Posted to alt.home.repair
hibb hibb is offline

Default What a mess

On Nov 21, 11:01*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Nov 21, 8:20*pm, "Charlie" wrote:

wrote in message

On Nov 21, 7:38?pm, hibb wrote:

Thank God for a big shovel and huge trash bags.

Just got through tearing out the ceiling in the upstairs bedroom I'm
remodeling. My father-in-law did this upstairs addition back in the
mid 1940's. He put in 1/4 inch drywall with bat insulation between the
rafters and a **** load of blown in insulation above that. And he ran
the drywall along the rafters instead of across them. No wonder the
ceiling was sagging. It's a wonder it stayed up at all.

I don't think my FIL was much of a carpenter. When I get the rest of
the interior walls torn out maybe I'll post pictures and see if any of
you recommend any structural repairs I can do before I put in the new
walls.

Interesting what people stash inside the walls. So far, I found three
large empty heart shaped boxes that chocolates come in and the box top
from some board game based on an old TV game show. They also left a
large roll of bat insulation up there. I don't know why they didn't
unroll it so it would do some good. It'll be interesting to see if
they put anything in the walls.

David

All I found was empty beer cans. No wonder there are no square corners or
plunb walls.

Charlie

I have found 5 or 6 glassd milk bottles in the walls of my home,
apparently left in place back in 1950 when the home plan was built.
found a birth certificate in another home- Hide quoted text -

I found some very old liquor bottles from the 1880's under an old home
my daughter and son-in-law bought about 15 years ago.

I found lots of stuff when I tore out the walls downstairs in this
house. It was built in 1910 but the upstairs was not finished until
much later and lots of stuff the kid played with upstairs fell into
the lower wall. There were plenty of books and newspapers and such and
those wooden blocks kids play with and a couple of toys. Non of it in
good shape when I found it. The best thing of all was a hammer. It
looked like it had hardly been used and had been in there for many
decades.

Now every time I re-do a room I put stuff in the walls. Unopened packs
of baseball cards. Money that was dated in the year I did the project.
Personal history and pictures of my wife and me. Pictures of how the
house has changed down through the decades.

David