Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Basement engineered wood flooring.

As hunting season is upon us, I bought a vertical freezer. (Mostly
birds, the odd hunk of venison.)
Angela thought the laundry room would be a good place for the thing as
it has a small footprint.....but........"wouldn't it be nice to
do something with that floor (which is now painted concrete)..and,
and, and some cabinets..oooo and some countertop space for
folding....that dryer is quite old...the laundry tub over *here* would
be a lot more convenient...are those ceiling potlights hard to
install?...."

Does anybody have any experience, good or bad with the OSB 2'x2' tiles
with the plastic profiles on the bottom? DriCore? IIRC? I know the old
style had little feet like cups that would never dry out once wet...
Some plastic flooring goes right on the concrete, but 'has-to-be-
installed-by-qualified-installers. (I think they took a page out of
DuPont's Corian exclusivity book...)

Any and all pointers are appreciated. The web if full of info but I
prefer to hear from this group.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
Robatoy wrote:

[...]

A colleague installed them in his basement renovation, and thinks
they're the cat's pajamas.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
[...]

No experience with the OSB stuff.
But I did re do a bathroom floor. The builder put in carpet which I
pulled up. The concrete needed to be leveled to get rid of the dips &
hills so some leveling compound was in order. I then put down 12x12
vinyl self stick squares. All of this came from the Home Despot. Easy
to do and no need to put any wood down first. It looked great and the
boss loved it.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

Does anybody have any experience, good or bad with the OSB 2'x2' tiles
with the plastic profiles on the bottom? DriCore? IIRC? I know the old
style had little feet like cups that would never dry out once wet...
Some plastic flooring goes right on the concrete, but 'has-to-be-
installed-by-qualified-installers. (I think they took a page out of
DuPont's Corian exclusivity book...)

My experience is whit the engineered hardwood that is a plywood with a
finish on the top layer. Been down 10 years with no problem, including
water from a leak that got under it. Thee is a layer of plastic on the
concrete and the flooring on top. 10 year, stills going strong.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I did my basement RecRoom (about 15 x 32') in these tiles about 12 years
ago.
After a toilet plumbing leek upstairs the Insurance clean-up crew came in
and ripped them all out as there was water underneath them. (source of
mould) As they found more and more water they proceeded to rip them all out
to replace the carpet that was wet and found puddle in the lows spots. (3
stooges). (I have my cold cellar floor lined with the insurance garbaged
units in my new house.)

I installed these to help warm up the floors in the basement room. They do
nothing unless you have an exit for the cold air stored underneath the
tiles.

Also, if you install these units without any through ventilation you will
have a puddle under them guaranteed, as condensation forms and cannot get
out on the cold, insulated from the warm room air concrete floor surface.

The units are convex shaped to allow the surface to float and must be put
down without any rocking. They will not flatten out over time and will annoy
you forever, if you don't! Spare pieces of cutoffs can be used if you rip
off the plastic bottom instead of buying all the spacer pieces. Trouble is
you, sometimes you won't have many cut-offs until the last rows. I am not
sure you can stagger the joints due to the convex shape.

If flow through ventilation is provided they should stay dry underneath and
you should get some nice warmer carpeted floors in your basement. Other
than that they are a waste of money and a source of mould. Sensitive feet
can feel the arch in them through the carpet.

-----------------

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Does anybody have any experience, good or bad with the OSB 2'x2' tiles
with the plastic profiles on the bottom? DriCore? IIRC? I know the old
style had little feet like cups that would never dry out once wet...
Some plastic flooring goes right on the concrete, but 'has-to-be-
installed-by-qualified-installers. (I think they took a page out of
DuPont's Corian exclusivity book...)

Any and all pointers are appreciated. The web if full of info but I
prefer to hear from this group.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/11/2011 5:49 PM, Robatoy wrote:
[...]

Strip/sand/grind off the paint and put down real ceramic tile. Mortar
(in my experience at least) sticks really well to bare concrete. I
re-did the basement bath 4 years ago and have had no tile problems. Its
a 3/4 bath where I shower daily so the humidity needs dealt with but the
tile has held up perfectly.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 14, 9:29*pm, John wrote:
[...]

Thank you John, but we are now thinking about in-floor heating as
well, which can be done with ceramic tile.