Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What can you use to sand a router cut?

I have a set of doors that are pretty weathered. It has a router
pattern. Isn't there something that takes the shape of whatever you
are sanding so that you can use it to sand the entire length?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/11 4:09 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I have a set of doors that are pretty weathered. It has a router
pattern. Isn't there something that takes the shape of whatever you
are sanding so that you can use it to sand the entire length?

maybe, depends on the pattern, foam sanding pads may do it.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a set of doors that are pretty weathered. It has a router
pattern.

Isn't there something that takes the shape of whatever you
are sanding so that you can use it to sand the entire length?

Not perfectly, AFAIK

I often use the router bit itself to smooth grosser areas by scraping.

The thin, grey foam sanding pads work pretty well but the routed edge
usually has to be sanded in more than one pass depending on the complexity
of the profile.

Flap wheels - those where the flaps have been cut into about 1/8" wide
fingers - also work pretty well but they will diminish the sharpness of
edges.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I haven't tried this myself but I have read of mixing a batch of body filler
or some similar material, place it over a good section of the molding
profile, with a suitable release agent or maybe some plastic wrap or
something over the wood, and letting it harden to a negative shape of the
routed channel. Then use it to back up some sandpaper. If you do try
that, let us know how it works out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 13, 5:44*pm, (Larry W) wrote:
I haven't tried this myself but I have read of mixing a batch of body filler
or some similar material, place it over a good section of the molding
profile, with a suitable release agent or maybe some plastic wrap or
something over the wood, and letting it harden to a negative shape of the
routed channel. Then use it to back up some sandpaper. If you do try
that, let us know how it works out.

--
When the game is over, the pawn and the king are returned to the same box..

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org

try therse - they work for me!

Contour Sanding Grips
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...83&cat=1,42500

shelly