Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default Impact drivers and bits

I have a Makita 18v impact driver with which I'm well satisfied........well
almost.
The only bits I can use in it are those made by Makita. Any other brand
sticks in the holder and is a bitch to remove. I can't seem to find a
source for Makita bits *other* than in a set with a variety of different
type bits. Makita lists a 10 piece set of #2 phillips bits as part
#784211-2A but no one seems to carry them.
Anyone else have this problem? And suggestions?

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
b.com...
I have a Makita 18v impact driver with which I'm well satisfied........well
almost.
The only bits I can use in it are those made by Makita. Any other brand
sticks in the holder and is a bitch to remove. I can't seem to find a
source for Makita bits *other* than in a set with a variety of different
type bits. Makita lists a 10 piece set of #2 phillips bits as part
#784211-2A but no one seems to carry them.
Anyone else have this problem? And suggestions?

Max

I'm not familiar with that driver, but ...
If it uses wire detent bits and you insert a ball detent bit
it will get stuck.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote in message ...

"Max" wrote in message
b.com...
I have a Makita 18v impact driver with which I'm well satisfied........well
almost.
The only bits I can use in it are those made by Makita. Any other brand
sticks in the holder and is a bitch to remove. I can't seem to find a
source for Makita bits *other* than in a set with a variety of different
type bits. Makita lists a 10 piece set of #2 phillips bits as part
#784211-2A but no one seems to carry them.
Anyone else have this problem? And suggestions?

Max

I'm not familiar with that driver, but ...
If it uses wire detent bits and you insert a ball detent bit
it will get stuck.
Art

I just looked up that makita pn and it is wire detent.
Have you tried here http://www.mcfeelys.com/search/wire+detent?
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/21/2011 4:13 PM, Max wrote:
I have a Makita 18v impact driver with which I'm well
satisfied........well almost.
The only bits I can use in it are those made by Makita. Any other brand
sticks in the holder and is a bitch to remove. I can't seem to find a
source for Makita bits *other* than in a set with a variety of different
type bits. Makita lists a 10 piece set of #2 phillips bits as part
#784211-2A but no one seems to carry them.
Anyone else have this problem? And suggestions?

Max

i guess google is a little too complicated eh?

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-784211-.../dp/B001PIEH82

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Artemus" wrote in message

I just looked up that makita pn and it is wire detent.
Have you tried here http://www.mcfeelys.com/search/wire+detent?
Art

The driver is this one:
http://tinyurl.com/3kop2fx
it takes ball detent bits
I had the wrong pn.
it's:
784316-A or
784316A100

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Max" wrote in message
b.com...
"Artemus" wrote in message

I just looked up that makita pn and it is wire detent.
Have you tried here http://www.mcfeelys.com/search/wire+detent?
Art

The driver is this one:
http://tinyurl.com/3kop2fx
it takes ball detent bits
I had the wrong pn.
it's:
784316-A or
784316A100

And I don't want 100. ;-)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 21, 5:13*pm, "Max" wrote:
I have a Makita 18v impact driver with which I'm well satisfied........well
almost.
The only bits I can use in it are those made by Makita. *Any other brand
sticks in the holder and is a bitch to remove. *I can't seem to find a
source for Makita bits *other* than in a set with a variety of different
type bits. *Makita lists a 10 piece set of #2 phillips bits as part
#784211-2A but no one seems to carry them.
Anyone else have this problem? * And suggestions?

Max

The makita 18v impact can be a bear on inferior bits. The ball detent
is universal and you just need to buy better ball detent bits. I've
used my 18v to drive sockets w/an adapter and totally twisted the
adapter in circles or broke them. McFeeleys has good bits that last
for me. There are others out there available locally. Shop around and
see what works for you.

RP
Posted to rec.woodworking

Those impact drivers can break bits in a hurry if you're not careful.
Square drives as well as Phillips head. I've seen some made
specifically for impacts, but I can't remember where and I'm not
googling right now sorry. I think McFeely's.
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:31:00 -0700 (PDT), JayPique
wrote:

Those impact drivers can break bits in a hurry if you're not careful.
Square drives as well as Phillips head. I've seen some made
specifically for impacts, but I can't remember where and I'm not
googling right now sorry. I think McFeely's.

DeWalt has a series of "Impact Ready" bits. HomeDespot carries them.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote:

Those impact drivers can break bits in a hurry if you're not careful.
Square drives as well as Phillips head. I've seen some made
specifically for impacts, but I can't remember where and I'm not
googling right now sorry. I think McFeely's.

DeWalt has a series of "Impact Ready" bits. HomeDespot carries them.

But my problem is finding #2 Phillips bits (made by Makita) in quantities in
less than 100.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Max" wrote in message
b.com...

wrote:

Those impact drivers can break bits in a hurry if you're not careful.
Square drives as well as Phillips head. I've seen some made
specifically for impacts, but I can't remember where and I'm not
googling right now sorry. I think McFeely's.

DeWalt has a series of "Impact Ready" bits. HomeDespot carries them.

But my problem is finding #2 Phillips bits (made by Makita) in quantities
in less than 100.

Max

I found them at ACE Tool and they ain't cheap!

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:02:15 -0600, "Max" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Those impact drivers can break bits in a hurry if you're not careful.
Square drives as well as Phillips head. I've seen some made
specifically for impacts, but I can't remember where and I'm not
googling right now sorry. I think McFeely's.

DeWalt has a series of "Impact Ready" bits. HomeDespot carries them.

But my problem is finding #2 Phillips bits (made by Makita) in quantities in
less than 100.

Remind me to never buy another Makita tool.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:02:15 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

Those impact drivers can break bits in a hurry if you're not careful.
Square drives as well as Phillips head. I've seen some made
specifically for impacts, but I can't remember where and I'm not
googling right now sorry. I think McFeely's.

DeWalt has a series of "Impact Ready" bits. HomeDespot carries them.

But my problem is finding #2 Phillips bits (made by Makita) in quantities
in
less than 100.

Remind me to never buy another Makita tool.

I will whenever I replace mine with Bosch. ;-)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:24:20 -0600, "Max" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Those impact drivers can break bits in a hurry if you're not careful.
Square drives as well as Phillips head. I've seen some made
specifically for impacts, but I can't remember where and I'm not
googling right now sorry. I think McFeely's.

DeWalt has a series of "Impact Ready" bits. HomeDespot carries them.

But my problem is finding #2 Phillips bits (made by Makita) in quantities
in
less than 100.

Remind me to never buy another Makita tool.

I will whenever I replace mine with Bosch. ;-)

I already did. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:08:13 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

"Artemus" wrote in message

I just looked up that makita pn and it is wire detent.
Have you tried here http://www.mcfeelys.com/search/wire+detent?
Art

The driver is this one:
http://tinyurl.com/3kop2fx
it takes ball detent bits
I had the wrong pn.
it's:
784316-A or
784316A100

I have the Makita BD141 and it takes every bit I've found at home
centers and hardware stores. Ball detent is the standard. I have no
idea why you might be having problems. The only bits I couldn't fit
into mine were the HF double-ended philips bits. They were 0.010" too
large in diameter.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:02:15 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Those impact drivers can break bits in a hurry if you're not careful.
Square drives as well as Phillips head. I've seen some made
specifically for impacts, but I can't remember where and I'm not
googling right now sorry. I think McFeely's.

DeWalt has a series of "Impact Ready" bits. HomeDespot carries them.

But my problem is finding #2 Phillips bits (made by Makita) in quantities in
less than 100.

Even cheapies from the Harbor Fright 10-packs work well in mine.
I have trouble finding 4 and 6" lengths locally for a decent price,
but Lee Valley has them and I buy from them during free shipping
offers. I tried a 4" from HD and it broke on the third or fourth deck
screw, but now I use torx screws for that.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

someone wrote:
Remind me to never buy another Makita tool.

I will whenever I replace mine with Bosch. ;-)

My Makita replaced a Bosch and I love both. YMMV.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/21/2011 4:32 PM, Artemus wrote:
wrote in message
b.com...
I have a Makita 18v impact driver with which I'm well satisfied........well
almost.
The only bits I can use in it are those made by Makita. Any other brand
sticks in the holder and is a bitch to remove. I can't seem to find a
source for Makita bits *other* than in a set with a variety of different
type bits. Makita lists a 10 piece set of #2 phillips bits as part
#784211-2A but no one seems to carry them.
Anyone else have this problem? And suggestions?

Max

I'm not familiar with that driver, but ...
If it uses wire detent bits and you insert a ball detent bit
it will get stuck.
Art

If you get regular drive bits intended for the typical drill and you
push the bit to the limit it can distort the bit and make it difficult
to insert and remove. Typically I have no problem with McFeeleys screw
driver bits.

Consider also bit intended for impact driver use. Take Milwaukee Shock
Wave bit sets for instance.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Those impact drivers can break bits in a hurry if you're not careful.
Square drives as well as Phillips head. I've seen some made
specifically for impacts, but I can't remember where and I'm not
googling right now sorry. I think McFeely's.

DeWalt has a series of "Impact Ready" bits. HomeDespot carries them.

But my problem is finding #2 Phillips bits (made by Makita) in
quantities in
less than 100.

Remind me to never buy another Makita tool.

I will whenever I replace mine with Bosch. ;-)

Max

FWIW I have a 9.6 12 volt Makita impact driver, the green one, and I
have an 18 volt Bosch Impact driver. I use the Bosch as a back up if I
get that desperate. Probably will never buy a Bosch drill, driver,
impact again. Over the past 15 or so years I have had the opportunity
to use 4-5 Bosh drills, impacts etc. All have failed in some way except
for the free Bosch impact that I some how won and don't use.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/21/2011 6:08 PM, RP wrote:
On Jul 21, 5:13 pm, wrote:
I have a Makita 18v impact driver with which I'm well satisfied........well
almost.
The only bits I can use in it are those made by Makita. Any other brand
sticks in the holder and is a bitch to remove. I can't seem to find a
source for Makita bits *other* than in a set with a variety of different
type bits. Makita lists a 10 piece set of #2 phillips bits as part
#784211-2A but no one seems to carry them.
Anyone else have this problem? And suggestions?

Max

The makita 18v impact can be a bear on inferior bits.

So can the 12 volt.

The ball detent
is universal and you just need to buy better ball detent bits.

Correct.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 7/21/2011 6:08 PM, RP wrote:
On Jul 21, 5:13 pm, wrote:
I have a Makita 18v impact driver with which I'm well
satisfied........well
almost.
The only bits I can use in it are those made by Makita. Any other brand
sticks in the holder and is a bitch to remove. I can't seem to find a
source for Makita bits *other* than in a set with a variety of different
type bits. Makita lists a 10 piece set of #2 phillips bits as part
#784211-2A but no one seems to carry them.
Anyone else have this problem? And suggestions?

Max

The makita 18v impact can be a bear on inferior bits.

So can the 12 volt.

The ball detent
is universal and you just need to buy better ball detent bits.

Correct.

I've used some "junk" bits that I've since disposed of but I still have some
Hitachi, some DeWalt, some Bosch and a few Makita bits from bit sets I
bought just to get a supply of Makita Phillips bits.
Any brand other than Makita gives me "fits"...or, rather...unfits.
As Larry mentioned it could be the bit holder. I have a Milwaukee 6580-20
that had the same problem until the bit holder was replaced under warranty.

Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion.

Max