Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Engineered wood flooring

I was wondering how difficult it is to install engineered wood
flooring compared to laminate flooring. I have done several laminate
floors but dont know anything about the engineered wood flooring. Is
this a viable DIY job.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 11:31*am, JIMMIE wrote:
I was wondering how difficult it is to install engineered wood
flooring compared to laminate flooring. I have done several laminate
floors but dont know anything about the engineered wood flooring. Is
this a viable DIY job.

Which product specifically? "Engineered wood" flooring is a pretty
big target. As far as DYI, I would expect engineered products to be
easier to install than hardwood flooring. The engineered stuff should
be perfectly sized, stable, and straight. Hardware can start out
pretty twisted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
I was wondering how difficult it is to install engineered wood
flooring compared to laminate flooring. I have done several laminate
floors but dont know anything about the engineered wood flooring. Is
this a viable DIY job.

Jimmie

Just as easy. I've done it a couple of times now and anyone that can read a
ruler can do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 3:48*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

I was wondering how difficult it is to install engineered wood
flooring compared to laminate flooring. I have done several laminate
floors but dont know anything about the engineered wood flooring. Is
this a viable DIY job.

Jimmie

Just as easy. *I've done it a couple of times now and anyone that can read a
ruler can do it.

Is this stuff water resistant enough to use in a kitchen?

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 09:31:30 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

I was wondering how difficult it is to install engineered wood
flooring compared to laminate flooring. I have done several laminate
floors but dont know anything about the engineered wood flooring. Is
this a viable DIY job.

Jimmie

Some is "click" like laminate, and some is T&G. The T&G can be laid
floating like laminate with the joints glued..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

I was wondering how difficult it is to install engineered wood
flooring compared to laminate flooring. I have done several laminate
floors but dont know anything about the engineered wood flooring. Is
this a viable DIY job.

Jimmie

Just as easy. *I've done it a couple of times now and anyone that can read a
ruler can do it.

Is this stuff water resistant enough to use in a kitchen?

Jimmie

I wouldn't do it. Even if you were convinced the wood was 100%
waterproof, the seams will allow spills through, where they will sit,
and grow things, and possibly stink depending on the spill (think
rancid curry sauce... gag).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

I was wondering how difficult it is to install engineered wood
flooring compared to laminate flooring. I have done several laminate
floors but dont know anything about the engineered wood flooring. Is
this a viable DIY job.

Jimmie

Just as easy. I've done it a couple of times now and anyone that can
read a
ruler can do it.

Is this stuff water resistant enough to use in a kitchen?

Jimmie

The top finish certainly is. My concern is larger spills that would get
between the wood and seep under it. I'd probably go with something else,
like ceramic tile but it depends on your tolerance to risk.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

I was wondering how difficult it is to install engineered wood
flooring compared to laminate flooring. I have done several laminate
floors but dont know anything about the engineered wood flooring. Is
this a viable DIY job.

Jimmie

Just as easy. I've done it a couple of times now and anyone that can
read a
ruler can do it.

Is this stuff water resistant enough to use in a kitchen?

Jimmie

There are many types of "Engineered" wood floors, the term is really
generic. Avoid all types with MDF backings, as they will be a problem with
any moisture. I have used one that had "baltic birch" plywood backing and it
survived a small flood when the water was turned on with the tap under the
sink still open, one week after the flooring was installed. You cannot tell
that it ever got wet.