Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What a mess

Thank God for a big shovel and huge trash bags.

Just got through tearing out the ceiling in the upstairs bedroom I'm
remodeling. My father-in-law did this upstairs addition back in the
mid 1940's. He put in 1/4 inch drywall with bat insulation between the
rafters and a **** load of blown in insulation above that. And he ran
the drywall along the rafters instead of across them. No wonder the
ceiling was sagging. It's a wonder it stayed up at all.

I don't think my FIL was much of a carpenter. When I get the rest of
the interior walls torn out maybe I'll post pictures and see if any of
you recommend any structural repairs I can do before I put in the new
walls.

Interesting what people stash inside the walls. So far, I found three
large empty heart shaped boxes that chocolates come in and the box top
from some board game based on an old TV game show. They also left a
large roll of bat insulation up there. I don't know why they didn't
unroll it so it would do some good. It'll be interesting to see if
they put anything in the walls.

David
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 7:38�pm, hibb wrote:
[...]

I have found 5 or 6 glassd milk bottles in the walls of my home,
apparently left in place back in 1950 when the home plan was built.
found a birth certificate in another home
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Nov 21, 7:38?pm, hibb wrote:
[...]

All I found was empty beer cans. No wonder there are no square corners or
plunb walls.

Charlie

I have found 5 or 6 glassd milk bottles in the walls of my home,
apparently left in place back in 1950 when the home plan was built.
found a birth certificate in another home

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 8:20*pm, "Charlie" wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 21, 7:38?pm, hibb wrote:

[...]

found a birth certificate in another home- Hide quoted text -

I found some very old liquor bottles from the 1880's under an old home
my daughter and son-in-law bought about 15 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

On Nov 21, 7:38?pm, hibb wrote:

[...]

I found lots of stuff when I tore out the walls downstairs in this
house. It was built in 1910 but the upstairs was not finished until
much later and lots of stuff the kid played with upstairs fell into
the lower wall. There were plenty of books and newspapers and such and
those wooden blocks kids play with and a couple of toys. Non of it in
good shape when I found it. The best thing of all was a hammer. It
looked like it had hardly been used and had been in there for many
decades.

Now every time I re-do a room I put stuff in the walls. Unopened packs
of baseball cards. Money that was dated in the year I did the project.
Personal history and pictures of my wife and me. Pictures of how the
house has changed down through the decades.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

I found a set of center bits on a beam that fit in a brace & bit hand
drill, in my bacement ,they go from 1/4 " to 2 1/2 " in eights . Now I
gotta get a brace.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 20:21:43 -0800, hibb wrote:
Now every time I re-do a room I put stuff in the walls. Unopened packs
of baseball cards. Money that was dated in the year I did the project.
Personal history and pictures of my wife and me. Pictures of how the
house has changed down through the decades.

I like that. With our place it's little bits of grafitti - mostly from the
kids of the folk who built our place - tucked away out of sight where
nobody would ordinarily see it. I usually add something to it and date it...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

I found a brand new .22 rifle above the basement heating duct in a
house I rehabbed a number of years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The best thing I ever found was 2 cigar boxes filled with coin rolls from
the 1880's to 1910's. They're bank-rolled with open ends. About $200 face
value, total. They're still in the original rolls and boxes. I've had them
since 1968 and don't intend to do anything with them until my grandson
marries, then they're his to do what he wants with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 7:35*pm, "Buck Ofama" wrote:
The best thing I ever found was 2 cigar boxes filled with coin rolls from
the 1880's to 1910's. They're bank-rolled with open ends. About $200 face
value, total. They're still in the original rolls and boxes. I've had them
since 1968 and don't intend to do anything with them until my grandson
marries, then they're his to do what he wants with them.

I gotta say that I got a bit of a creepy felling when I saw that
bundle up in the rafters yesterday. Glad it turned out to just be a
roll of insulation. Maybe I should get it out of the trash bag and
unroll it just in case they hid something in there. I kinda doubt it
tho.

I just hope non of that old crap has any asbestos in it.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's the one that shoulda gone to the little blonde boy in
"A Christmas Story". Where the old man is always going down
stairs to yell at the furnace and kick it. And the boy only
wants a BB gun for Christmas.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Mess Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 5 May 8th 08 06:10 PM
This is another fine mess you... George UK diy 16 June 19th 07 01:50 AM
Artex mess around [email protected] UK diy 7 February 4th 06 12:14 PM
Wallpaper mess - help! kls9036 Home Ownership 3 May 8th 05 01:56 PM
My mess not posted! JP de Villiers Electronics Repair 2 February 11th 05 11:33 PM