Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Texas Fires

Hey, you guys in Texas, Leon, Swingman, I'm hearing about huge
wildfires down your way. You two and others in danger in your area?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/2011 5:08 PM, Dave wrote:

Hey, you guys in Texas, Leon, Swingman, I'm hearing about huge
wildfires down your way. You two and others in danger in your area?

They are only huge by comparison.

A fire the size of Connecticut would be a good sized blaze.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My cousins, David & Matt, have 125 acres w/camp near Colmesneil (east
TX, north of Woodville, west of Sam Rayburn Lake). We often go out
there on weekends, just to get away. This past week Matt was out
there and reported a forest ranger spotted some arsonists, called for
backup and the pursuit was on. Shots were fired and one ranger was
run over and killed. The arsonists were captured.

Part of David's property was burned and the forest service had to doze
through the property to help extinguish the fire and keep it from
spreading. David lives in Houston and is to drive up this weekend, to
check out the damage. I may drive over to meet him.

Matt also reported the area got about 2" of rain from TS Lee, which
helped quench the brunt of some of those fires in east Texas.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/2011 5:08 PM, Dave wrote:

Hey, you guys in Texas, Leon, Swingman, I'm hearing about huge
wildfires down your way. You two and others in danger in your area?

So far not in our immediate area.

My Dad did have to move some of his horses in training at another
location yesterday (near Magnolia, TX, just North of Houston ... he's
located in White Hall, which is about 60 miles NW from me). AAMOF, the
road I take to my Dad's was closed this morning due to that same fire
just SE of him.

Talked to folks I built a house for near Bastrop yesterday and they are
most definitely close to the danger and keeping a close eye out.

Thanks for the thoughts ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 6, 7:22*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 9/6/2011 5:08 PM, Dave wrote:

Hey, you guys in Texas, Leon, Swingman, I'm hearing about huge
wildfires down your way. You two and others in danger in your area?

So far not in our immediate area.

My Dad did have to move some of his horses in training at another
location yesterday (near Magnolia, TX, just North of Houston ... he's
located in White Hall, which is about 60 miles NW from me). AAMOF, the
road I take to my Dad's was closed this morning due to that same fire
just SE of him.

Talked to folks I built a house for near Bastrop yesterday and they are
most definitely close to the danger and keeping a close eye out.

Thanks for the thoughts ...

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Stay safe...all of you. I have only ever seen a small one and I was
amazed by the speed those fires moved.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/2011 6:14 PM, Sonny wrote:

My cousins, David& Matt, have 125 acres w/camp near Colmesneil (east
TX, north of Woodville, west of Sam Rayburn Lake). We often go out
there on weekends, just to get away. This past week Matt was out
there and reported a forest ranger spotted some arsonists, called for
backup and the pursuit was on. Shots were fired and one ranger was
run over and killed. The arsonists were captured.

Captured? WTF for? I'd shot them MF's dead on the spot!

I was in Basic with a guy from Colmesneil. "Mule" Menefee. A big, black
guy strong enough to rip me in half bare handed, but as gentle as a
newborn kitten. AAMOF, so gentle that I had to take him under my wing to
get him through the program, and shared the same cubicle with him the
entire time. Saw his obit in the paper not long ago ... could kick my
own ass for not taking the time to look him up. One of the nicest, most
gentle people I've ever had the privilege of knowing. RIP Mule!

Thanks for the memory flashback!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/2011 5:08 PM, Dave wrote:

Hey, you guys in Texas, Leon, Swingman, I'm hearing about huge
wildfires down your way. You two and others in danger in your area?

Not yet although there have been a lot of kinda close ones in NW
Houston. I have been smelling smoke for 3 days now.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 9/6/2011 5:08 PM, Dave wrote:

Hey, you guys in Texas, Leon, Swingman, I'm hearing about huge
wildfires down your way. You two and others in danger in your area?

Not yet although there have been a lot of kinda close ones in NW
Houston. I have been smelling smoke for 3 days now.

I hope you guys stay safe. Forest fires aren't fun.

Some years ago there were forest fires in Canada, big one, and we saw a
blue haze and smelled smoke on a sailing boat off Rockport, Me. I hope all
stays just that far away from you guys.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

The firestorms are North of me and southwest of me.

I'm in Lufkin - fires up around the Tyler area in general.

We had some 10 miles south - but they were put out. Phew.

Those in Bastrop - near Austin that is - central Texas are really nasty
as well. Lots of homes lost and the forest and general area is going
to look bad for some time.

Nasty storms and people start most.

Martin

On 9/6/2011 5:08 PM, Dave wrote:

Hey, you guys in Texas, Leon, Swingman, I'm hearing about huge
wildfires down your way. You two and others in danger in your area?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/2011 5:08 PM, Dave wrote:

Hey, you guys in Texas, Leon, Swingman, I'm hearing about huge
wildfires down your way. You two and others in danger in your area?

Not yet although there have been a lot of kinda close ones in NW
Houston. I have been smelling smoke for 3 days now.

I hope you guys stay safe. Forest fires aren't fun.

Some years ago there were forest fires in Canada, big one, and we saw a
blue haze and smelled smoke on a sailing boat off Rockport, Me. I hope all
stays just that far away from you g

Fortunately for me I am in a new subdivision with no old trees and few
old trees near by. We have seen several grass fires near by but those
are mostly in the empty dry fields.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/6/2011 5:08 PM, Dave wrote:

Hey, you guys in Texas, Leon, Swingman, I'm hearing about huge
wildfires down your way. You two and others in danger in your area?

We're not down there but niece's FIL lost house couple days ago near
Longview area.

They finally released the CRP grass for emergency drought relief haying
(no new growth, but the old standing grass is roughage that is, as my
grandfather was wont to say during the 30s before I was around and the
50s during which I was, "it's better than a dustball"). At least that
gets the really tall dead stuff off around the house. We are in an area
that is 5x7 miles of all unbroken CRP (Conservation Reserve Program)
native grass with only a few quarters broken out and not roads through
many of the section lines. If it gets going w/ the winds prevalent
here, there's little chance of stopping it in time...

Praise be, it's sprinkling some this morning--not enough to be
measurable moisture but is damp and the string of triple-digit
temperatures did come to an end this week for at least a little while...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/2011 5:08 PM, Dave wrote:

Hey, you guys in Texas, Leon, Swingman, I'm hearing about huge
wildfires down your way. You two and others in danger in your area?

We have a 35,000 acre fire over here by Bastrop, 0% contained. Drove
through the smoke on the way back from Houston. Got back here and my
sister, who lives between Magnolia and Tomball, is not in immediate
danger unless the winds change. She and my BIL are kind of anxious as
everything is dry as a tinderbox everywhere. We have had 2 inches of
rain so far this year and that ain't enough. Just had the fire just
south of us in San Antonio, but winds are out of the north, so no
problem for us.

So far, we are good.

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX

Gas fires keeps going out Nick UK diy 26 February 26th 18 07:31 PM
Texas "Hill Country" woodworking ... or working to an 1/8th on a nippy Texas morning. Swingman Woodworking 13 January 23rd 09 09:58 PM
Gel fires Matthew Barnard UK diy 22 October 15th 04 06:47 PM