Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping - JLoomis

What kind of siding is that? http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/117923-1.jpg

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:37:59 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

What kind of siding is that? http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/117923-1.jpg

Looks like standard T1-11 to me.
All wood, roughsawn face, 8" spacing.

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What kind of siding is that? *http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/117923-1.jpg

Looks like standard T1-11 *to me.
All wood, roughsawn face, 8" spacing.

Yeah, I thought so. I was to recommend using a good dose of fungicide
in his primer and/or paint. I've had T1-11 on my garage for 20 years
with no problem, until recently.

Seems a fungus or mold is growing from/on it, now.... about 25 - 35
small, wart-like growths on several panels. Don't know if this
problem is the result of or associated with spring storms.... the
problem started showing itself late spring. Today, I sent pics to
the local Prof, at the University, and local Benjamin Moore to try to
ID it and ask for recommendations for treating it. Benjamin Moore, as
per phone description, suggested I may have to treat it, specifically,
aggressively, prior to repainting. The guy thought it might be a
mold. The paint job is due for repainting, also, so this may have
some connection to the mold/fungus (whichever) problem. Here are the
pics I sent to the Prof and BM:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/ . I hope to get a reply
tomorrow.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote:

[...]

---------------------------------
Don't be surprised if you end up tenting the building and treating
with an ozone generator.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 20:51:46 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I can tell you right now it's fungus/mold/lichen.

You put off repainting too long. See the cracks in the paint? They
allowed spores to put down roots. Douche the area with a spray of 10%
Clorox water. Allow to dry well (days). Mix a packet of fungicide in
the paint you use to repaint the shed. Problem solved.

P.S: Repaint sooner next time.

Ping:MrP George UK diy 3 July 25th 08 04:03 PM
PING Sam The Medway Handyman UK diy 4 July 20th 08 06:29 PM
Ping RAM³ Wayne Metalworking 1 June 23rd 08 04:42 PM
Fly by night PING PING Shopdog Woodworking 6 May 18th 06 04:08 AM
Ping JT D Steck Woodworking 0 November 25th 05 10:35 PM