Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hand tool woodworkers?

I have recently made the transition from power tools to all hand tools, so at this point I am just working on small projects (boxes, shop applicances, a jewelry tree for my wife, etc.) to improve my hand tool skills. I haven't used a single electron in over a year (except for household chores), and I'm really enjoying the experience. At this point I use hand planes to get all wood to flat and square then start on joinery with chisels, hand saws, and whatever else I need.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that most woodworkers don't use any hand tools, but instead that many lean more toward power tools for the bulk of their work. I think everybody has to decide on the balance between power tools and hand tools for themselves, but for me I am trying to do as little with power as possible.

What do you build, and what applications do you use power tools for?

Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

Sawmill creek has a "Neanderthal Haven" forum loaded with
neanderthals. A lot of knowledgeable people frequent the group.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdis...nderthal-Haven

Part of the neander way is making tools, so check out the recent
thread where people submitted photos of the tools they made.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...de-by-the-user.

You need to register to see the pic however.

Mitch

Posted to rec.woodworking

MB wrote:

Sawmill creek has a "Neanderthal Haven" forum loaded with
neanderthals. A lot of knowledgeable people frequent the group.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdis...nderthal-Haven

Part of the neander way is making tools, so check out the recent
thread where people submitted photos of the tools they made.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...de-by-the-user.

You need to register to see the pic however.

Mitch

I second Mitch's suggestion of sawmillcreek. I've seen a couple of
nice threads tracing an entire build there. Nice. And some of the
folks there do really high-end primarily hand-tool work.

Wood Central also has a nice hand-tool discussion group.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/handtools.pl