fountain pen, Pelican is nice,
but I think the bottom end of their line is about $1000