Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

Default Safety Warning - Impact Drivers

Just as a sort of reminder to all...

I recently purchased a Makita 6980 FD
Cordless Impact Driver. It really is a
super bit of kit.. However.. a small safety
warning....

I have had two screwdriver tips shatter ..
The last bit broke off and hit the
face mask I was thankfully wearing
traveling a some speed.

See photos here...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/odds/impact

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

RzB wrote:
Just as a sort of reminder to all...

I recently purchased a Makita 6980 FD
Cordless Impact Driver. It really is a
super bit of kit.. However.. a small safety
warning....

I have had two screwdriver tips shatter ..
The last bit broke off and hit the
face mask I was thankfully wearing
traveling a some speed.

See photos here...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/odds/impact

Roy

You should by better bits then.
--

Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
RzB wrote:
Just as a sort of reminder to all...

I recently purchased a Makita 6980 FD
Cordless Impact Driver. It really is a
super bit of kit.. However.. a small safety
warning....

snip
You should by better bits then.

So, this will never happen with quality bits?
And what about bits of the screw?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

Hmmm - perhaps -

The bits came with the Driver - Makita bits..

What would you recommend?

Roy

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
news
RzB wrote:
Just as a sort of reminder to all...

I recently purchased a Makita 6980 FD
Cordless Impact Driver. It really is a
super bit of kit.. However.. a small safety
warning....

I have had two screwdriver tips shatter ..
The last bit broke off and hit the
face mask I was thankfully wearing
traveling a some speed.

See photos here...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/odds/impact

Roy

You should by better bits then.
--

Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

RzB wrote:
Hmmm - perhaps -

The bits came with the Driver - Makita bits..

While I don't agree with the notion that better bits will necessarily
last longer when using an impact driver, I do think that a lot of
bundled Makita and DeWalt bits are of quite poor quality.

What would you recommend?

I have several sets of Wera bits, and have been very impressed with
them, they seem to last a very long time.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100189&ts=00698&id=66586

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

"Grunff" wrote in message
RzB wrote:
Hmmm - perhaps -

The bits came with the Driver - Makita bits..

While I don't agree with the notion that better bits will necessarily last
longer when using an impact driver, I do think that a lot of bundled
Makita and DeWalt bits are of quite poor quality.

What would you recommend?

I have several sets of Wera bits, and have been very impressed with them,
they seem to last a very long time.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100189&ts=00698&id=66586

--
Grunff

Grunff,

Many thanks for your help...

Yes - good thought - I have some Wera screwdrivers
and they are very good...

I believe the bits do need to have this sort of shank,...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/odds/impact/shank

I expect Wera do this sort of bit - I will follow up on this..

Thanks,
Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Grunff" wrote in message
RzB wrote:
Hmmm - perhaps -

The bits came with the Driver - Makita bits..

While I don't agree with the notion that better bits will necessarily last
longer when using an impact driver, I do think that a lot of bundled
Makita and DeWalt bits are of quite poor quality.

What would you recommend?

I have several sets of Wera bits, and have been very impressed with them,
they seem to last a very long time.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100189&ts=00698&id=66586

I have had these shatter on me using a drill/driver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Doctor Drivel wrote:

I have had these shatter on me using a drill/driver.

I don't believe you'd ever spend more than 5p on a bit set.

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

RzB wrote:

I believe the bits do need to have this sort of shank,...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/odds/impact/shank

I expect Wera do this sort of bit - I will follow up on this..

Either the bits or the holder - my Wera sets have bit holders like this:
http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/77448.jpg
which are necked for shock absorption.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

I recently purchased a Makita 6980 FD
Cordless Impact Driver. It really is a
super bit of kit.. However.. a small safety
warning....

I wonder if you might be able to return it to the shop as not being
fit for the purpose...

--
--- Please add "newsgroup" in the subject of any personal replies ---
--- My anti-spam address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
I recently purchased a Makita 6980 FD
Cordless Impact Driver. It really is a
super bit of kit.. However.. a small safety
warning....

I wonder if you might be able to return it to the shop as not being
fit for the purpose...

Hmmm - No, I don't want to do that!
It's tooo good !!

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

RzB wrote in message
Just as a sort of reminder to all...

I recently purchased a Makita 6980 FD
Cordless Impact Driver. It really is a
super bit of kit.. However.. a small safety
warning....

Yep same thing happened to me
You need Wiha gold as a minimum spec
cant see why manufactures supply crap accessories with supposedly
professional quality tools though ;(
My one is a DeWalt

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 18:49:49 -0000, "RzB"
wrote:

Just as a sort of reminder to all...

I recently purchased a Makita 6980 FD
Cordless Impact Driver. It really is a
super bit of kit.. However.. a small safety
warning....

I have had two screwdriver tips shatter ..
The last bit broke off and hit the
face mask I was thankfully wearing
traveling a some speed.

See photos here...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/odds/impact

Roy

Unfortunately Makita, Bosch and DeWalt all supply pretty mediochre
bits in their tool bundles. Rather stupid really because they let
down what are otherwise excellent tools.

The only screwdriver/drill manufacturer that I have found who does
supply good quality bits with tools and separately is Festool.

In terms of good quality screwdriver bits, I tend to use products
made by Wera and Wiha.

Having said that, I wonder whether using Pozidriv screws is a good
idea with an impact driver anyway. Cam out is a problem with them at
the best of times and nurges the bit as well. From the photo, it
looks as though that had been happening before the bit broke.
Adding impact driving to the mix makes the effect worse.

Generally Torx screws and bits seem to work a lot better from the
perspective of avoiding camout. I tend to use them for most
purposes now, although I haven't tried them for impact use. Might be
worth a try.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

[...]

Matt, what impact driver do you have to try it out on?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , RzB
writes
Just as a sort of reminder to all...

I recently purchased a Makita 6980 FD
Cordless Impact Driver. It really is a
super bit of kit.. However.. a small safety
warning....

I have had two screwdriver tips shatter ..
The last bit broke off and hit the
face mask I was thankfully wearing
traveling a some speed.

It doesn't look like a very speedy face mask, and I can't see any damage
to it

See photos here...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/odds/impact

Cheap bits?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , RzB
writes
Hmmm - perhaps -

The bits came with the Driver - Makita bits..

What would you recommend?

A) not top posting and

B) stick to No More Nails

RzB wrote:
Just as a sort of reminder to all...

I recently purchased a Makita 6980 FD
Cordless Impact Driver. It really is a
super bit of kit.. However.. a small safety
warning....

I have had two screwdriver tips shatter ..
The last bit broke off and hit the
face mask I was thankfully wearing
traveling a some speed.

See photos here...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/odds/impact

Roy

You should by better bits then.
--

Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
"Grunff" wrote in message
RzB wrote:
Hmmm - perhaps -

The bits came with the Driver - Makita bits..

While I don't agree with the notion that better bits will necessarily
last longer when using an impact driver, I do think that a lot of
bundled Makita and DeWalt bits are of quite poor quality.

What would you recommend?

I have several sets of Wera bits, and have been very impressed with
them, they seem to last a very long time.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100189&ts=00698&id=66586

I have had these shatter on me using a drill/driver.

Now why doesn't that surprise me ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
"Grunff" wrote in message
.. .
RzB wrote:
Hmmm - perhaps -

The bits came with the Driver - Makita bits..

While I don't agree with the notion that better bits will necessarily
last longer when using an impact driver, I do think that a lot of
bundled Makita and DeWalt bits are of quite poor quality.

What would you recommend?

I have several sets of Wera bits, and have been very impressed with
them, they seem to last a very long time.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100189&ts=00698&id=66586

I have had these shatter on me using a drill/driver.

Now why doesn't that surprise me ?

So it has happend to you as well Maxie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 23:43:07 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , RzB
writes
Just as a sort of reminder to all...

I recently purchased a Makita 6980 FD
Cordless Impact Driver. It really is a
super bit of kit.. However.. a small safety
warning....

I have had two screwdriver tips shatter ..
The last bit broke off and hit the
face mask I was thankfully wearing
traveling a some speed.

It doesn't look like a very speedy face mask, and I can't see any damage
to it

Looks like there's a ding on it near the right corner as you look at
the photo.

See photos here...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/odds/impact

Cheap bits?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

"raden" wrote in message

= clip

A) not top posting and

Ooo yes - apols... It comes from decades of
doing emails that way round at work!!
Sometimes I forget!!!

B) stick to No More Nails

:-)

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

You should by better bits then.

That will make is rather mor likely than less I would expect - better
bits tend to be harder. I have had Wiha diamond pozi bits shatter in my
18V combi before now.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

-- snip

Having said that, I wonder whether using Pozidriv screws is a good
idea with an impact driver anyway. Cam out is a problem with them at
the best of times and nurges the bit as well. From the photo, it
looks as though that had been happening before the bit broke.
Adding impact driving to the mix makes the effect worse.

Yes - I think I agree - Posidrive + Impact driver probably not a good idea.

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 18:35:21 -0000, "RzB" wrote:

|"Andy Hall" wrote in message

|-- snip

| Having said that, I wonder whether using Pozidriv screws is a good
| idea with an impact driver anyway. Cam out is a problem with them at
| the best of times and nurges the bit as well. From the photo, it
| looks as though that had been happening before the bit broke.
| Adding impact driving to the mix makes the effect worse.
|

|Yes - I think I agree - Posidrive + Impact driver probably not a good idea.

Definitely Posidrives need a nice even torque, just enough to drive them
in.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Andy Hall wrote:
Having said that, I wonder whether using Pozidriv screws is a good
idea with an impact driver anyway. Cam out is a problem with them at
the best of times and nurges the bit as well.

'Nurges'? Is this a technical term I'm unfamiliar with?

:-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 20:07:36 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
Having said that, I wonder whether using Pozidriv screws is a good
idea with an impact driver anyway. Cam out is a problem with them at
the best of times and nurges the bit as well.

'Nurges'? Is this a technical term I'm unfamiliar with?

:-)

It's a word I've always used (as in nurged up) for things like
stripped or crossed threads, cammed out screws that can no longer be
driven either way, basically anything where there has been some
mechanical effect that prevents the item from being put in or taken
out.

Another typical example is where you change a float valve for one with
a plastic thread. The right way to do this is to get the nut of the
tap connector on with the back nut that holds it onto the tank/cistern
loose. If you do it the other way, Sod's law dictates tha tthe
plumbing won't be well enough aligned and the tap connector nut will
go on cross threaded. There is more than an even chance, if you are
heavy handed, that the thread of the valve will be nurged up.

The effect can be compounded of course because typically then
something heavy/rough/risky is going to have to be used to get the
thing out or put it all the way in

This is a usefully inoccuous expression that you can use in the
presence of elderly spinsters when you are fixing their plumbing and
something bad happens. Of course, they might ask you whether you
f*cked it up, but then at least you know where you are. :-)

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Andy Hall wrote:

It's a word I've always used (as in nurged up) for things like
stripped or crossed threads, cammed out screws that can no longer be
driven either way, basically anything where there has been some
mechanical effect that prevents the item from being put in or taken
out.

Like it! Nurged up - great!

I've always liked the phrase 'sexualy exhausted' myself, that and FUBERed
:-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , RzB
wrote:

What would you recommend?

That you post the right way up and trim to context.

--
AJL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ooo yes - apols... It comes from decades of
doing emails that way round at work!!
Sometimes I forget!!!

But why on earth would you send email backwards either? Try a little
experiment, look back in your email folders about 6 months. Select any email
at random and see how long it takes you to work out what it is all about.
Not easy is it, all that scrolling up and down, trying to discover who said
what and when?

--
AJL
Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message

--- snip
But why on earth would you send email backwards either? Try a little
experiment, look back in your email folders about 6 months. Select any
email
at random and see how long it takes you to work out what it is all about.
Not easy is it, all that scrolling up and down, trying to discover who
said
what and when?

--
AJL

Ahh - now I actually agree with you. Unfortunately the...
"If it's at the top then you can see the latest information in front of you
etc."
brigade won at the company I worked at.

Anyway - I repeat - "Apologies" and I'll try much harder in future :-)
Hopefully we won't have hundreds more posts on the pros and cons !

Roy

PS. Do you draw your memory maps with zero at the top or bottom?
No, no - lets not go there... :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

RzB wrote:

I have had two screwdriver tips shatter ..
The last bit broke off and hit the
face mask I was thankfully wearing
traveling a some speed.

Forgive my stupidity, but from the subject line and post content, I get
the impression the screwdriver bit is being used with an "impact" setting.

From my years long gone by, an impact driver was a fat bodied
mechanical device operated by a sharp blow with a lump hammer. The only
things used in an "impact wrench" (CP Air tools) were 6 sided impact
sockets.

I can't see why there would ever be a requirement to use an impact
setting on a screw. All sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Can someone enlighten me.

.......... on reflection.... I have a vague recollection of stuffing a
cross-head screwdriver into a 12 sided socket used on said air wrench to
fit new bed-boards to a lorry, though this was purely due to lack of
cordless driver technology in those days.

TIA
Pete

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

From my years long gone by, an impact driver was a fat bodied
mechanical device operated by a sharp blow with a lump hammer.

Yes, this is an impact driver:

But more recently, these have become known as impact drivers too:

It's basically a battery powered, rechargeable version on an impact wrench.

The reason they're used for screwdriving is because they can deliver
huge torque (albeit pulsed) compared to the same size/weight cordless
drill/driver.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

""Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"" wrote

-- snip

Can someone enlighten me.

-- snip

TIA
Pete

http://tinyurl.com/obfj3

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Grunff wrote:

The reason they're used for screwdriving is because they can deliver
huge torque (albeit pulsed) compared to the same size/weight cordless
drill/driver.

My query though is, if a regular screw (philips/pozi etc) needs more
torque than can be applied by a regular combi/cordless driver there is
surely something wrong.

Looking on t'internet I see a benefit for driving coach bolts etc but
not regular screws.

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

RzB wrote:
Nothing

As informative and knowledgeable as ever I see RzB.
Your input is most beneficial.

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Pet wrote:
I can't see why there would ever be a requirement to use an impact
setting on a screw. All sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Can someone enlighten me.

Oh no, not again, it's only just been bitched about by the few.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Pet wrote:
My query though is, if a regular screw (philips/pozi etc) needs more
torque than can be applied by a regular combi/cordless driver there is
surely something wrong.

I agree.

Looking on t'internet I see a benefit for driving coach bolts etc but
not regular screws.

Why? Coach bolts will shear, too...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Chris Bacon wrote:

Oh no, not again, it's only just been bitched about by the few.

Must have missed that one.
:¬)

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Chris Bacon wrote:

Looking on t'internet I see a benefit for driving coach bolts etc but
not regular screws.

Why? Coach bolts will shear, too...

Would they?

The ones I have seen have a taperd shank, so as the bolt goes deeper,
the rqd. torque increases but the shank is thicker and will handle
increased loads.

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are four benefits, such that since buying an 12v elu off ebay
three years ago I would never (unless stuck up a ladder with a
drill/driver) choose to drive a screw with either of my cordless drills
(14.4v and 18v). First advantage is more power for really big screws
or coachbolts, or just more speed with any else. The second is that
the impulsed nature of the power means that there is no torque
reaction, so it doesn't try to twist your wrist off no matter how hard
it is working. The third is that you don't get cam-out, ever -
although it does eat bits, especially rubbish ones, I've never had one
explode like the OP. The fourth is that it is far far more
controllable, so you can guage the speed and depth to which you are
driving much more accurately.

I can't see how anyone who has ever actually used one could not
recognise that they are utterly superior for driving screws - the
difference is night and day.

Sorry if this posting is munged - using google while I find an
alternative newsfeed thanks to my ISP terminating its provision.