Posted to rec.woodworking

Default compare impact drivers

Compare impact driver brands.....

I have other Dewalt 9.6 & 14.4 tools, so that brand and those voltages
get first consideration. I would use it for general woodshop
construction. I have a corded hammerdrill for heavy stuff.

For those of you that have tried different brands, what are your
experiences. I have tried Dewalt, makita, and Ridgid, but have not
compared them side by side.

I have not seen discussions here or anywhere about brand comparisons,
have you?......
Posted to rec.woodworking

"eganders" wrote in message
Compare impact driver brands.....

I have other Dewalt 9.6 & 14.4 tools, so that brand and those voltages
get first consideration. I would use it for general woodshop
construction. I have a corded hammerdrill for heavy stuff.

For those of you that have tried different brands, what are your
experiences. I have tried Dewalt, makita, and Ridgid, but have not
compared them side by side.

I have not seen discussions here or anywhere about brand comparisons,
have you?......

I have the Bosch 10.8v ion-lithium-warp-drive or whatever they are called
and like it. Gobs o' torque, even battery wear, quick recharge, and I
always applaud Bosch (as long as it's earned) on their ergonomics/build
quality. They just feel good in use. My only gripe would be the noise when
the clutch kicks in (or would it be kicks out?...). Not sure how loud the
others are. No regrets at all. Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

eganders wrote:
Compare impact driver brands.....

I have other Dewalt 9.6 & 14.4 tools, so that brand and those voltages
get first consideration. I would use it for general woodshop
construction. I have a corded hammerdrill for heavy stuff.

For those of you that have tried different brands, what are your
experiences. I have tried Dewalt, makita, and Ridgid, but have not
compared them side by side.

I like the grip and balance of the Makita. The Ridgid battery
replacement policy is attractive. Panasonic has some interesting
technology around torque control. Some models have had a digital
clutch, while others have had the ability to switch into single beat
mode, where it gives a quarter turn or so at a time. This lets you sink
the fastener to precisely the desired depth.

Also look at the size/weight of the units. Some are much longer than
others, which could make it hard to get into tight spaces. The lithium
ion based ones are generally much lighter.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"eganders" wrote
Compare impact driver brands.....

I have other Dewalt 9.6 & 14.4 tools, so that brand and those voltages
get first consideration. I would use it for general woodshop
construction. I have a corded hammerdrill for heavy stuff.

For those of you that have tried different brands, what are your
experiences. I have tried Dewalt, makita, and Ridgid, but have not
compared them side by side.

I have not seen discussions here or anywhere about brand comparisons,
have you?......

I have a Makita 6980FD, 12V , NiMH, impact driver that is adequate for
light work.
I also have a Makita BTD 140, 18V, Li-ion, driver that is a much better
tool and with which I am well pleased.
I got the 18V model, as a gift, in a set that included the impact
driver, a driver drill and a hammer drill.
I'll be selling my 12V versions soon. G

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"eganders" wrote in message
Compare impact driver brands.....

I have other Dewalt 9.6 & 14.4 tools, so that brand and those voltages
get first consideration. I would use it for general woodshop
construction. I have a corded hammerdrill for heavy stuff.

For those of you that have tried different brands, what are your
experiences. I have tried Dewalt, makita, and Ridgid, but have not
compared them side by side.

I have not seen discussions here or anywhere about brand comparisons,
have you?......

Tools of the Trade magazine just did a comparison of these impact drivers.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=705143

Posted to rec.woodworking

Fine Home Building in the last issue had a comparison article.

CP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:37:52 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

Tools of the Trade magazine just did a comparison of these impact drivers.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=705143

Great link, Leon.. thanks..

Looks like I'll be going with Craftsman again, simple economics..
$80 for the tool and I have the 2 battery multi-charger and several batteries..

The smaller, lighter ones look good, but for my mostly bench use I can live with
the Craftsman, which looks pretty much like the 2 drill/drivers that I have
now..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote

Looks like I'll be going with Craftsman again, simple economics..
$80 for the tool and I have the 2 battery multi-charger and several
batteries..

The smaller, lighter ones look good, but for my mostly bench use I can
live with
the Craftsman, which looks pretty much like the 2 drill/drivers that I
have
now..

What is involved in buying tools where you are?

Do you have to bribe the border guards?