Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sliding dovetail, part II

I finished the little stepstool I wrote about a few days ago and had an
interesting experience while cutting the pins on the router table. The
stock was between the fence and the bit. I always feed from right to
left and was just nibbling at the piece, rather than making a full cut
to the mark. The bit pulled the stock out of my hands and sent it
flying. I elected to finish the task by feeding from left to right and
had excellent control of the feed. Any thoughts?
Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

On 8/11/2011 5:42 PM, Z3Driver wrote:
I finished the little stepstool I wrote about a few days ago and had an
interesting experience while cutting the pins on the router table. The
stock was between the fence and the bit. I always feed from right to
left and was just nibbling at the piece, rather than making a full cut
to the mark. The bit pulled the stock out of my hands and sent it
flying. I elected to finish the task by feeding from left to right and
had excellent control of the feed. Any thoughts?

Right to left is the norm, but, when the bit is trapped in the cut and
cutting on both sides simultaneously, it's a crapshoot. I would
normally remove as much material as possible using either a straight bit
or the table saw. It greatly reduces the amount of "work" the dovetail
bit is doing.

--
"If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you're not a racist you'll
have to vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not stupid!"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/11/2011 4:52 PM, "__ Bøb __" wrote:

On 8/11/2011 5:42 PM, Z3Driver wrote:
I finished the little stepstool I wrote about a few days ago and had an
interesting experience while cutting the pins on the router table. The
stock was between the fence and the bit. I always feed from right to
left and was just nibbling at the piece, rather than making a full cut
to the mark. The bit pulled the stock out of my hands and sent it
flying. I elected to finish the task by feeding from left to right and
had excellent control of the feed. Any thoughts?

Right to left is the norm, but, when the bit is trapped in the cut and
cutting on both sides simultaneously, it's a crapshoot. I would normally
remove as much material as possible using either a straight bit or the
table saw. It greatly reduces the amount of "work" the dovetail bit is
doing.

I guess I wasn't clear. I was cutting the pin, so was taking about 1/32
off the edge of the board. The bit, therefore, wasn't trapped.
Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

On 8/11/2011 5:55 PM, Z3Driver wrote:
On 8/11/2011 4:52 PM, "__ Bøb __" wrote:

[...]

OOPS !!! My misread ... you DID say it was the pin you were cutting
.... for certain, you should have buried the bit in the fence and only
exposed enough of it to make the cut. You should never trap the stock
between the bit and the fence.

--
"If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you're not a racist you'll
have to vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not stupid!"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/11/2011 4:42 PM, Z3Driver wrote:
I finished the little stepstool I wrote about a few days ago and had an
interesting experience while cutting the pins on the router table. The
stock was between the fence and the bit. I always feed from right to
left and was just nibbling at the piece, rather than making a full cut
to the mark. The bit pulled the stock out of my hands and sent it
flying. I elected to finish the task by feeding from left to right and
had excellent control of the feed. Any thoughts?

You always feed against the direction that the cutting edge is moving
unless climb cutting.

If your stock was between the bit and the fence you were feeding with
the bit spin direction and it would naturally pull the work out of your
hands and throw it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/11/2011 5:32 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/11/2011 4:42 PM, Z3Driver wrote:
I finished the little stepstool I wrote about a few days ago and had an
interesting experience while cutting the pins on the router table. The
stock was between the fence and the bit. I always feed from right to
left and was just nibbling at the piece, rather than making a full cut
to the mark. The bit pulled the stock out of my hands and sent it
flying. I elected to finish the task by feeding from left to right and
had excellent control of the feed. Any thoughts?

You always feed against the direction that the cutting edge is moving
unless climb cutting.

If your stock was between the bit and the fence you were feeding with
the bit spin direction and it would naturally pull the work out of your
hands and throw it.

Aha! That makes perfect sense, Leon. This old dog appreciates learning
a new trick.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

Z3Driver wrote:
On 8/11/2011 4:52 PM, "__ Bøb __" wrote:

[...]

Doesn't matter how much you were taking off, you had the wood between fence
and bit; therefore, it was trapped. Big no-no.

Additionally, the wood being trapped and you feeding right to left, you were
making a climb cut. That too is generally a no-no.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/11/2011 4:42 PM, Z3Driver wrote:
I finished the little stepstool I wrote about a few days ago and had an
interesting experience while cutting the pins on the router table. The stock
was between the fence and the bit. I always feed from right to left and was
just nibbling at the piece, rather than making a full cut to the mark. The bit
pulled the stock out of my hands and sent it flying. I elected to finish the
task by feeding from left to right and had excellent control of the feed. Any
thoughts?

I remember going to a router class years ago at the local Woodcraft and the
instructor (a comical kind of guy) was explaining about the dangers of running
the stock between the bit and the fence, and how it could turn the stock into a
projectile. He said something like "... and the point in time when you know
when this is about to happen is when you look across the room and the board is
sticking out of the wall."

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Sliding dovetail Z3Driver Woodworking 6 August 3rd 11 10:21 PM
Sliding dovetail angle for sliding Larry C Woodworking 5 July 7th 09 01:43 AM
Patented Sliding Dovetail? Woodie[_2_] Woodworking 7 May 21st 08 09:02 PM
Sliding Dovetail box for Larry C Mekon Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 November 30th 07 12:54 AM
Sliding dovetail drawer guides Al in MT Woodworking 13 December 19th 06 01:03 PM