Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ok, gonna show my ignorance here

Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to have to
ask this. If I have a hole I want to line with felt, what is the formula
for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

--
Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul wrote:
Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to
have to ask this. If I have a hole I want to line with felt, what is
the formula for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

If memory serves me right.......

c=(pi)x d or 3.14 x dia.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/11 2:30 PM, Norvin Gordon wrote:
Paul wrote:
Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to
have to ask this. If I have a hole I want to line with felt, what is
the formula for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

If memory serves me right.......

c=(pi)x d or 3.14 x dia.

I always remember the difference between circumference and area by
thinking of the Ty-D-Bol Man. The Ty-D-Bol Man goes around the bowl
(circumference).
Ty-D rhymes with Pi(d)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Paul" wrote in message
Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to have
to ask this. If I have a hole I want to line with felt, what is the
formula for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

Felt has thickness, so technically, the calc of the hole won't be correck,
altho the diff could be negligible.

Another way to get a perfect fit with no calc at all is to cut it a bit
long, wrap it on the hole, and just cut the overlap (winding up with two
drops), for a perfect fit.
--
EA

--
Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul wrote:
Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to
have to ask this. If I have a hole I want to line with felt, what is
the formula for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

If memory serves me right.......

c=(pi)x d or 3.14 x dia.

I always remember the difference between circumference and area by
thinking of the Ty-D-Bol Man. The Ty-D-Bol Man goes around the bowl
(circumference).
Ty-D rhymes with Pi(d)

If you remember that there are 2*Pi radians in a circle,
it also gives you C=2(Pi)r, or C=(Pi)d.

If you've had calculus, thinking of the area of the circle as the
collection of "skins" having thickness dr, you can integrate C dr over
the interval [0,R] to get A=Pi R^2. At least, that's one way. I just
mention this for the readers that are math fans.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul wrote:
Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to
have to ask this. If I have a hole I want to line with felt, what is
the formula for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

If memory serves me right.......

c=(pi)x d or 3.14 x dia.

I always remember the difference between circumference and area by
thinking of the Ty-D-Bol Man. *The Ty-D-Bol Man goes around the bowl
(circumference).
Ty-D rhymes with Pi(d)

Did you know they eventually, after pleading and begging, put lemon in
the Ty-D-Bowl, mon....? *cue some steel drums, mon*

Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul wrote:
Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to
have to ask this. If I have a hole I want to line with felt, what is
the formula for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

If memory serves me right.......

c=(pi)x d or 3.14 x dia.

I always remember the difference between circumference and area by
thinking of the Ty-D-Bol Man. The Ty-D-Bol Man goes around the bowl
(circumference).
Ty-D rhymes with Pi(d)

If you remember that there are 2*Pi radians in a circle,
it also gives you C=2(Pi)r, or C=(Pi)d.

If you've had calculus, thinking of the area of the circle as the
collection of "skins" having thickness dr, you can integrate C dr over
the interval [0,R] to get A=Pi R^2. At least, that's one way. I just
mention this for the readers that are math fans.

Bill

A poor farmer worked long and hard to send his eldest son to college. He
looked forward to saying with pride that the family finally had their
first college graduate. Son grew up, went off to college. His father
continued working hard to pay the tuition.
Four years later, son came home with a diploma. Excited to know what the
son had learned, his father asked him to tell him something.
Son replied "Pi r2," which the father heard as "pie are squared."
Shocked and angered, the poor old father tore his straw hat off his head
in disgust, threw it onto the ground and yelled at his son: "You
dingbat! Pie are ROUND...cornbread are square!"

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

Did you know they eventually, after pleading and begging, put lemon in
the Ty-D-Bowl, mon....? *cue some steel drums, mon*- Hide quoted text -

2 pi lemons are round. 2 lemon pis are round.

I learnt that on the farm!

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 12, 3:22*pm, "Paul" wrote:
Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to have to
ask this. If I have a *hole I want to line with felt, what is the formula
for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

--
Paul O.

Are you saying you never felt the inside of a hole?

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul wrote:
Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to
have to ask this. If I have a hole I want to line with felt, what is
the formula for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

If memory serves me right.......

c=(pi)x d or 3.14 x dia.

I always remember the difference between circumference and area by
thinking of the Ty-D-Bol Man. The Ty-D-Bol Man goes around the bowl
(circumference).
Ty-D rhymes with Pi(d)

If you remember that there are 2*Pi radians in a circle,
it also gives you C=2(Pi)r, or C=(Pi)d.

If you've had calculus, thinking of the area of the circle as the
collection of "skins" having thickness dr, you can integrate C dr over
the interval [0,R] to get A=Pi R^2. At least, that's one way. I just
mention this for the readers that are math fans.

Bill

What does that have to do with a toilet?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 12, 4:48*pm, marc rosen wrote:
On Jul 12, 3:22*pm, "Paul" wrote:

Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to have to
ask this. If I have a *hole I want to line with felt, what is the formula
for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

--
Paul O.

Are you saying you never felt the inside of a hole?

Marc

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling this thread just went
off the rails.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/2011 5:18 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 12, 4:48 pm, marc wrote:
On Jul 12, 3:22 pm, wrote:

Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to have to
ask this. If I have a hole I want to line with felt, what is the formula
for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

--
Paul O.

Are you saying you never felt the inside of a hole?

Marc

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling this thread just went
off the rails.

I think you are right, but when the question was asked the direction was
inevitable.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 12, 4:48 pm, marc *wrote:
On Jul 12, 3:22 pm, *wrote:

Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to have to
ask this. If I have a *hole I want to line with felt, what is the formula
for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

--
Paul O.

Are you saying you never felt the inside of a hole?

Marc

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling this thread just went
off the rails.

I think you are right, but when the question was asked the direction was
inevitable.

It does make you wonder what he is making..........
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to have
to ask this. If I have a hole I want to line with felt, what is the
formula for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

Felt has thickness, so technically, the calc of the hole won't be correck,
altho the diff could be negligible.

Well technically the thickness of the felt has noting to do with the
calculation. He wants to line the hole with felt. That distance is
what you will need to use to cut the felt. If he cuts the felt longer
than the perimeter of the hole it will not lay flat. If he cuts the
felt shorter than the perimeter of the hole it will be too short. The
only length that is important is the surface. Felt thickness will compress.

Another way to get a perfect fit with no calc at all is to cut it a bit
long, wrap it on the hole, and just cut the overlap (winding up with two
drops), for a perfect fit.

What if the hole is 1/2" in diameter or smaller?

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Paul wrote:
[...]

I was just offering another mnemonic device... I have nothing against
toilets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote the following:
wrote in message
Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to
have
to ask this. If I have a hole I want to line with felt, what is the
formula for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

Felt has thickness, so technically, the calc of the hole won't be
correck,
altho the diff could be negligible.

Well technically the thickness of the felt has noting to do with the
calculation. He wants to line the hole with felt. That distance is
what you will need to use to cut the felt. If he cuts the felt longer
than the perimeter of the hole it will not lay flat. If he cuts the
felt shorter than the perimeter of the hole it will be too short. The
only length that is important is the surface. Felt thickness will
compress.

If - he measures the inside diameter and uses the formula for the inside
circumference to get the length of the felt.

Another way to get a perfect fit with no calc at all is to cut it a bit
long, wrap it on the hole, and just cut the overlap (winding up with two
drops), for a perfect fit.

What if the hole is 1/2" in diameter or smaller?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote the following:
-MIKE- wrote:
Paul wrote:
[...]

except your ass. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote:
Bill wrote the following:
-MIKE- wrote:
Paul wrote:
[...]

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to put some felt on my toilet...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote the following:
willshak wrote:
Bill wrote the following:
-MIKE- wrote:
Paul wrote:
[...]

Don't they still make those soft padded toilet seat covers?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote:
Bill wrote the following:
willshak wrote:
Bill wrote the following:
-MIKE- wrote:
Paul wrote:
[...]

Yeah, you mean the ones that keep the seat from staying up...lol

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/11 5:25 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
Paul wrote:
[...]

Well, I should hope not. After all they've done for us.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
wrote in message
Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to
have
to ask this. If I have a hole I want to line with felt, what is the
formula for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

Felt has thickness, so technically, the calc of the hole won't be
correck,
altho the diff could be negligible.

Well technically the thickness of the felt has noting to do with the
calculation. He wants to line the hole with felt. That distance is what
you will need to use to cut the felt. If he cuts the felt longer than the
perimeter of the hole it will not lay flat. If he cuts the felt shorter
than the perimeter of the hole it will be too short. The only length that
is important is the surface. Felt thickness will compress.

Yeah, but if you cut it long, and then razor it as it lines the hole, the
fit will be exact -- incl. the angle of the "wall" of the felt, if it were
substantial, would also be angularly correct! You could actually glue the
overly-long felt in the hole, making the cut very easy to coordinate.

Also, the cut doesn't have to be at all straight, bec the ends of the felt
are overlapping, and will match no matter how sloppy the cut -- as long as
the cutting knife catches both overlapped pieces. In fact, one could arger
against a perfectly straight cut, and could even do a kind of "toilet roll
tube spiral" -- depending on what's going in the hole, etc.

For one-offs, this cut'n'match is proly the preferred way. It of course
would not be efficient for production jobs.
--
EA

Another way to get a perfect fit with no calc at all is to cut it a bit
long, wrap it on the hole, and just cut the overlap (winding up with two
drops), for a perfect fit.

What if the hole is 1/2" in diameter or smaller?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-07-12 16:32:46 -0400, willshak said:

A poor farmer worked long and hard to send his eldest son to college.

On the proud day he delivered the boy to the campus, he said to the
math professor, "Make sure he gets some of that there triggernometry.
He can't shoot worth a damn!"

Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul O.
On Jul 12, 3:22 pm, "Paul" wrote:

Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to
have to
ask this. If I have a hole I want to line with felt, what is the formula
for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

--
Paul O.

Are you saying you never felt the inside of a hole?

Marc

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling this thread just went
off the rails.

I think a couple times along the way. LOL! But thanks guys., a good read.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:45:37 -0400, Bill wrote:

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to put some felt on my toilet...

"MOM! Bill's feeling up the toilet again!"

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

You are not incorrect but for the fun of supposing, the OP is wanting to
line a hole with felt. When does a hole transform into a larger
opening? ;~) When I read hole, I pictred a drill bit hole, 1/4"~1/2"
in diameter. Perhaps you pictured a 4",5",6"+ diameter hole. LOL. I
tried to picture putting felt inside a 1/2" diameter hole, and also some
how forcing a razor inside the hole. ;~)

Also, the cut doesn't have to be at all straight, bec the ends of the felt
are overlapping, and will match no matter how sloppy the cut -- as long as
the cutting knife catches both overlapped pieces. In fact, one could arger
against a perfectly straight cut, and could even do a kind of "toilet roll
tube spiral" -- depending on what's going in the hole, etc.

For one-offs, this cut'n'match is proly the preferred way. It of course
would not be efficient for production jobs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

You are not incorrect but for the fun of supposing, the OP is wanting to
line a hole with felt. When does a hole transform into a larger
opening? ;~) When I read hole, I pictred a drill bit hole, 1/4"~1/2"
in diameter. Perhaps you pictured a 4",5",6"+ diameter hole. LOL. I
tried to picture putting felt inside a 1/2" diameter hole, and also some
how forcing a razor inside the hole. ;~)

Prezactly.
And why has everyone assumed the hole is round?
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

Artemus wrote the following:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

You are not incorrect but for the fun of supposing, the OP is wanting to
line a hole with felt. When does a hole transform into a larger
opening? ;~) When I read hole, I pictred a drill bit hole, 1/4"~1/2"
in diameter. Perhaps you pictured a 4",5",6"+ diameter hole. LOL. I
tried to picture putting felt inside a 1/2" diameter hole, and also some
how forcing a razor inside the hole. ;~)

Prezactly.
And why has everyone assumed the hole is round?
Art

because he asked for the formula. If a rectangle, or triangle, all that
is needed is a tape measure.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

"willshak" wrote in message
Artemus wrote the following:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

You are not incorrect but for the fun of supposing, the OP is wanting to
line a hole with felt. When does a hole transform into a larger
opening? ;~) When I read hole, I pictred a drill bit hole, 1/4"~1/2"
in diameter. Perhaps you pictured a 4",5",6"+ diameter hole. LOL. I
tried to picture putting felt inside a 1/2" diameter hole, and also some
how forcing a razor inside the hole. ;~)

Prezactly.
And why has everyone assumed the hole is round?
Art

because he asked for the formula. If a rectangle, or triangle, all that
is needed is a tape measure.

--

Bill

Another unfounded assumption.
It could be an oval.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2011 2:42 PM, Artemus wrote:
"Leon"lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

You are not incorrect but for the fun of supposing, the OP is wanting to
line a hole with felt. When does a hole transform into a larger
opening? ;~) When I read hole, I pictred a drill bit hole, 1/4"~1/2"
in diameter. Perhaps you pictured a 4",5",6"+ diameter hole. LOL. I
tried to picture putting felt inside a 1/2" diameter hole, and also some
how forcing a razor inside the hole. ;~)

Prezactly.
And why has everyone assumed the hole is round?
Art

We were all hungry and thinking about pie. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2011 3:54 PM, Artemus wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

OR it could be 45379 and three and one half sixteenths sided. ;~O
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

QUICK, HIT THE 'CONVERT TO CURVES' KEY COMBO!

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

Pretty much what I was going to say....