Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Snow

About all you can say about the east coast snow fall is that "It won't
stick".

A month from now, maybe.

BTW, it was 83F outside my window today here in SoCal.

I'll take it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 23:11:55 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

About all you can say about the east coast snow fall is that "It won't
stick".

A month from now, maybe.

BTW, it was 83F outside my window today here in SoCal.

I'll take it.

Lew

All around me got 5" to 15". I bought a new snowblower this year so
it melted in my driveway on contact. Trees caught a lot of it. I was
able to do my neighbor's driveway though. At least I got to play with
my new toy a little.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I got 12" mine came in handy. Now I get to play with my chain saw.
Lots of downed limbs. Pretty much destroyed some nice trees.

Damn Bradford pears are beautiful in the spring, but so weak. Wind,
hail... all destroy them... This devastated them. Right down to the main
trunk...

Pin Oaks... split like dried stika spruce....

Going to sharpen the chain and wait for the snow to melt.
I was like a drenched rat out there yesterday trying to save them.
Broke my pruning pole trying to beat the snow off.

wrote:

About all you can say about the east coast snow fall is that "It won't
stick".

A month from now, maybe.

BTW, it was 83F outside my window today here in SoCal.

I'll take it.

Lew

All around me got 5" to 15". I bought a new snowblower this year so
it melted in my driveway on contact. Trees caught a lot of it. I was
able to do my neighbor's driveway though. At least I got to play with
my new toy a little.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

wrote:

About all you can say about the east coast snow fall is that "It
won't stick".

A month from now, maybe.

BTW, it was 83F outside my window today here in SoCal.

I'll take it.

Lew

All around me got 5" to 15". I bought a new snowblower this year so
it melted in my driveway on contact. Trees caught a lot of it. I
was able to do my neighbor's driveway though. At least I got to play
with my new toy a little.

Damage was severe here too. Many biggish as well as smaller branches
came down. No really big trees, but altogethere the damage approaches
that with Irene. We were 24 hrs without power. Many around us are
still without. NJ07410, http//radburn.org

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:

Damage was severe here too. Many biggish as well as smaller branches
came down. No really big trees, but altogethere the damage approaches
that with Irene. We were 24 hrs without power. Many around us are
still without. NJ07410, http//radburn.org

Approaches that with Irene, Han? That would surprise me with all of the
flooding from Irene.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

About all you can say about the east coast snow fall is that "It
won't stick".

A month from now, maybe.

BTW, it was 83F outside my window today here in SoCal.

I'll take it.

Lew

All around me got 5" to 15". I bought a new snowblower this year so
it melted in my driveway on contact. Trees caught a lot of it. I
was able to do my neighbor's driveway though. At least I got to play
with my new toy a little.

Damage was severe here too. Many biggish as well as smaller branches
came down. No really big trees, but altogethere the damage approaches
that with Irene. We were 24 hrs without power. Many around us are
still without. NJ07410, http//radburn.org

Damn. I'm sure glad I'm not living in the East. You guys enjoy
gigantic storms every year, don't you? If it's not hurricanes, it's
tornadoes, NorEasters, or plain old ice storms. Say, you're about
ripe for an earthquake, too, aren't you?

Condolences, guys. Hang in there!

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
Posted to rec.woodworking

*wrote:

[...]

And me and mine will suffer in the shade of banana trees(bushes).
Posted to rec.woodworking

08867 Here... lots of damage. Schools in Flemington are closed tomorrow
because the roads are still clogged. Lucky I have power, if I didn't I
have generators... I won't loan them out again...

wrote:

About all you can say about the east coast snow fall is that "It
won't stick".

A month from now, maybe.

BTW, it was 83F outside my window today here in SoCal.

I'll take it.

Lew

All around me got 5" to 15". I bought a new snowblower this year so
it melted in my driveway on contact. Trees caught a lot of it. I
was able to do my neighbor's driveway though. At least I got to play
with my new toy a little.

Damage was severe here too. Many biggish as well as smaller branches
came down. No really big trees, but altogethere the damage approaches
that with Irene. We were 24 hrs without power. Many around us are
still without. NJ07410,http//radburn.org

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:c9e3c$4eadca6a
:

Han wrote:

Damage was severe here too. Many biggish as well as smaller branches
came down. No really big trees, but altogethere the damage approaches
that with Irene. We were 24 hrs without power. Many around us are
still without. NJ07410, http//radburn.org

Approaches that with Irene, Han? That would surprise me with all of the
flooding from Irene.

I was just talking about the tree damage. The flooding around here was
terrible, and was repeated at least twice within weeks. ANd with Irene we
were without power for almost 2 days. Now no flooding, no power for 24
hrs, but the tree damage was similar.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Damn. I'm sure glad I'm not living in the East. You guys enjoy
gigantic storms every year, don't you? If it's not hurricanes, it's
tornadoes, NorEasters, or plain old ice storms. Say, you're about
ripe for an earthquake, too, aren't you?

Condolences, guys. Hang in there!

Hurricanes, somewhat. Generally it's more the flooding than the winds.
We're away from the shore here a bit. Tornadoes, not generally here, yes
to bad windstorms at times. THis storm was an early Nor'eastern, as such
not that bad at all, but with almost all trees still fully in leaf, the wet
snow loaded them up with too much weight, just like icestorms could/would.
After some years rather quiet, the last couple of years are trying to catch
up. Back in Holland in the 50's and 60's I remember bad storms, wind,
rain, ice (skating on the street is fun!), but power outages not much, at
most a few hours. Of course just about everything is underground over
there, so it has to be a large transmission line getting hit to stop the
power.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, we don't get the gorgeous weather that Californian's get. But we
don't get the real earthquakes, mud slides, or fires either. And it is
very green here for 6 months.

But it is humid, this year rainy, and the snow can be the heaviest
around. Overall, I like the east coast. It's just been a tough year.
Started repairing the damage that I had from Irene.

Just glad my tools are in good shape. And my wood is all raised. What
wasn't in racks was on a low sheet good rack. That rack is now raised
another 4 inches. I have multiple alarms around for water. I am having
second thoughts about storing vertically. My racks filled, so I started
storing vertically and found it much easier to navigate wood when I
needed it. That has all been put on new racks for the moment. Still like
the vertical storage for quick access. I'll figure this out. Thinking
about getting a large plastic tub so I can keep the wood in it
vertically protected if I ever flood again.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Robatoy wrote in news:82c3bfb4-8cf0-4659-9cb7-
:

snip
And me and mine will suffer in the shade of banana trees(bushes).

Dat's echt vreselijk, Rob! Ik heb medelijden met je!

grin.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

[...]

Our basement is rather dry, certainly after the sewerline was fixed.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

08867 Here... lots of damage. Schools in Flemington are closed tomorrow
because the roads are still clogged. Lucky I have power, if I didn't I
have generators... I won't loan them out again...

Some schools in our district are closed, others late opening. All because
of power problems, not flooding.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:08:13 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Oct 30, 6:37*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On 30 Oct 2011 21:18:24 GMT, Han wrote:

Damage was severe here too. *Many biggish as well as smaller branches
came down. *No really big trees, but altogethere the damage approaches
that with Irene. *We were 24 hrs without power. *Many around us are
still without. *NJ07410, http//radburn.org

Damn. *I'm sure glad I'm not living in the East. You guys enjoy
gigantic storms every year, don't you? *If it's not hurricanes, it's
tornadoes, NorEasters, or plain old ice storms. *Say, you're about
ripe for an earthquake, too, aren't you?

Condolences, guys. *Hang in there!

And me and mine will suffer in the shade of banana trees(bushes).

Hey, I took a look at Sarnia on the map the other day and couldn't
believe it. It's farther north than Detroit! Brrrrrrr!

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On 30 Oct 2011 21:18:24 GMT, Han wrote:

Damn. I'm sure glad I'm not living in the East. You guys enjoy
gigantic storms every year, don't you? If it's not hurricanes, it's
tornadoes, NorEasters, or plain old ice storms. Say, you're about
ripe for an earthquake, too, aren't you?

So are we, old chap. Then there are the volcanos. And I'm sure your elderly
neighbors have regaled you with tales of the Columbus Day Storm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/30/2011 09:06 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On 30 Oct 2011 21:18:24 GMT, Han wrote:

Damn. I'm sure glad I'm not living in the East. You guys enjoy
gigantic storms every year, don't you? If it's not hurricanes, it's
tornadoes, NorEasters, or plain old ice storms. Say, you're about
ripe for an earthquake, too, aren't you?

So are we, old chap. Then there are the volcanos. And I'm sure your
elderly neighbors have regaled you with tales of the Columbus Day Storm.

Ah, yes - I was in high school. We were playing a football game against
Seattle Prep in the new Bellingham Civic Stadium and led 14-13 when the
lights went out. Wish they hadn't come back on as we were going into
the wind and had 4th and 5 at the 50. The punt I snapped for was a huge
mistake as the kick ended up going the wrong way - we lost 19-14 :-(

Not only that, but I lost my ham radio tower and the Hood Canal floating
bridge sank!

--
"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame somebody else." -John Burroughs

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

See, what'd I say!

--
" Well you can't trust a special like the old time coppers
When you can't find your way 'ome"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 21:06:04 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On 30 Oct 2011 21:18:24 GMT, Han wrote:

Damn. I'm sure glad I'm not living in the East. You guys enjoy
gigantic storms every year, don't you? If it's not hurricanes, it's
tornadoes, NorEasters, or plain old ice storms. Say, you're about
ripe for an earthquake, too, aren't you?

So are we, old chap. Then there are the volcanos.

Oh, I thought your volcanos were a side effect, an added bonus from
earthquakes.

And I'm sure your elderly
neighbors have regaled you with tales of the Columbus Day Storm.

No, they hadn't, so I'll have to ask. We've had a few floods, tho,
and Portland's 2008 ice storm was nasty. http://goo.gl/7y2fB

Wiki (complete with Jimmy's whine for money) came to the rescue with
info on the CDS. Wow, she was a beaut! I hope never to see a storm
like that one in my lifetime.

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 9:36*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:08:13 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:
On Oct 30, 6:37*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On 30 Oct 2011 21:18:24 GMT, Han wrote:
Damage was severe here too. *Many biggish as well as smaller branches
came down. *No really big trees, but altogethere the damage approaches
that with Irene. *We were 24 hrs without power. *Many around us are
still without. *NJ07410, http//radburn.org

Damn. *I'm sure glad I'm not living in the East. You guys enjoy
gigantic storms every year, don't you? *If it's not hurricanes, it's
tornadoes, NorEasters, or plain old ice storms. *Say, you're about
ripe for an earthquake, too, aren't you?

Condolences, guys. *Hang in there!

And me and mine will suffer in the shade of banana trees(bushes).

Hey, I took a look at Sarnia on the map the other day and couldn't
believe it. *It's farther north than Detroit! *Brrrrrrr!

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

Practically the same latitude as Rome, Italy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Snow

Only slightly north of NorCal.

---------

-------------
Hey, I took a look at Sarnia on the map the other day and couldn't
believe it. It's farther north than Detroit! Brrrrrrr!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 05:47:42 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Oct 30, 9:36*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:08:13 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:
On Oct 30, 6:37*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On 30 Oct 2011 21:18:24 GMT, Han wrote:
Damage was severe here too. *Many biggish as well as smaller branches
came down. *No really big trees, but altogethere the damage approaches
that with Irene. *We were 24 hrs without power. *Many around us are
still without. *NJ07410, http//radburn.org

Damn. *I'm sure glad I'm not living in the East. You guys enjoy
gigantic storms every year, don't you? *If it's not hurricanes, it's
tornadoes, NorEasters, or plain old ice storms. *Say, you're about
ripe for an earthquake, too, aren't you?

Condolences, guys. *Hang in there!

And me and mine will suffer in the shade of banana trees(bushes).

Hey, I took a look at Sarnia on the map the other day and couldn't
believe it. *It's farther north than Detroit! *Brrrrrrr!

Practically the same latitude as Rome, Italy.

NFW! You're about the same Lat as us, too, but I think you get a bit
more snow (we get an inch or three every few years.) Similar
rainfall, and we're warmer, though we don't grow banana shrubbery.

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

NFW! You're about the same Lat as us, too, but I think you get a bit
more snow (we get an inch or three every few years.) Similar
rainfall, and we're warmer, though we don't grow banana shrubbery.

Where are you, Larry?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 31, 9:15*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 05:47:42 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:
On Oct 30, 9:36*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:08:13 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:
On Oct 30, 6:37*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
[...]

We might get dumped on maybe twice in any given winter, sometimes
three times...BUT!!! It is almost always a storm developed in the USA
and has lost its way to Cleveland.
The only nasty snap we might get from our own weather systems is the
famous Alberta (or Prairie) Clipper when it get gawdawfulfrikkin cold.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 31 Oct 2011 13:21:45 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

NFW! You're about the same Lat as us, too, but I think you get a bit
more snow (we get an inch or three every few years.) Similar
rainfall, and we're warmer, though we don't grow banana shrubbery.

Where are you, Larry?

Grants Pass, Oregon "It's the Climate"
Our city is about half the size of Sarnia.

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
news
Grants Pass, Oregon "It's the Climate"

Looks good for tourism.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/11 9:25 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 31, 9:15 am, Larry
wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 05:47:42 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:
On Oct 30, 9:36 pm, Larry
wrote:
On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:08:13 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:
On Oct 30, 6:37 pm, Larry
wrote:
[...]

and that is enough to make bananas run and hide, IYKWIMAITYD.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , tiredofspam
says...

When I say clogged. I meant with down wires and trees.

I think that people who weren't out in it don't realize how bad it was.
A friend of mine asked me to check on one of his friends (he doesn't
drive anymore). I asked him for her address. He started to draw me a
map. I told him "I don't need a map, I need a street name and house
number--with that and a GPS I can get there, with your map I can get to
a downed power line or a tree across the road".

Later in the week I gave him a ride somewhere (and I had to argue with
him to get him to call and make sure that his destination was actually
open) and it wasn't until I had to take an unmarked detour because of a
tree still across the road that he got it through his head that this
wasn't just a couple of power lines down.

On 10/30/2011 9:06 PM, Han wrote:
tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

08867 Here... lots of damage. Schools in Flemington are closed tomorrow
because the roads are still clogged. Lucky I have power, if I didn't I
have generators... I won't loan them out again...

Some schools in our district are closed, others late opening. All because
of power problems, not flooding.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 6, 7:50*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , tiredofspam
says...

When I say clogged. I meant with down wires and trees.

I think that people who weren't out in it don't realize how bad it was.
A friend of mine asked me to

That makes me doubt the rest of the story, you strangler, you.
I have sea legs and a discharge book that tells me where I have been..
you are a navy boy?

This bit of snow Dave UK diy 132 December 6th 10 12:46 PM
This bit of snow Roberts UK diy 1 December 2nd 10 12:51 AM
Snow-shovel; snow sticks to it: how to make slippery? David Combs Home Repair 27 January 4th 10 08:05 AM
snow, and the sound of snow dougreed Electronics Repair 4 August 9th 06 02:42 AM
WAY OT - HOW TO MAKE SNOW AND BUILD A HOMEMADE SNOW GUN J T Woodworking 0 August 6th 04 06:41 AM