Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Indian Rosewood tree

Hello y'all!

We have a cluster of Indian Rosewood trees growing on the edge of our
property. I do not have space to store/use the necessary tools to mill
anything down to a usable size. If the Indian Rosewood is of any value to
woodworkers, I hate to see good thing go to waste. Any mills or large
bandsaw users in the North Pinellas Florida area? I wood only want some
small pieces for carving, so the rest wood be recriprocity.

I understand Indian Rosewood is tough on cutting tools, having silica in the
grain. Indeed I sharpen frequently. The outer white wood suffers quickly
from fungus, and is found delectable by termites. The heartwood is dense
and dark, somewhat insect and fungus resistant, but not as dark or
rich-grained as Brazilian Rosewood. I believe the grain is interwoven;
axe-splitting for firewood can only be done on very short pieces, and
extended drying does not make it any easier.

We had one of the large (seemingly healthy) trunks fall into the waterway
(city's residential drainage) Thursday morning, and it was cut up and
cleared with 8 hours. No time for me to get out there with a chainsaw to
salvage anything, but it did not have many straight limbs anyway. Though
there is a five foot long main trunk section submerged in the waterway.
They left some 24" diameter slabs that show a 18" to 20" diameter heartwood.

The neighboring tree is actually the one due to come down soon, as it has
had bracket fungus on the trunk and a network of Pileated Woodpecker nests
fro the past two years. And it is fairly straight. The trunk is about 16"
to 20" diameter at the base, so it should have a generous heartwood. Any
mills or large bandsaw users in the North Pinellas Florida area? Or should
I just let it go to mulch and firewood?

Thanks!
Scott
Dunedin, FL

Posted to rec.woodworking

If there is a sawmill nearby, probably any of the local tree cutting
services would know of it. The city's tree service may know, also.
Give several of them a call and ask. A post on your local Craigslist,
either for offering the wood or locating a sawmill, is easy and free,
also.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om, "Anon" wrote:
Hello y'all!

We have a cluster of Indian Rosewood trees growing on the edge of our
property. I do not have space to store/use the necessary tools to mill
anything down to a usable size. If the Indian Rosewood is of any value to
woodworkers, I hate to see good thing go to waste. Any mills or large
bandsaw users in the North Pinellas Florida area? I wood only want some
small pieces for carving, so the rest wood be recriprocity.

Contact Wood-Mizer Customer Service (www.wood-mizer.com) -- they can give you
the names and phone numbers of Wood-Mizer owners in your area.
Posted to rec.woodworking

The woodmizer suggestion is the best one. If that doesn't pan out, there
are a couple of urban wood recycling companies in Florida (there was a
write up last spring in one wwing magazine, possibly the AAW Journal)
that can cut logs up for lumber. If you like I can look up the
article and find the companies and their contact info.

-- Andy Barss

How to prune the top of a 30 foot oak tree so it's a 20 foottall oak tree Steve Barker[_6_] Home Repair 10 July 9th 11 06:26 PM
Rosewood Studio William MacBain Woodworking 1 June 5th 07 07:00 PM
Tree Roots from neighbor's tree causing sewer problem Keller, TX??? mscraven Home Repair 2 December 27th 05 12:06 AM
rosewood STEFANEE STIEN Woodturning 7 December 21st 04 09:28 PM
Brazilian Rosewood Gordon Menzies Woodworking 46 September 23rd 04 03:48 PM