Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hand tool woodworkers?

Are there any hand-tool-only or mostly hand tool woodworkers out there? I love the idea of a woodworking group, but since I only use hand tools, lots of these topics aren't really of much interest to me. I was thinking of using this topic to start that conversation, or I could start a new group if there is interest.

Thanks,
Andy
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 6, 1:18*pm, Andy wrote:

Are there any hand-tool-only or mostly hand tool woodworkers out there? *I love the idea of a woodworking group, but since I only use hand tools, lots of these topics aren't really of much interest to me. *I was thinking of using this topic to start that conversation, or I could start a new group if there is interest.

Most everyone uses a combination of tools. I don't know anyone who
doesn't use any hand tools. But you're right in that there's a
preponderance of posts in this newsgroup with power solutions to
woodworking.

I was a mostly power tool user and have been drifting to mostly hand
for some years now, with the notable exception of my dalliance with
Festool stuff. I consider this to be an acceptable cheat. What sort
of stuff do you do?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Do you mean non powered tools? Check PBS for a guy that builds
everything with non-powered tools. I wish I could remember the name of
the show.

Mike in Ohio

On 07/06/2011 01:18 PM, Andy wrote:
Are there any hand-tool-only or mostly hand tool woodworkers out there? I love the idea of a woodworking group, but since I only use hand tools, lots of these topics aren't really of much interest to me. I was thinking of using this topic to start that conversation, or I could start a new group if there is interest.

Thanks,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 18:14:15 -0400, Michael Kenefick
wrote:

Do you mean non powered tools? Check PBS for a guy that builds
everything with non-powered tools. I wish I could remember the name of
the show.

Mike in Ohio

On 07/06/2011 01:18 PM, Andy wrote:
Are there any hand-tool-only or mostly hand tool woodworkers out there? I love the idea of a woodworking group, but since I only use hand tools, lots of these topics aren't really of much interest to me. I was thinking of using this topic to start that conversation, or I could start a new group if there is interest.

Thanks,
Andy

Roy Underhill, "The Woodwright's Shop" on PBS.

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/6/2011 5:21 PM, Nova wrote:

Roy Underhill, "The Woodwright's Shop" on PBS.

He of the many bandages...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 20:24:13 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/6/2011 5:21 PM, Nova wrote:

Roy Underhill, "The Woodwright's Shop" on PBS.

He of the many bandages...

Lord Roy of the Many Bandages.
One for each ten thousand strokes of a hand tool.
Life is a risk.

Galoots, UNITE!

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.woodworking

I just got back from a week long hand work / hand tools class at Marc Adams
School of Woodworking in Indiana taught by Chris Schwarz. It was an amazing
week of learning to sharpen all sorts of blades properly (sharp fixes
everything,praticing basic hand work skills including sawing boards
(straight and true to a line), straightening / squaring boards with hand
planes, cutting rabbets, dados, and dovetails all by hand. It was an
amazing week with an amazing teacher - especially to see him hand cut
dovetails and have them fit perfectly the 1st time without touch up /
trimming and other adjusting. I'm also a firm believer in a hand router
after trimming a hairs thickness shaving off a tenon to get it to fit
perfectly in a mortice. Check out:
the school: www.marcadams.com
Chris's blog / videos of the class on
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...s-schwarz-blog
and Chris's website: www.lostartpress.com
if you want more details post a message with an email and we'll continue
this privately.

Andy wrote in
.
com: