Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hand tool woodworkers?

Mike,
Roy Underhill is his name and his show is still on. Actually, it was recently picked up for another two years thanks to the sponsorship of State Farm.

And yes, I did mean non-powered tools; I just like the sound of hand-tools better

Andy
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/6/2011 6:33 PM, Andy wrote:
Mike,
Roy Underhill is his name and his show is still on. Actually, it was recently picked up for another two years thanks to the sponsorship of State Farm.

And yes, I did mean non-powered tools; I just like the sound of hand-tools better

I like power tools. Sometimes I think the main reason I make stuff is
just an excuse to use my equipment. I would rather spend two minutes
walking down to my shop to get my battery powered drill/driver than 1
minute screwing in 5 screws by hand.

Nothing against the neanderthals though, more power to them, no pun
intended...

I've watched Roy Underhill many times, and spend most of my time shaking
my head at him... why? Still, I respect the heck out of him, one crazy
ass dude!

About the only hand tool I appreciate is my planes. A super sharp,
super tuned plane is sweet, but still, I love my 3hp, segmented spiral
head planer even more. Definition of sweet.

--
Jack
An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
Jack Stein writes:

I've watched Roy Underhill many times, and spend most of my time shaking
my head at him... why? Still, I respect the heck out of him, one crazy
ass dude!

I get the impression that a lot of people don't understand the "why"
because they look at The Woodwright's Shop as a woodworking show
and Roy as a wood worker.

Of course, it is and he is, but Roy is much moreso a history teacher.
Perhaps people don't notice that because e doesn't make it dull.
But that's how the good teachers are.

Of course, he's also a great woodworking teacher.

That's why I try to avoid using his show as the basis for comparison
for others (like Tommy Mac's show). It is hard to compete with a
likeable teacher who is good at his job and has decades of experience
at it.

--
Drew Lawson
"Please understand that we are considerably less interested