Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sliding dovetail

I've been assigned to make a little step stool for my granddaughter and
want to attach the full width legs to the top using a sliding dovetail.
Material is maple. Seems a bit much to expect to rout the dovetail in
the top in one pass. Alternative is to use a straight bit in increments
and then come in with the dovetail bit. Or maybe use the dado head to
clear most of the waste. Any thoughts?

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/1/2011 9:22 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
use a straight bit, then without moving the fence, change bits to a
dovetail bit, set the height correctly and remove waste.

And there you have it ....

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Agreed. You need a slot of clearance for the finished cut chips to clear
without burning and jamming the whole thing.

-------------

-----------
On 8/1/2011 10:17 PM, Z3Driver wrote:
I've been assigned to make a little step stool for my granddaughter and
want to attach the full width legs to the top using a sliding dovetail.
Material is maple. Seems a bit much to expect to rout the dovetail in
the top in one pass. Alternative is to use a straight bit in increments
and then come in with the dovetail bit. Or maybe use the dado head to
clear most of the waste. Any thoughts?

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 21:17:34 -0500, Z3Driver wrote:

I've been assigned to make a little step stool for my granddaughter and
want to attach the full width legs to the top using a sliding dovetail.
Material is maple. Seems a bit much to expect to rout the dovetail in
the top in one pass. Alternative is to use a straight bit in increments
and then come in with the dovetail bit. Or maybe use the dado head to
clear most of the waste. Any thoughts?

Larry

But remember you gotta' have the depth of cut with the dovetail bit
ZACTLY right the first time. There's no redo's up or down.

-Zz

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 21:17:34 -0500, Z3Driver wrote:

I've been assigned to make a little step stool for my granddaughter and
want to attach the full width legs to the top using a sliding dovetail.
Material is maple. Seems a bit much to expect to rout the dovetail in
the top in one pass. Alternative is to use a straight bit in increments
and then come in with the dovetail bit. Or maybe use the dado head to
clear most of the waste. Any thoughts?

Those should be hand-cut, Z. Auger bit and corner chisel for the
inner ends, then dovetail or Zona saw for the straight cuts.

Otherwise, your "alternative" is the proper way to do it the Normite
way: Incrementally with a straight bit, then a dovetail bit to take
out the wings.

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, friends. Made a trial run and got a pretty good fit. The pin
-- about 7 inches long -- was nice and tight, although the shoulders sat
about 1/32 short of flush. A couple more trial shots and I should have
it tight all around.