Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie[_7_] Charlie[_7_] is offline

Default What a mess

wrote in message
On Nov 21, 7:38?pm, hibb wrote:
Thank God for a big shovel and huge trash bags.

Just got through tearing out the ceiling in the upstairs bedroom I'm
remodeling. My father-in-law did this upstairs addition back in the
mid 1940's. He put in 1/4 inch drywall with bat insulation between the
rafters and a **** load of blown in insulation above that. And he ran
the drywall along the rafters instead of across them. No wonder the
ceiling was sagging. It's a wonder it stayed up at all.

I don't think my FIL was much of a carpenter. When I get the rest of
the interior walls torn out maybe I'll post pictures and see if any of
you recommend any structural repairs I can do before I put in the new
walls.

Interesting what people stash inside the walls. So far, I found three
large empty heart shaped boxes that chocolates come in and the box top
from some board game based on an old TV game show. They also left a
large roll of bat insulation up there. I don't know why they didn't
unroll it so it would do some good. It'll be interesting to see if
they put anything in the walls.

David

All I found was empty beer cans. No wonder there are no square corners or
plunb walls.

Charlie

I have found 5 or 6 glassd milk bottles in the walls of my home,
apparently left in place back in 1950 when the home plan was built.
found a birth certificate in another home