Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shopsmith Lathe

Hi: I have been using a Shopsmith primarily as a sanding station for the
past 25+ years. It is used occasionally for other purposes but primarily as
a superb sanding tool. I have very limited experience with lathe work and I
intend to begin some practice projects using the Shopsmith's lathe
capability. I have been told that the lathe function of the Shopsmith is
questionable. It seems to me that it should perform satisfactorily.

Does anyone have first hand experience or knowledge of the Shopsmith's lathe
capability. All comments will be appreciated.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 15:20:29 -0400, John wrote:

Does anyone have first hand experience or knowledge of the Shopsmith's
lathe capability. All comments will be appreciated.

It's been a long time, but I did some lathe work on one. I had to drape
several sandbags across the lower legs to keep it from walking. And even
then it wasn't a good idea to put a large out of balance bowl blank on
it. Other than that, IIRC, it worked OK

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 23:55:49 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 15:20:29 -0400, John wrote:

Does anyone have first hand experience or knowledge of the Shopsmith's
lathe capability. All comments will be appreciated.

It's been a long time, but I did some lathe work on one. I had to drape
several sandbags across the lower legs to keep it from walking. And even
then it wasn't a good idea to put a large out of balance bowl blank on
it. Other than that, IIRC, it worked OK

I've done a fair lot of spindle turning and a little faceplate work on
a Model 510 (upgraded from Mark 5). I had no problems or issues, but
I don't have much experience with other lathes so hard to compare. I
did buy the ball bearing live center for the tailstock. And the
continuously variable speed is nice.

I can see where a heavy out of balance blank would be trouble (but I
guess it always is). The SS is heavy, but not *that* heavy.

HTH,

Paul F.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John - welcome to woodturning. It can be more fun than a barrel of
monkeys, and just as frustrating.

You SS will do just fine. No, it isn't the Powermatic "mustard
monster", but it is a good lathe for smaller projects. Don't overload
it, and it should serve you quite well.

In my old woodturning club we had a couple of members that had SS
lathes that the used to turn all manner of things like vases,
candlesticks, pens, lidded boxes, etc. They turned out some *great*
work, and they loved their machines.

I personally think it is a great choice of machines (since you already
have it!) to learn about woodturning and how much time and effort you
want to invest in the craft.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

I have several lathes, I use my shopsmith for all types of turning, no
problems. I will often use the SS for the initial turning (roughing),
outside in the driveway (faster clean up) and do the finish turning on one
of my other lathes. The only problem I have with the SS is that it is low,
and I have to take several breaks to rest my back, but it is still a good
piece of equipment.

Joe
"John" wrote in message
ng.com...
Hi: I have been using a Shopsmith primarily as a sanding station for the
past 25+ years. It is used occasionally for other purposes but primarily
as a superb sanding tool. I have very limited experience with lathe work
and I intend to begin some practice projects using the Shopsmith's lathe
capability. I have been told that the lathe function of the Shopsmith is
questionable. It seems to me that it should perform satisfactorily.

Does anyone have first hand experience or knowledge of the Shopsmith's
lathe capability. All comments will be appreciated.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for your inputs. I will give it a try.

wrote in message om...

I have several lathes, I use my shopsmith for all types of turning, no
problems. I will often use the SS for the initial turning (roughing),
outside in the driveway (faster clean up) and do the finish turning on one
of my other lathes. The only problem I have with the SS is that it is low,
and I have to take several breaks to rest my back, but it is still a good
piece of equipment.

Joe
"John" wrote in message
ng.com...
Hi: I have been using a Shopsmith primarily as a sanding station for the
past 25+ years. It is used occasionally for other purposes but primarily
as a superb sanding tool. I have very limited experience with lathe work
and I intend to begin some practice projects using the Shopsmith's lathe
capability. I have been told that the lathe function of the Shopsmith is
questionable. It seems to me that it should perform satisfactorily.

Does anyone have first hand experience or knowledge of the Shopsmith's
lathe capability. All comments will be appreciated.

John

Shopsmith Charles Friedman Woodturning 13 May 14th 07 01:55 AM
Shopsmith Joseph Handy Woodturning 6 April 7th 06 03:22 PM
Shopsmith lathe info Dave Woodturning 20 March 8th 06 08:23 PM
Shopsmith Ronald L. Schloss Woodworking 6 August 3rd 05 05:28 PM
shopsmith Carl Stigers Woodworking 1 November 1st 04 01:05 AM