Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Glass

I am in the middle of a large project again, yes more towers. ;!) I am
building a pantry for our new home, It stands 8' tall and will be about
8' wide when completed. Thgis is going to be a country style pantry, it
will have glass cabinet doors that expose the can goods inside.

Originally I was thinking clear glass but have come to think that glass
that defuses the image of the contents of the pantry might be better.
I still want to be to identify what is behind the 4 doors but might not
want to see with great clarity until the doors are open. We want the
colors of what is in the cabinet to show through.

Any thoughts?

I am considering non glare but was wondering if there might be a spray
or something that might accomplish the same thing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/11 1:10 PM, Leon wrote:
I am in the middle of a large project again, yes more towers. ;!) I am
building a pantry for our new home, It stands 8' tall and will be about
8' wide when completed. Thgis is going to be a country style pantry, it
will have glass cabinet doors that expose the can goods inside.

Originally I was thinking clear glass but have come to think that glass
that defuses the image of the contents of the pantry might be better.
I still want to be to identify what is behind the 4 doors but might not
want to see with great clarity until the doors are open. We want the
colors of what is in the cabinet to show through.

Any thoughts?

I am considering non glare but was wondering if there might be a spray
or something that might accomplish the same thing.

Sounds good, acid etching is possible, but very hard to achieve uniform
results. Call around some local glass shops, ask about frosted glass,
(it is similar to some glass shower doors) go visit, and take a couple
tin cans with labels with you, see if it is the effect you want.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 12:10:29 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

I am in the middle of a large project again, yes more towers. ;!) I am

(Hey, Swingy. Just how short IS Leon?)

building a pantry for our new home, It stands 8' tall and will be about
8' wide when completed. Thgis is going to be a country style pantry, it
will have glass cabinet doors that expose the can goods inside.

How quaint.

Originally I was thinking clear glass but have come to think that glass
that defuses the image of the contents of the pantry might be better.
I still want to be to identify what is behind the 4 doors but might not
want to see with great clarity until the doors are open. We want the
colors of what is in the cabinet to show through.

Any thoughts?

I am considering non glare but was wondering if there might be a spray
or something that might accomplish the same thing.

Sandblasted glass takes on fingerprints more easily than gloss glass
and it's a lot harder to clean. I recommend against it.

How about an application of privacy film to the glass, maybe in Rice
Paper? http://goo.gl/xwKsA It would be easier to clean while adding
both class and functionality. Use the thickest stuff you can find.
That Gila gold sunblocking film is ghastly to work with. When (not if)
it wrinkles, it takes the color with it, leaving nasty voids.

Maybe look for frosted shelf paper. It's thicker. http://goo.gl/VLGdR
http://goo.gl/FmBsQ or http://goo.gl/2Wu1G , and consider a wooden
frame around the glass doors.

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

you can spray lacquer on sand blasted glass which makes fingerprint
removal not a problem. heating it to 1225 for 8 minutes also gives you a
satin finish on blasted glass that doesn't show any fingerprints.

How about an application of privacy film to the glass, maybe in Rice
Paper? http://goo.gl/xwKsA It would be easier to clean while adding
both class and functionality. Use the thickest stuff you can find.
That Gila gold sunblocking film is ghastly to work with. When (not if)
it wrinkles, it takes the color with it, leaving nasty voids.

Maybe look for frosted shelf paper. It's thicker. http://goo.gl/VLGdR
http://goo.gl/FmBsQ or http://goo.gl/2Wu1G , and consider a wooden
frame around the glass doors.

there are literally hundreds of different, but clear, patterned glasses.
a stained glass store will have some of them that they'd probably cut to
size for you for a very small fee. a place that provides window glass
would have catalogs of architectural pattern glass for perusal, but
they'd probably only have a few on hand. the rest they could order.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/ChaniArts

Posted to rec.woodworking

*We want the
colors of what is in the cabinet to show through.

Any thoughts?

I am considering non glare but was wondering if there might be a spray
or something that might accomplish the same thing.

Find and visit your local stained glass hobby shop. I found one
locally and they had lots of diffused or textured glass onhand to
choose from and were very nice in selling me a good set of glass
cutting tools and showed me how to use them.

Once you see what you want in person, you can order online if they
don't have enough stock on-hand. Just search on stained glass supplies
and they also carry the diffused and textured styles.

Glass is a lot of fun to work with. I have a pending project where I
will use frosted glass and I am really looking forward to it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
I am in the middle of a large project again, yes more towers. ;!) I
am building a pantry for our new home, It stands 8' tall and will be
about 8' wide when completed. Thgis is going to be a country style
pantry, it will have glass cabinet doors that expose the can goods
inside.
Originally I was thinking clear glass but have come to think that
glass that defuses the image of the contents of the pantry might be
better. I still want to be to identify what is behind the 4 doors but
might
not want to see with great clarity until the doors are open. We want
the colors of what is in the cabinet to show through.

Any thoughts?

I am considering non glare but was wondering if there might be a spray
or something that might accomplish the same thing.

Yes there is. You can get matte lacquer in rattle cans. One brand is
McDonalds, used to use it to spray photographic prints. It comes in
"retouching" (very matte with a tooth), matte, semigloss and gloss. You can
also make your own by adding talc to lacquer.

Of course, there is sand blasting. And if you want to do it yourself (I
wouldn't) you can use emery powder with some oil and grind with another
piece of glass. Takes a while...I know because I needed a sizeable piece
for a camera; tried hydrofluoric acid first, all it did was eat the glass.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am in the middle of a large project again, yes more towers. ;!) I am

(Hey, Swingy. Just how short IS Leon?)

4' 24"

[...]

Now you are talking, I'll check into that. I was hoping for an add on.

Maybe look for frosted shelf paper. It's thicker. http://goo.gl/VLGdR
http://goo.gl/FmBsQ or http://goo.gl/2Wu1G , and consider a wooden
frame around the glass doors.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I actually used to do stained glass, and am aware of those alternatives
but I have a lot of glass to buy, 15 x 39, 4 times and 15 x 15, 4 times.
I have considered glue chip glass but that might draw too much attention
and antique glass would be a cool alternative.

Posted to rec.woodworking

We want the
colors of what is in the cabinet to show through.

Any thoughts?

I am considering non glare but was wondering if there might be a spray
or something that might accomplish the same thing.

Find and visit your local stained glass hobby shop. I found one
locally and they had lots of diffused or textured glass onhand to
choose from and were very nice in selling me a good set of glass
cutting tools and showed me how to use them.

Once you see what you want in person, you can order online if they
don't have enough stock on-hand. Just search on stained glass supplies
and they also carry the diffused and textured styles.

Glass is a lot of fun to work with. I have a pending project where I
will use frosted glass and I am really looking forward to it.

I use to do stained glassm foiling, leading, soldering grozing, cutting
...... but that stuff gets expensive.. I still have my glass grinder.
I swear I am going to get back into that some day. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/2011 2:23 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

Ah yes!!! I use to spray some thing like that on my drafting drawings
way back when and later sprayed on pictures that I developed and enlarged.

Of course, there is sand blasting. And if you want to do it yourself (I
wouldn't) you can use emery powder with some oil and grind with another
piece of glass. Takes a while...I know because I needed a sizeable piece
for a camera; tried hydrofluoric acid first, all it did was eat the glass.

I am looking for something simple and reversible in case I don't like it

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 12:10:29 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

ROTFLMAO!!

Wait, WTH am I laughing at ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am looking for something simple and reversible in case I don't like it- Hide quoted text -

I know they have films for tinting. I suppose they have films for
diffusing glass. Google finds this
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...-Mat_Patterns/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
I am in the middle of a large project again, yes more towers. ;!) I
am building a pantry for our new home, It stands 8' tall and will be
about 8' wide when completed. Thgis is going to be a country style
pantry, it will have glass cabinet doors that expose the can goods
inside.
Originally I was thinking clear glass but have come to think that
glass that defuses the image of the contents of the pantry might be
better. I still want to be to identify what is behind the 4 doors but
might
not want to see with great clarity until the doors are open. We want
the colors of what is in the cabinet to show through.

Any thoughts?

I am considering non glare but was wondering if there might be a spray
or something that might accomplish the same thing.

Over in the window-film section of your local BORG you can find a film that
does what you want. Think of distorting the plain glass window that the
idiot builders installed in the shower. The stores even have films nowadays
that mimic stained glass - and mimic it quite well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/2011 2:32 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

well is in the eye of the beholder. imnsho, as someone in the glass
business, not so well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
I am in the middle of a large project again, yes more towers. ;!) I am
building a pantry for our new home, It stands 8' tall and will be about
8' wide when completed. Thgis is going to be a country style pantry, it
will have glass cabinet doors that expose the can goods inside.

Originally I was thinking clear glass but have come to think that glass
that defuses the image of the contents of the pantry might be better.
I still want to be to identify what is behind the 4 doors but might not
want to see with great clarity until the doors are open. We want the
colors of what is in the cabinet to show through.

Any thoughts?

I am considering non glare but was wondering if there might be a spray
or something that might accomplish the same thing.

I have used Krylon Frosted glass finish with good results on an
entrance door which was clear. It can be removed with a razor blade
or lacquer thinner.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00114LS5A/...linkCode%3Dasn

--
Gerald Ross

Afraid of heights? Not me, I'm afraid
of widths! --Steven Wright

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 14:14:49 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

I am looking for something simple and reversible in case I don't like it- Hide quoted text -

I know they have films for tinting. I suppose they have films for
diffusing glass. Google finds this
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...-Mat_Patterns/

Also:

http://www.wallpaperforwindows.com/p...w-Film-c37.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am in the middle of a large project again, yes more towers. ;!) I am
building a pantry for our new home, It stands 8' tall and will be about
8' wide when completed. Thgis is going to be a country style pantry, it
will have glass cabinet doors that expose the can goods inside.

Originally I was thinking clear glass but have come to think that glass
that defuses the image of the contents of the pantry might be better.
I still want to be to identify what is behind the 4 doors but might not
want to see with great clarity until the doors are open. We want the
colors of what is in the cabinet to show through.

Any thoughts?

I am considering non glare but was wondering if there might be a spray
or something that might accomplish the same thing.

How about some large-format photographs on cheap 1/8" ply that LOOK
like canned-goods-behind-glass? That way, you could photoshop the
exact look and image you want.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:55:07 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 12:10:29 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

ROTFLMAO!!

Wait, WTH am I laughing at ...

Yeah, once you get it, IT SUCKS!

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/2011 4:32 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

Hummmmmmm! Did not know that existed. I'll check that out!

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am looking for something simple and reversible in case I don't like it- Hide quoted text -

I know they have films for tinting. I suppose they have films for
diffusing glass. Google finds this
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...-Mat_Patterns/

Ahhh, exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am looking for something simple and reversible in case I don't like it- Hide quoted text -

I know they have films for tinting. I suppose they have films for
diffusing glass. Google finds this
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...-Mat_Patterns/

Also:

http://www.wallpaperforwindows.com/p...w-Film-c37.htm

Boy Ask and you shall receive. Thank you Nova!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am looking for something simple and reversible in case I don't
like it- Hide quoted text -

I know they have films for tinting. I suppose they have films for
diffusing glass. Google finds this
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...-Mat_Patterns/

Also:

http://www.wallpaperforwindows.com/p...w-Film-c37.htm

Boy Ask and you shall receive. Thank you Nova!

I especially like the MARIJUANA one near the bottom. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I am looking for something simple and reversible in case I don't
like it- Hide quoted text - - Show quoted text -

I know they have films for tinting. I suppose they have films for
diffusing glass. Google finds this
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...-Mat_Patterns/

Ahhh, exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you

Caution: It seems to be "static cling" rather than permanent.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Well that is a cool idea but my thoughts are that you might still want
to see what is behind of each of the 4 doors. Sort of a shape
recognition thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

Over in the window-film section of your local BORG you can find a
film that does what you want. Think of distorting the plain glass
window that the idiot builders installed in the shower.

Idiot builders??? Stop - think about that for just a second... On second
thought - it somewhat depends on what the wife looks like...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/2011 5:38 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

Looks like the least expensive alternative. I'll keep that in mind,
Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/2011 12:10 PM, Leon wrote:
I am in the middle of a large project again, yes more towers. ;!) I am
building a pantry for our new home, It stands 8' tall and will be about
8' wide when completed. Thgis is going to be a country style pantry, it
will have glass cabinet doors that expose the can goods inside.

Originally I was thinking clear glass but have come to think that glass
that defuses the image of the contents of the pantry might be better.
I still want to be to identify what is behind the 4 doors but might not
want to see with great clarity until the doors are open. We want the
colors of what is in the cabinet to show through.

Any thoughts?

I am considering non glare but was wondering if there might be a spray
or something that might accomplish the same thing.

Thank you to every one, I think I have got all the information I need.
Swingman provided my with "the guy" to do the glass and now I don't
have to pick a particular glass with so many alternatives available for
existing glass.

Theodore suggested prints of what we would like to see mounted on
plywood and that is a cool idea. We have discussed to some length
adding custom sized quilts with seasonal themes should we decide the
plain glass reveals too much. My wife being a quilter could take care
of that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 06:31:51 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:
Well that is a cool idea but my thoughts are that you might still want
to see what is behind of each of the 4 doors. Sort of a shape
recognition thing.

More and more lately, I've been using acrylic or some other plastic
composite in the place of glass when the opportunities present
themselves. And, the tinted acrylic gets extra attention. You might
consider that for your project. The 'tint' invites someone to try to
peer through it to see what's inside. ~ Just a thought.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/2011 3:13 PM, Leon wrote:

I actually used to do stained glass, and am aware of those alternatives
but I have a lot of glass to buy, 15 x 39, 4 times and 15 x 15, 4 times.
I have considered glue chip glass but that might draw too much attention
and antique glass would be a cool alternative.

In case you haven't noticed, the cabinets in the kitchen have glue chip
glass; and the doors in the corner cabinet in the dining room has
antique glass.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/1/2011 6:32 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Over in the window-film section of your local BORG you can find a
film that does what you want. Think of distorting the plain glass
window that the idiot builders installed in the shower.

Idiot builders??? Stop - think about that for just a second... On second
thought - it somewhat depends on what the wife looks like...

As a builder I can attest to the fact that MOST women, when asked what
type glass they want in the shower, will say plain.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am looking for something simple and reversible in case I don't
like it- Hide quoted text -

I know they have films for tinting. I suppose they have films for
diffusing glass. Google finds this
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...-Mat_Patterns/

Also:

http://www.wallpaperforwindows.com/p...w-Film-c37.htm

Boy Ask and you shall receive. Thank you Nova!

I especially like the MARIJUANA one near the bottom. LOL

I'da thunk you'da went fer the light frost or ever leaf pattern, but
that's only because they didn' have a Dueling Sawblades pattern.

This is a case where the feminine choice may be the key, right?

--
When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember
and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Massive _six_ ounce can for only $7.26? sigh

--
When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember
and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire.
-- Whoopi Goldberg
Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

Over in the window-film section of your local BORG you can find a
film that does what you want. Think of distorting the plain glass
window that the idiot builders installed in the shower.

Idiot builders??? Stop - think about that for just a second... On
second thought - it somewhat depends on what the wife looks like...

As a builder I can attest to the fact that MOST women, when asked what
type glass they want in the shower, will say plain.

I want to live in your neighborhood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

Over in the window-film section of your local BORG you can find a
film that does what you want. Think of distorting the plain glass
window that the idiot builders installed in the shower.

Idiot builders??? Stop - think about that for just a second... On second
thought - it somewhat depends on what the wife looks like...

As a builder I can attest to the fact that MOST women, when asked what
type glass they want in the shower, will say plain.

aside from the view when my wife is having a shower.....I suspect that
is for cleaning issues. Etched glass and soap scum do tend to like each
other.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/1/2011 10:03 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 10/31/2011 3:13 PM, Leon wrote:

I actually used to do stained glass, and am aware of those alternatives
but I have a lot of glass to buy, 15 x 39, 4 times and 15 x 15, 4 times.
I have considered glue chip glass but that might draw too much attention
and antique glass would be a cool alternative.

In case you haven't noticed, the cabinets in the kitchen have glue chip
glass; and the doors in the corner cabinet in the dining room has
antique glass.

I think I recall the glue chip, the antique is so subtle I may not have
noticed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

Over in the window-film section of your local BORG you can find a
film that does what you want. Think of distorting the plain glass
window that the idiot builders installed in the shower.

Idiot builders??? Stop - think about that for just a second... On second
thought - it somewhat depends on what the wife looks like...

As a builder I can attest to the fact that MOST women, when asked what
type glass they want in the shower, will say plain.

They want to be able to see that expensive tile they just paid for.
Plain is easier to clean, too, usually.

--
When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember
and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire.
-- Whoopi Goldberg
Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

Over in the window-film section of your local BORG you can find a
film that does what you want. Think of distorting the plain glass
window that the idiot builders installed in the shower.

Idiot builders??? Stop - think about that for just a second... On second
thought - it somewhat depends on what the wife looks like...

As a builder I can attest to the fact that MOST women, when asked what
type glass they want in the shower, will say plain.

They want to be able to see that expensive tile they just paid for.
Plain is easier to clean, too, usually.

On a couple of them the next door neighbor must be enjoying the view ...
no blinds and plain glass on both the window and the shower.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

Over in the window-film section of your local BORG you can find a
film that does what you want. Think of distorting the plain glass
window that the idiot builders installed in the shower.

Idiot builders??? Stop - think about that for just a second... On
second
thought - it somewhat depends on what the wife looks like...

As a builder I can attest to the fact that MOST women, when asked what
type glass they want in the shower, will say plain.

They want to be able to see that expensive tile they just paid for.
Plain is easier to clean, too, usually.

On a couple of them the next door neighbor must be enjoying the view ...
no blinds and plain glass on both the window and the shower.

Our next door neighbors garden bath has a clear glass window, we can
look right in through the kitchen window. Funny, the fence is lower so
we get a full unobstructed view. They did add a venetian blind.
Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

Over in the window-film section of your local BORG you can find a
film that does what you want. Think of distorting the plain glass
window that the idiot builders installed in the shower.

Idiot builders??? Stop - think about that for just a second... On second
thought - it somewhat depends on what the wife looks like...

As a builder I can attest to the fact that MOST women, when asked what
type glass they want in the shower, will say plain.

They want to be able to see that expensive tile they just paid for.
Plain is easier to clean, too, usually.

On a couple of them the next door neighbor must be enjoying the view ...
no blinds and plain glass on both the window and the shower.

Just one more reason to like that neighborhood, eh? domg

--
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
-- Jimi Hendrix