Default assembly question for the pros...

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 17:10:33 -0700, "Travis" wrote:

Newbie here. I'm just about to assemble a small bookcase I made out of 3/4
birch ply. Dimensions are roughly 32"x25"x11" and the design is very
simple. Rabbets to connect the sides to the tops and rabbets in the rear of
all pieces to accept a plywood backing. This will be a glue only affair,
and the assembly has me a little scared. Should I shoot for gluing the
carcass up first and then dropping the back in later or should I do the
whole thing at once?

Thanks for any tips...

unless the back is to be trapped entirely and floating in the
assembly, put the back in last.
Swingman

"Travis" wrote in message

and the assembly has me a little scared. Should I shoot for gluing the
carcass up first and then dropping the back in later or should I do the
whole thing at once?

Thanks for any tips...

If the glue up is complicated for you, simply use the back panel to square
the rest of the assembly while the glue dries, but don't fasten it until
latter.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

Mike

In article , says...
Newbie here. I'm just about to assemble a small bookcase I made out of 3/4
birch ply. Dimensions are roughly 32"x25"x11" and the design is very
simple. Rabbets to connect the sides to the tops and rabbets in the rear of
all pieces to accept a plywood backing. This will be a glue only affair,
and the assembly has me a little scared. Should I shoot for gluing the
carcass up first and then dropping the back in later or should I do the
whole thing at once?

Thanks for any tips...

Six of one half a dozen of the other. If you are sure you back is square
and true, doing a complete glue up including the back saves a lot of
that measuring diagonals and such to check for square.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

JLucas ILS

Let gravity help you with the assembly. But one side down flat on work surface
and then work from rt to left or visa versa. Get all the sleves in and add the
other side at the top. Then add back to help you square it all up.
You said glue only. Brads or finishing nails will help immensely.