Posted to rec.woodworking

Default how to fill shallow holes in workbench top

I put in a bench vise today and, as per advice from this group, used
bolts, nuts and washers. I drilled a couple of flat-bottomed holes in
the bench top, just deep enough to keep the bolt heads below the level
of the bench surface.

Once I'm pretty sure I've got the vise the way I want it, I'd like to
fill in the holes with...something. Something that would leave the
surface flat afterward, maybe after sanding . Ideas? Wood putty? Epoxy?
(I'm probably not brave enough for that one) Something else?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
I put in a bench vise today and, as per advice from this group, used
bolts, nuts and washers. I drilled a couple of flat-bottomed holes in
the bench top, just deep enough to keep the bolt heads below the level
of the bench surface.

Once I'm pretty sure I've got the vise the way I want it, I'd like to
fill in the holes with...something. Something that would leave the
surface flat afterward, maybe after sanding . Ideas? Wood putty? Epoxy?
(I'm probably not brave enough for that one) Something else?

Gosh, why do something that you may regret. How about wooden-disks made
to match? "Spacer" underneath?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message
I put in a bench vise today and, as per advice from this group, used
bolts, nuts and washers. I drilled a couple of flat-bottomed holes in
the bench top, just deep enough to keep the bolt heads below the level
of the bench surface.

Once I'm pretty sure I've got the vise the way I want it, I'd like to
fill in the holes with...something. Something that would leave the
surface flat afterward, maybe after sanding . Ideas? Wood putty? Epoxy?
(I'm probably not brave enough for that one) Something else?

If your bench is thick enough, drill the holes deeper so the bolt heads are
~3/8" below the surface. Then use wood plugs to fill the holes.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
I put in a bench vise today and, as per advice from this group, used
bolts, nuts and washers. I drilled a couple of flat-bottomed holes
in
the bench top, just deep enough to keep the bolt heads below the
level
of the bench surface.

Once I'm pretty sure I've got the vise the way I want it, I'd like
fill in the holes with...something. Something that would leave the
surface flat afterward, maybe after sanding . Ideas? Wood putty?
Epoxy?
(I'm probably not brave enough for that one) Something else?

----------------------------------
Use hex head bolts and flat washers under head.

Pour fairing putty (epoxy thickened with mivro-balloons to a soupy
consistancy) proud of bench top.

Allow to cure for 2-3 days then sand flush.

BTW, drill hole at least 1/2"-5/8" deep so that putty is at least
3/16" over bolt head.

I use the above for my jigs.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
I put in a bench vise today and, as per advice from this group, used
bolts, nuts and washers. I drilled a couple of flat-bottomed holes in
the bench top, just deep enough to keep the bolt heads below the level
of the bench surface.

Once I'm pretty sure I've got the vise the way I want it, I'd like to
fill in the holes with...something. Something that would leave the
surface flat afterward, maybe after sanding . Ideas? Wood putty?
Epoxy? (I'm probably not brave enough for that one) Something else?

Bondo. Easy, cheap, readily available.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 17:50:26 -0400, Greg Guarino
wrote:

I put in a bench vise today and, as per advice from this group, used
bolts, nuts and washers. I drilled a couple of flat-bottomed holes in
the bench top, just deep enough to keep the bolt heads below the level
of the bench surface.

Once I'm pretty sure I've got the vise the way I want it, I'd like to
fill in the holes with...something. Something that would leave the
surface flat afterward, maybe after sanding . Ideas? Wood putty? Epoxy?
(I'm probably not brave enough for that one) Something else?

I used epoxy and scraped flush.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message ...

Greg Guarino wrote:
I put in a bench vise today and, as per advice from this group, used
bolts, nuts and washers. I drilled a couple of flat-bottomed holes in
the bench top, just deep enough to keep the bolt heads below the level
of the bench surface.

Once I'm pretty sure I've got the vise the way I want it, I'd like to
fill in the holes with...something. Something that would leave the
surface flat afterward, maybe after sanding . Ideas? Wood putty?
Epoxy? (I'm probably not brave enough for that one) Something else?

Bondo. Easy, cheap, readily available.

I second that. It is also removable if/when desired.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Because bench tops catch all sorts of abuse, why not cover the
top with masonite(hardboard) that can be changed out after it starts
looking crappy.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_15486-46498-...d&facetInf o=

(little pricer)
or

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...&Ntpc=1&Ntpr=1

(A cheaper version)

At $8.00 per sheet, you are not going broke changing it out on occasion.

Fill your holes with bondo and sand it flat, screw on hardboard and move on.

On 10/1/2011 5:50 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I put in a bench vise today and, as per advice from this group, used
bolts, nuts and washers. I drilled a couple of flat-bottomed holes in
the bench top, just deep enough to keep the bolt heads below the level
of the bench surface.

Once I'm pretty sure I've got the vise the way I want it, I'd like to
fill in the holes with...something. Something that would leave the
surface flat afterward, maybe after sanding . Ideas? Wood putty? Epoxy?
(I'm probably not brave enough for that one) Something else?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:33:29 AM UTC-7, dadiOH wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
I put in a bench vise today... I'd like to
fill in the holes with...something. Something that would leave the
surface flat afterward, maybe after sanding . Ideas?

Bondo. Easy, cheap, readily available.

Yep, that's a good solution. I wonder what the solution would have
been a century ago, though: maybe melted sulfur ?