Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Ping - JLoomis

On Sep 28, 5:40*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:37:59 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

What kind of siding is that? *http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/117923-1.jpg

Looks like standard T1-11 *to me.
All wood, roughsawn face, 8" spacing.

Yeah, I thought so. I was to recommend using a good dose of fungicide
in his primer and/or paint. I've had T1-11 on my garage for 20 years
with no problem, until recently.

Seems a fungus or mold is growing from/on it, now.... about 25 - 35
small, wart-like growths on several panels. Don't know if this
problem is the result of or associated with spring storms.... the
problem started showing itself late spring. Today, I sent pics to
the local Prof, at the University, and local Benjamin Moore to try to
ID it and ask for recommendations for treating it. Benjamin Moore, as
per phone description, suggested I may have to treat it, specifically,
aggressively, prior to repainting. The guy thought it might be a
mold. The paint job is due for repainting, also, so this may have
some connection to the mold/fungus (whichever) problem. Here are the
pics I sent to the Prof and BM:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/ . I hope to get a reply
tomorrow.

Sonny