Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joseph Handy

Default Shopsmith

I was wondering what model Shopsmiths the members of this group own.

After reading the above posts it seemed that the two major problems with the
Shopsmith lathe function is the weight of the unit and the height.

I am wondering if the 510 better than the 500; and if the 520 better than
the 500 and 510 concerning these issues. I did hear that the 510 is bulkier
than the 500 but I don't know whether it's enough heavier to make a
difference.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am currently looking at buying a
used shopsmith and am weighing the pros and cons of the different models.

Joseph

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Joseph Handy wrote:
I was wondering what model Shopsmiths the members of this group own.

After reading the above posts it seemed that the two major problems with the
Shopsmith lathe function is the weight of the unit and the height.

I am wondering if the 510 better than the 500; and if the 520 better than
the 500 and 510 concerning these issues. I did hear that the 510 is bulkier
than the 500 but I don't know whether it's enough heavier to make a
difference.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am currently looking at buying a
used shopsmith and am weighing the pros and cons of the different models.

Joseph

The differences between the 500,510, and 520 are upgrades to the basic
500. It included better fences and rails, but I don't recall any
upgrades to the lathe function till lately, when they did improve the
tool rest. I had a 500 upgraded to 510 and I upgraded to the 520 before
I sold it. I you are looking at it for primarily lathe work, I would
put my money somewhere else. The weight difference between them is
negligible. The height is NOT adjustable, either.

Just MHO.

The Other Bruce

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lyndell Thompson

"Joseph Handy" wrote in message
I was wondering what model Shopsmiths the members of this group own.

After reading the above posts it seemed that the two major problems with
the Shopsmith lathe function is the weight of the unit and the height.

I am wondering if the 510 better than the 500; and if the 520 better than
the 500 and 510 concerning these issues. I did hear that the 510 is
bulkier than the 500 but I don't know whether it's enough heavier to make
a difference.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am currently looking at buying a
used shopsmith and am weighing the pros and cons of the different models.

Joseph

There several here that have Shopsmiths. I myself have an old 10ER (year
1949) which won't help much in your decision making. However I do have some
advice. If you do much turning it problably will be too low for you. I
remedy this by setting each end of mine on a regular 8" concrete block. IIRC
you are looking for a height of a little below the elbow. Obviously you have
to remove these to use the tablesaw etc. The SS variable speed is nice cuz
you don't have to change belts to change speed. Seems to be ample
accessories available on ebay etc. for the newer machines. Have fun.
Good Luck Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Joseph Handy" wrote in message
I was wondering what model Shopsmiths the members of this group own.

After reading the above posts it seemed that the two major problems with
the Shopsmith lathe function is the weight of the unit and the height.

I am wondering if the 510 better than the 500; and if the 520 better than
the 500 and 510 concerning these issues. I did hear that the 510 is
bulkier than the 500 but I don't know whether it's enough heavier to make
a difference.

Weight is not an issue. Rigidity is an issue. Weight distribution might
be an issue.

Whether the weight is in the tool, on the tool, or attached to the bottom by
bolts, Newton counts it in determining inertia. If the bed bars flex under
the rest and the head remains firm - 'nother thing.

So long as you confine your turning to things such as you would turn on any
other light-duty lathe, shouldn't be a big problem to turn on a SS. As to
variable speed, the less time you spend fussing with the dial the more you
can spend on turning. A smooth cut doesn't care at what speed the lathe is
turning. A rough one might produce a narrower chatter pattern at higher.
Back to rigid, only this time the piece plays.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 19:13:50 -0400, "Joseph Handy" wrote:

I was wondering what model Shopsmiths the members of this group own.

After reading the above posts it seemed that the two major problems with the
Shopsmith lathe function is the weight of the unit and the height.

I am wondering if the 510 better than the 500; and if the 520 better than
the 500 and 510 concerning these issues. I did hear that the 510 is bulkier
than the 500 but I don't know whether it's enough heavier to make a
difference.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am currently looking at buying a
used shopsmith and am weighing the pros and cons of the different models.

Joseph

I have a "mark V 500", as far as I can tell...
Bought it new in 1980 and have never regretted it..

The higher the number, (510, 520, etc.), the more upgrades it will have.. bigger
and more tables, cranks instead of the clunky handles, etc..

AFAIK, the basic frame, motor, and rails are the same, as is the reeves drive..

Used is the way to go, for sure.. the higher the model number and the more
accessories that come with it, the better..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bob Daun

I bought my 510 in 1986 and have used it extensively for lathe turning
(bowls--both segmented and natural). I have turned approximately 50 bowls
ranging in diameter from about 11 inches down to 3-4 inches. I am six feet
tall and it would be nice if the unit were 6" or so higher, I really have no
particular difficulty. When I get to finishing the inside of bowls, I often
do move the bowl to the far right side of the unit and sit on a stool while
doing the interior work. I did all my turning with faceplates until I
purchased a OneWay Stronghold chuck (including the appropriate Jumbo Jaws
for finishing the bottoms. I still do use the faceplates at times. I use
primarily Crown HSS tools as well as a Stronghold Termite.
I wouldn't buy a Shopsmith if I only wanted it for turning but as a
multipurpose tool it is very good with very good product support from the
manufacturer.

"Joseph Handy" wrote in message
I was wondering what model Shopsmiths the members of this group own.

After reading the above posts it seemed that the two major problems with

the
Shopsmith lathe function is the weight of the unit and the height.

I am wondering if the 510 better than the 500; and if the 520 better than
the 500 and 510 concerning these issues. I did hear that the 510 is

bulkier
than the 500 but I don't know whether it's enough heavier to make a
difference.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am currently looking at buying a
used shopsmith and am weighing the pros and cons of the different models.

Joseph

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:34:17 -0700, "Bob Daun" wrote:

Bob..
I'm about your height, (was 6' 2" but some settling of contents), and when I was
doing a lot of turning on the shopsmith I'd raise the ends and put a 4x4 under
them.. makes it nice and stable because the legs just seem made for a 4x4, and
it gets it up a little.. YMMV

[...]

Ping Mac Davis ! Shopsmith arbor diameterG. Lyndell Thompson Woodturning 28 February 5th 06 01:36 AM
Good price on a shopsmith 10 ER Bill Woodturning 0 April 13th 04 01:17 AM
Shopsmith bandsaw tires, no replacements for 1984 model. Jack Straight Woodworking 4 March 2nd 04 03:51 PM
Shopsmith pricing GRL Woodworking 32 February 29th 04 02:59 PM
Robland X31 and Shopsmith for sale- Northern California Jerry Hall Woodworking 0 November 7th 03 12:55 AM