Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New shop - level floor, or not?

I've moved into a place that has a large (24 x 50) pole barn on the
property. I've started the process of converting it into an enclosed
building and I intend to set up my shop in it. I have discovered that
the existing concrete slab is not at all flat and is out of level by
about 2 inches over a span of about 20 feet.

My previous shop was in a basement, also on concrete slab, also out of
level and not flat. It was a niusance having to fiddle with roller
stands and other temporary supports to compensate for it as was
necessary when I moved them. Other than that, I never really noticed the
flaw in the floor.

I'm considering putting a plywood floor on top of the slab anyway, just
so I don't have to stand on concrete. Would it be worth the trouble to
raise that floor on sleepers and shim them so the floor is level? Can
such a structure be made stiff enough to work well under heavy
machinery?

TIA.

--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net

designing an RFP for an entry-level loadout (crossposted to VirtualMachine Shop forums) Donovan Digital Metalworking 13 October 16th 10 11:20 PM
Floor tiles - how level is level? Jeff[_8_] UK diy 14 March 25th 08 11:11 AM
Floor tiling - making up for uneven floor level. Mark S. UK diy 3 August 11th 06 09:17 AM
Split Level Shop Jay Pique Woodworking 3 March 30th 06 07:07 AM
Shop cabs - level or follow floor slope ? Folklore Woodworking 9 February 3rd 05 05:35 AM