Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What A Mess and then some...

Background: Some time ago, I bought an old rent house and have been
remodeling it, for a woodshop. The front center section was once a
recessed porch (http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/4033313690/
in/photostream), which I incorporated into the interior for more shop
space. The roof of the porch wasn't sloped much and the temporary
roofing developed a serious leak. Last week I decided to fix the
problem.

I removed the old shingles and decking, reframed that whole front
area, with greater slope, added new decking, there, and to the
adjacent gable slopes, then shingled anew. During demolition, with
the roof off, I got stormed on... rained all inside the shop. Lots of
stuff got wet, but nothing ruined, I don't think.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?saved=1

My entertainment center, under construction, got soaked and has
developed water marks. In the past, I have removed similar water
marks, from mahogany window sills, by rubbing/washing with mineral
spirits, but haven't had a chance to clean up this cherry cabinet,
yet, so not sure if mineral spirits will work on this project. Any
recommendations?

It was hot as hell, working on the roof. My nephew came to help.
Monday, I became so hot & exhausted, I went to the ER to get checked
out. I'm fine, but it gave me a scare, since I've had serious med.
issues in the past. The work took 5 days from start to finish. Now,
I'm taking my time cleaning up all the demolition and interior mess/
debris.

This hasn't been a fun job, but I'm glad to get this repair & this
part of the remodel completed. *The new shingles are mis-matched,
i.e., discount shingles.... the bundles were returns (to Lowes) from
previous roofing jobs and I got them for $7 a bundle, as opposed to
$25 per bundle, otherwise. I don't need matching shingles for the
shop, at least not now.

I'm going to enjoy relaxing this weekend, not having to rush with
anything. I don't think I have worked this hard in a long time. It
feels good to be cleaning up, after all this work. I can, now, see
and appreciate how things are getting back into some semblance of
order and organization.

.....And it's good to see Google has fixed our connection, to this
forum, problem. I was feeling abandoned. LOL.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
Background: Some time ago, I bought an old rent house and have been
remodeling it, for a woodshop. The front center section was once a
recessed porch (http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/4033313690/
in/photostream), which I incorporated into the interior for more shop
space.

My hat is off to you for not being afraid to take on such a big
project! Just curious, and it's none of my concern, but don't you have
to pay higher property axes for a 2nd house which is not a primary
residence (because you wouldn't get a "homeowners exemption" on the 2nd
house)? Maybe the exemption is an Indiana thing, I'm not sure.
I didn't post to mention that though--best of luck on your project

Bill

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've always had the homestead exemption in force and I joined the 2
properties (making it one) when I bought the lot next door. The
property tax was increased, when I joined the 2 properties. We are
assessed every 4 years, so the taxes may very well go up, again, after
the next assessment. I think Louisiana has some of the lowest
property taxes in the nation.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/2011 10:51 PM, Sonny wrote:

I think Louisiana has some of the lowest
property taxes in the nation.

Mais cher ... they just learned about dem new fangled calculators day
before yesterday, give'em time!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/2011 10:42 AM, Sonny wrote:
It was hot as hell, working on the roof. My nephew came to help.
Monday, I became so hot& exhausted, I went to the ER to get checked
out. I'm fine, but it gave me a scare, since I've had serious med.
issues in the past. The work took 5 days from start to finish. Now,
I'm taking my time cleaning up all the demolition and interior mess/
debris.

Dude, I'm impressed! Your obvious self reliance, something that used to
be very common in that part of the world due to its rural nature, is
laudable.

Lache pas la patate, cher!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 14, 12:30*pm, "Josepi" wrote:
Have anything to do with being swamp land, alligators, and sinking into the
GoM?

No, I think it has more to do with Louisiana's governance being more
deeply rooted in Cannon Law, as opposed to English Common Law. We
aren't sinking into the gulf (yet!), we're being washed away by
erosion. Only Lake Peigneur sunk .... into a salt mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHol4ICeDoo

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Too much greed sucking the petroleum out of the dirt and puttin' nothin'
back in. Y'all need to stuff some garbage down them there holes with a
compactor and hope it spits out some of that there petroleum for the next
generation (kin, that is...not them there power makers)

--------------------
"Sonny" wrote in message
No, I think it has more to do with Louisiana's governance being more
deeply rooted in Cannon Law, as opposed to English Common Law. We
aren't sinking into the gulf (yet!), we're being washed away by
erosion. Only Lake Peigneur sunk .... into a salt mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHol4ICeDoo

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dude, I'm impressed! Your obvious self reliance, something that used to
be very common in that part of the world due to its rural nature, is
laudable.

Mais yeah. Das what I was saying the whole time I was cleaning up,
today... Laud! Laud! Laud! What a mess.

Sonny

What a mess hibb Home Repair 10 November 23rd 09 12:36 PM
Mess Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 5 May 8th 08 06:10 PM
Feel Better About Your Mess berg Home Ownership 0 November 30th 06 07:58 PM
Concrete mess ktech Home Repair 5 May 23rd 05 07:27 PM
My mess not posted! JP de Villiers Electronics Repair 2 February 11th 05 11:33 PM