Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question: Impact Drivers

Okay, I know the purpose of an impact wrench for automotive work. (I have
several). I also know the purpose of a Hammer-Drill, own one small and one
large one of those also.

What is the purpose of an "impact driver"? Are you guys driving screws with
an impact driver? (I use my 18 volt Lithium-Ion screw gun). Do impact
drivers make the job easier compared to a screw gun? Is this something I
should buy myself for father's day?

Please educate me.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 12, 11:33*pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Okay, I know the purpose of an impact wrench for automotive work. *(I have
several). *I also know the purpose of a Hammer-Drill, own one small and one
large one of those also.

What is the purpose of an "impact driver"? *Are you guys driving screws with
an impact driver? *(I use my 18 volt Lithium-Ion screw gun). *Do impact
drivers make the job easier compared to a screw gun? *Is this something I
should buy myself for father's day?

YES. Shouting intentional. I won't go into the details, but you
won't regret it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:33:40 -0700, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

Okay, I know the purpose of an impact wrench for automotive work. (I have
several). I also know the purpose of a Hammer-Drill, own one small and one
large one of those also.

What is the purpose of an "impact driver"? Are you guys driving screws with
an impact driver? (I use my 18 volt Lithium-Ion screw gun). Do impact
drivers make the job easier compared to a screw gun? Is this something I
should buy myself for father's day?

The impact screwdriver doesn't strip heads but drives screws like they're
going into butter. I have a 12V Bosch "Impactor" and love it. I use the
Impactor and it's brother (3/8" drill) on just about every project I do. It's
definitely a good father's day present, even if you do have to buy it for
yourself. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Okay, I know the purpose of an impact wrench for automotive work. (I have
several). I also know the purpose of a Hammer-Drill, own one small and one
large one of those also.

What is the purpose of an "impact driver"? Are you guys driving screws with
an impact driver? (I use my 18 volt Lithium-Ion screw gun). Do impact
drivers make the job easier compared to a screw gun? Is this something I
should buy myself for father's day?

The impact screwdriver doesn't strip heads but drives screws like they're
going into butter. I have a 12V Bosch "Impactor" and love it. I use the
Impactor and it's brother (3/8" drill) on just about every project I do. It's
definitely a good father's day present, even if you do have to buy it for
yourself. ;-)

Oh, one more thing it's good for; driving sheetrock screws. I had a small
repair this week (dumbass builder put a shelf "nail" through a drain line) and
used the IMpactor to drive the sheetrock screws. It drives them with
authority, but slow enough at the end that dimpling the paper was easy without
driving them through it. Buy it. You won't regret the purchase.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in
:

Okay, I know the purpose of an impact wrench for automotive work. (I
have several). I also know the purpose of a Hammer-Drill, own one
small and one large one of those also.

What is the purpose of an "impact driver"? Are you guys driving
screws with an impact driver? (I use my 18 volt Lithium-Ion screw
gun). Do impact drivers make the job easier compared to a screw gun?
Is this something I should buy myself for father's day?

Please educate me.

Ivan Vegvary

Buy one and start using it for driving screws. You'll quickly find out
it's a better way. I've put in a 5# box worth of screws with a Phillips
head and have stripped maybe 5 of the heads. Since the impact force
pushes the bit into the screw, it's much less likely to strip out. Mine
doesn't begin impacting until a certain torque level is reached, which is
just about the time you really need it.

I've had several occasions where the impact driver has pulled boards
tight using fully threaded screws. It sure makes things easy.

If you can, get one that uses the same batteries as your drill/driver.
You'll probably wind up chucking a drill bit in the drill and a
screwdriver bit in the impact. One will inevitably die first, but you
can finish the project with the other.

If you're doing work where space is tight, the impact drivers usually
have a smaller size and will fit where the drill/drivers will not.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 13, 6:51*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote :

[...]

Everything said previously, plus I think my Makita 14.4 gets quite a
few more screws driven per battery charge than its companion drill
motor. It is also easier to control in softer material (but it will
drive a screw completely through a piece of 3/4" cedar in a heartbeat
if you go to sleep using it.)

I have built 230' of fence and two decks with mine, plus day to day
use and it is the driving tool of choice. But it will snap a concrete
screw easily.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Unbelievable difference, Ivan!

I haven't used either of my DeWalt 18V VSR battery drills for
driving screws since I bought the impact. It will walk Tapcons
into hard concrete with no worry about stripping the Philips tip
or screw head. 3 1/2" deck screws are a piece of cake.

--
DanG