Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dewalt router problem

I picked up a pre-owned Dewalt 621 plunge router for my Woodrat.
Lately, it fails to maintain RPMs. On startup, it quickly hits speed,
then slows down and then speeds up again. The local Dewalt shop wants
$132 to fix it. Ebay has some new 618 sets with fixed and plunge bases
for a bit more. Anyone have any experience with the 618? Is it worth
investing the $132 in the 621?

Thanks,

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 13, 2:55*pm, Gramp's shop wrote:
I picked up a pre-owned Dewalt 621 plunge router for my Woodrat.
Lately, it fails to maintain RPMs. *On startup, it quickly hits speed,
then slows down and then speeds up again. *The local Dewalt shop wants
$132 to fix it. *Ebay has some new 618 sets with fixed and plunge bases
for a bit more. *Anyone have any experience with the 618? *Is it worth
investing the $132 in the 621?

Thanks,

Larry

Does this have a variable speed capability. I've seen some variable
speed routers spin up to full speed then drop down to the running
speed. Maybe try taking it apart yourself and see if there are any
visible problems in the switch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
I picked up a pre-owned Dewalt 621 plunge router for my Woodrat.
Lately, it fails to maintain RPMs. On startup, it quickly hits speed,
then slows down and then speeds up again. The local Dewalt shop wants
$132 to fix it. Ebay has some new 618 sets with fixed and plunge
bases for a bit more. Anyone have any experience with the 618? Is
it worth investing the $132 in the 621?

Larry - I have the 618 and I'm very happy with it. I would say that mine
gets moderate use, and has performed flawlessly since I bought it several
years ago. Mine came with the set of 3 handles/bases.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/13/2011 4:55 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I picked up a pre-owned Dewalt 621 plunge router for my Woodrat. Lately,
it fails to maintain RPMs. On startup, it quickly hits speed, then slows
down and then speeds up again. The local Dewalt shop wants $132 to fix
it. Ebay has some new 618 sets with fixed and plunge bases for a bit
more. Anyone have any experience with the 618? Is it worth investing the
$132 in the 621?

Thanks,

Larry

I would ask them what is wrong exactly, buy the parts, and do the repair
your self. I suspect that you would save $100 in labor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 14, 7:24*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 10/13/2011 4:55 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

I would ask them what is wrong exactly, buy the parts, and do the repair
your self. *I suspect that you would save $100 in labor.

I'll bet you are right, Leon. The local "official" DeWalt repair
center here charges $75 just to bench a tool for repair. At least he
tells you that up front and will encourage you to buy a new machine
rather than replace parts on a badly shop worn tool.

BTW, it sounds like it could indeed be brushes. They are cheap enough
to try, and easy to install.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Gramp's shop typed:
I picked up a pre-owned Dewalt 621 plunge router for my
Woodrat. Lately, it fails to maintain RPMs. On startup,
it quickly hits speed, then slows down and then speeds up
again. The local Dewalt shop wants $132 to fix it. Ebay
has some new 618 sets with fixed and plunge bases for a
bit more. Anyone have any experience with the 618? Is
it worth investing the $132 in the 621?
Thanks,

Larry

Brushes?
rotor worn?
Speed control switch dead spot?
What dd the ship say was rhe problem? Did you ask?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'll bet you are right, Leon. The local "official" DeWalt repair

center here charges $75 just to bench a tool for repair. At least he
tells you that up front and will encourage you to buy a new machine
rather than replace parts on a badly shop worn tool.

BTW, it sounds like it could indeed be brushes. They are cheap enough
to try, and easy to install.
-------------------------------

Robert, you have been missing for the past few weeks.

Everythink OK?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew and Leon - thanks for asking. I am cruising on Saturday
afternoon with a cup of joe. Perfect time to read the group and
respond.

Last couple of month have been a lot to deal with. Continuing
problems with health of both parents have been a huge drain. Dad is
now in hospice after a dramatic recovery from the brink. I swear they
must have made him out of old anvils, railroad ties and
sledgehammers. He may (possibly) even get to leave hospice... it
wouldn't surprise me. He has chatted more with St. Peter than anyone
I know.

Mom now has the beginnings of Alzheimer's. At the start, there is a
lot of confusion, and she wants her son around as much as possible for
the days when she is confused.

Getting their affairs in order financially, legally, and logistically
has been rough with both in bad condition and limited funds to work
with. Had a nearly two hour long meeting with the hospice staff
yesterday after allegations of abuse by my Dad were launched. They
turned out to be unfounded... he is sick, old and tired of being
treated, therapied, handled, and medicated.

And we are finally feeling the brunt of the dead economy in spades
here in San Antonio. I can't give work away as there are so many just
looking to feed their families these days. I have passed more cards,
shaken more hands, attended more functions and bought more lunches in
the last 6 months than I have in the last 6 years. I have three
fellow contractors that are going out of business after the first of
the year. That bothers me; they may not be the best businessmen, but
they are good guys, competent contractors and straight as a string.
They are planning on using personal savings and spousal income to
finish their contracted work so that they leave their reputation and
integrity without stain. These aren't the guys that should be leaving
contracting.

I get too tired, and all to often when I think of this group I don't
remember all the good guys. I think of all the negative energy and
wasted time put into political discussions that have no merit, no
bearing on any situation, have no fruit to bear. While others seem to
enjoy the *block*copy*paste* information they post from their Google
searches, to me the are actually just a waste of time and bandwidth.
I don't need one more negative thing to read or look at.

On the other hand, I am starting to get the club in order for our fall
projects for the Wounded Warriors. I will be organizing our "Sunday
Night Football with the Troops" that is coming up the day before
Halloween. This is not altogether altruistic; it makes me feel really
good (and really humble) to have a chance to organize the event and
make this happen. Best of all, they are really pleased to have us.
After I leave a successful even like that, it always make me feel not
only lucky with my life, but enormously glad I did it.

And we are now in the beginning stages of our Christmas Eve dinner for
the Troops and their families. We are hoping to serve about 300+ this
year (!!) with our all volunteer staff to do cooking, prep, serving
and cleaning with as much food stuffs as we can get donated. With our
unpleasant economy here, we have lost about 1/2 of our business
support, so we will have to put some serious dough (several hundred?)
in to make up the difference. This will scare a lot of the members as
it takes our little club a *long* time to get that kind of money. I
will have to write some of my best club newsletters yet... but I know
in my heart these guys will come through for the Troops and their
families. Still I will be nervous as anything this large has to be
put a vote by the members. You never know....

Anyhow, thanks for asking! Sorry to ramble. Just feeling a bit
thoughtful this morning. You guys doing OK?

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote in message
[...]

Kudos to you Robert. Having been through a similar experience with my
mother and my MIL I can understand the ordeal.
And congratulations for your work with the Wounded Warriors. I have been
working with them here at Fort Bliss and Wm. Beaumont Hospital. Having had
similar experiences (Korea '50-'51) I can relate. I've learned, though,
that casualties from explosions are totally different from being hit by
bullets or shrapnel. The brain can get really messed up. I'm amazed that as
many as do can work it out.
Keep the faith.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Lew and Leon - thanks for asking. I am cruising on Saturday
afternoon with a cup of joe. Perfect time to read the group and
respond.

snip
Anyhow, thanks for asking! Sorry to ramble. Just feeling a bit
thoughtful this morning. You guys doing OK?

-------------------------------------
Glad to see you are sitting up and taking nourishment on a regular
basis.Wink

Reading thru your post, somehow I get the impression that your busy
schedule is a blessing.

Keep up the good work for as long as you can.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

" wrote:
Lew and Leon - thanks for asking. I am cruising on Saturday
afternoon with a cup of joe. Perfect time to read the group and
respond.

Last couple of month have been a lot to deal with. Continuing

snip
Hope everything goes well for you Robert, keep up the good work with the
troops.
Rgds.
Phil.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 15, 2:25*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

When will you be coming to Houston again??

Glad you (and hopefully yours!) are doing well. I literally have not
left the city limits since I saw you and Karl this last Christmas. A
quick get away would be nice.

I guess it depends on the powers that be and how they treat the folks.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 15, 9:38*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
wrote:

Glad to see you are sitting up and taking nourishment on a regular
basis.Wink

Reading thru your post, somehow I get the impression that your busy
schedule is a blessing.

Keep up the good work for as long as you can.

Lew

Thanks, Lew. And you are right about a couple of things. Cigar
consumption has increased as well, and I am now at about 4 a week. So
that means I am still getting out to the club on occasion, and seeing
my buddies cheers me up. No matter how bad I have it sometimes, there
is ALWAYS somebody that has it a lot worse, and handles their lot
better.

And you are right about my busy schedule. In following along with my
personality, I have a tendency to prioritize things and work on them.
The more I have to do, the more I get done (when it works right!) and
the less stressed I am.

There are times I have so much to do for my folks that I put their
notes in a job notebook, just like my regular book I use to keep all
my estimates and job notes. I have my good days and bad days, but it
keeps a fella out of the bars, that's for sure.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 17, 2:50*pm, Pat Barber wrote:

You have been missed.

Thanks, Pat. I don't see you around too much anymore, either. We
should make a concerted effort to make this a woodworking group again,
no?

I think all the boomer crowd is either facing or going through
many similar things. The work thing is a real nut buster for a
great many folks in the building industry.

All too true. I am not going down a path many have not walked before,
but my particular problem is that my folks did NOTHING to prepare for
their later years. I had to clean out their house (run down from
years of old, sick people living in it) put it on the market and sell
it. I have had to monitor their ongoing health issues such as 2 years
ago my father (then at 83) falling and breaking his back in 4 places
after finishing his cancer surgery. And last year several of my Mom's
teeth fell out.

Then there was no valid will. No DNRs. No powers of attorney of any
type. No financial plan at all. No long term plan for the survivor
of the two in the event of demise of the other. Working through the
maze of Medicare, co pays, doctor visits, and on an on along with
their always changing situation has been a time hole.

The family stuff is a tough pull for people with resources, and
god help the poor crowd.

Or worse, the crowd that does not have a personal advocate. I have
moved my Dad twice from care facilities that have pronounced his time
up, and have tried to install him in hospice to make his remaining
time comfortable. That crap started almost three years ago. If you
don't have someone in your corner and you are old and sick, they are
ready to sweep you out with the rest of the expired stuff without
another thought.

The vet stuff is wonderful and I'm sure glad some folks got the
guts to do it.

Hey, that's the good stuff. While some of our members feel too much
pain to actually interface with the guys that are really "banged up",
they miss the boat. Most of the wounded troopers want nothing more
than to be treated as normal guys, talked to like men, and NOT to talk
about their injuries. At our last dinner I had a lot of fun talking
to the troopers and their families as they come from all over the USA
for our medical facilities that serve all branches.

I had a spirited conversation with a young man about the age old
"Kansas City Barbecue vs. Texas Barbecue" debate that was only able to
see out of one eye. He of course was for KC, but I think I held my
own. He was quiet and reserved for the dinner, but at the end of the
he made it a point to come see me and tell me how good the barbecue
was to him, although not like home. That put a smile on my face, and
he was pleased with himself (a young man in his early 20s) for teasing
me.

Hope it gets better.....

It will.

Thanks to you and everyone else for their good wishes. I haven't seen
this many old faces here in some time. Good to hear from everyone.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 18, 9:11*pm, Swingman wrote:
[snipped for brevity]

She actually recognized me momentarily this past Sunday while I was
feeding her lunch (she can't feed herself), kissed my hand and actually
pulled my arm around her shoulders, but a few minutes later she had that
blank look again. Normally she doesn't recognize me, or anyone in the
family.

I walked up to my dad one time, in the assisted living home, and he
lit up.
"Who are you?" he asked.
"I'm Rob."
"That's wonderful, I have a son named Rob.".. and his smile widened
even more.

That event stuck to me, still rattles me when I think about it. In
some ways, it is a wonderful story.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2011 10:19 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 18, 9:11 pm, wrote:
[snipped for brevity]

She actually recognized me momentarily this past Sunday while I was
feeding her lunch (she can't feed herself), kissed my hand and actually
pulled my arm around her shoulders, but a few minutes later she had that
blank look again. Normally she doesn't recognize me, or anyone in the
family.

I walked up to my dad one time, in the assisted living home, and he
lit up.
"Who are you?" he asked.
"I'm Rob."
"That's wonderful, I have a son named Rob.".. and his smile widened
even more.

That event stuck to me, still rattles me when I think about it. In
some ways, it is a wonderful story.

It is wonderful. I hate equating art to reality, but a touching film, I
ever saw, and I don't sit through many, was "The Notebook". Watching my
Dad trying, with both desperation and resignation, to bring some
recognition into the face of his partner of 70 years brings that
particular piece of art into the realm of reality.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 18, 7:58*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 10/18/2011 1:56 PM, Leon wrote:

Well if Karl won't have you. ;~) We have a couple of twin beds to sleep
on up in the sewing section of the house. ;~)

Robert already has a room here with his name on it. It won't be long
before it's time to unleash a gumbo ... maybe that will entice them to
make the trip again.

Wow.... two invitations! Both from great guys! We sure had a great
time *relaxing* (sigh) with your guys last year. It was more
comfortable being around you two and your wives than it was my own
family.

But Leon.... gumbo.... buddy.... I mean really - you were there, you
tasted it....

could you join us at Karl's place? ;^) VBG

I think the part I liked the best about the time there in Houston was
when we all sat down and broke bread. Good conversation with great
people is something I don't seem to have much of these days.

Kathy is currently looking into days available so we can do it again.
Gotta see both of you, though.

Robert (and Kathy!)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 18, 8:11*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 10/15/2011 2:06 PM, wrote:

Mom now has the beginnings of Alzheimer's. *At the start, there is a
lot of confusion, and she wants her son around as much as possible for
the days when she is confused.

I feel for you, Robert ... those are some tough emotions to deal with.

Mom is in advanced stages of dementia and in a nursing home in Brenham
(it just got too much for my 88 year old Dad to take care of her at home
any longer, it was really pulling him down physically ... she would fall
and there was no way he could pick her up .. so more than once he just
made her comfortable on the floor and lay down beside her until morning
when he could get some help).

She actually recognized me momentarily this past Sunday while I was
feeding her lunch (she can't feed herself), kissed my hand and actually
pulled my arm around her shoulders, but a few minutes later she had that
blank look again. Normally she doesn't recognize me, or anyone in the
family.

Tough to see someone go through that. Their 70th wedding anniversary was
this past Oct 3rd.

None of this is easy. Mom and Dad just passed their 61st, and there
was no joy. Instead it is fear of the great unknown in front of them,
what will become of one another and if they will continue to be
separated. Worse, if something happens to one or the other and they
feel like they weren't "there" for the other. If my Dad passes in the
rehab/hospice ward and my Mom isn't there at his side she absolutely
won't forgive herself.

I am having a meeting with all the department heads tomorrow at the
compound he lives in to see where he can go from here. He has
plateaued in his therapy, and he will hit bottom tomorrow when they
deny further health care from Medicare. He told me that he feels like
they are telling him there is no more hope for his future.

I will be trying to set up some alternative solutions, but don't what
they will be yet. He wants to get better and go back to his
apartment, but Mom wants him back -now-. She is more lonely than ever
as her only sister passed this last weekend. She has no more of her
family she grew up with alive now, besides a brother she isn't close
to, so this has taken a new urgency.

Lots will be happening this Friday.

On a lighter note, Mom was in a chipper mood (maybe not all dementia
is bad!) last night because she won forty cents at bingo, and at their
weekly store outing she found a great deal on Poise pads. My Mom does
like winning at bingo and a good bargain - I guess it was a pretty
good day.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.uffnet.com/kookkamp