Posted to rec.woodworking

Default One step forward, two back

Don't you just hate re-dos? I'm milling up some lumber
and get to the point of assembly and find that I
hadn't been paying attention to the thickness of the pieces.
Too thin! I keep joining them to take out some cupping and
just thought it look ok.

My fault, my time, and I'm glad I'm not working for anyone but
me. I have ordered myself back into the shop and remake these
pieces on my own time and this time - CHECK the measurements
along the way!

ARG!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"MJ" wrote in message
Don't you just hate re-dos? I'm milling up some lumber
and get to the point of assembly and find that I
hadn't been paying attention to the thickness of the pieces.
Too thin! I keep joining them to take out some cupping and
just thought it look ok.

My fault, my time, and I'm glad I'm not working for anyone but
me. I have ordered myself back into the shop and remake these
pieces on my own time and this time - CHECK the measurements
along the way!

ARG!

Did that with some cabinet fronts. I intended to use the slightly thinner
pieces all on one front but got the pieces mixed up and....well you can
guess the rest.
Had to re-do that one. Bah!!

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/21/2011 7:24 PM, MJ wrote:
Don't you just hate re-dos? I'm milling up some lumber
and get to the point of assembly and find that I
hadn't been paying attention to the thickness of the pieces.
Too thin! I keep joining them to take out some cupping and
just thought it look ok.

My fault, my time, and I'm glad I'm not working for anyone but
me. I have ordered myself back into the shop and remake these
pieces on my own time and this time - CHECK the measurements
along the way!

Sounds like you could use a planer.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/21/2011 7:24 PM, MJ wrote:
Don't you just hate re-dos? I'm milling up some lumber
and get to the point of assembly and find that I
hadn't been paying attention to the thickness of the pieces.
Too thin! I keep joining them to take out some cupping and
just thought it look ok.

My fault, my time, and I'm glad I'm not working for anyone but
me. I have ordered myself back into the shop and remake these
pieces on my own time and this time - CHECK the measurements
along the way!

ARG!

A couple of things you are doing wrong.

1. Continuing to mill lumber that is too thin will not make it the
correct thickness or thicker.

2. Trying to achieve proper consistent thickness using a jointer is
like using hammer to shorten a board.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 22, 8:41*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 7/21/2011 7:24 PM, MJ wrote:

Don't you just hate re-dos? I'm milling up some lumber
and get to the point of assembly and find that I
hadn't been paying attention to the thickness of the pieces.
Too thin! I keep joining them to take out some cupping and
just thought it look ok.

My fault, my time, and I'm glad I'm not working for anyone but
me. I have ordered myself back into the shop and remake these
pieces on my own time and this time - CHECK the measurements
along the way!

ARG!

A couple of things you are doing wrong.

1. *Continuing to mill lumber that is too thin will not make it the
correct thickness or thicker.

2. *Trying to achieve proper consistent thickness using a jointer is
like using hammer to shorten a board.

That all depends on which end of the board you're trying to shorten.

Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:
: Don't you just hate re-dos? I'm milling up some lumber
: and get to the point of assembly and find that I
: hadn't been paying attention to the thickness of the pieces.
: Too thin! I keep joining them to take out some cupping and
: just thought it look ok.

Borrow a planer, and use that for thicknessing. As for the ones that are
too short: run them through the planer backwards.

}:-} Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

Another variation on the old "I cut that board twice and it was still
too short" complaint.