Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Safety Warning - Impact Drivers

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 18:49:49 -0000, "RzB"
wrote:

Just as a sort of reminder to all...

I recently purchased a Makita 6980 FD
Cordless Impact Driver. It really is a
super bit of kit.. However.. a small safety
warning....

I have had two screwdriver tips shatter ..
The last bit broke off and hit the
face mask I was thankfully wearing
traveling a some speed.

See photos here...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/odds/impact

Roy

Unfortunately Makita, Bosch and DeWalt all supply pretty mediochre
bits in their tool bundles. Rather stupid really because they let
down what are otherwise excellent tools.

The only screwdriver/drill manufacturer that I have found who does
supply good quality bits with tools and separately is Festool.

In terms of good quality screwdriver bits, I tend to use products
made by Wera and Wiha.

Having said that, I wonder whether using Pozidriv screws is a good
idea with an impact driver anyway. Cam out is a problem with them at
the best of times and nurges the bit as well. From the photo, it
looks as though that had been happening before the bit broke.
Adding impact driving to the mix makes the effect worse.

Generally Torx screws and bits seem to work a lot better from the
perspective of avoiding camout. I tend to use them for most
purposes now, although I haven't tried them for impact use. Might be
worth a try.

Matt, what impact driver do you have to try it out on?