Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Entertainment center - more progress

"Han" wrote in message
Doors are dryfitted and put into entertainment center bookcase for display
to friends today.
On Flickr:
http://tinyurl.com/3hf96rh

I like the panels and might steal the idea for something else!!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message
Doors are dryfitted and put into entertainment center bookcase for
display to friends today.
On Flickr:
http://tinyurl.com/3hf96rh

I like the panels and might steal the idea for something else!!

Thanks, Lobby! I got the idea from Fine Wood Working, an article on
alternatives to the traditional raised door panel in the August 2010
issue (#211) on pages 48 and following.

I didn't use their method for weaving, and I used iron-on veneer edging
(maple and walnut). With the design assistance of Afina, we decided on 3
vertical strips (middle maple, left and right walnut), which I ironed
onto a "framelet" of little strips sort of free hand. Then I tightly
wove the horizontal strips (4 walnut, rest maple as shown at
http://tinyurl.com/3hf96rh), and ironed them onto the framelet, shown
in the last photo. I had attached the framelet to a temporary hardboard
support.

I am in the process of finishing the doors now, and must remark,that
there are 2 slight difficulties:

The first is that the woven veneer edging strips still have a curling
tendency (I didn't think a flat support as recommended in FWW would be
necessary - the younger grandkids will prove me right or wrong). So I
need to stretch them somehow. Either by using a tensioning strip on the
back, or by gluing the framelet into the real door frame.
(COMMENTS will be appreciated, because I don't know whether this setup
has expansion/contraction problems).

The second is that next time I'll likely finish the veneer strips before
mounting. Now the wiping of BLO, then shellac and soon poly is a pain
because I have to get under the top strip where they cross. I don't know
how prefinishing would affect the ironing/gluing of the strips.

Still in progress ...
--
Best regards
Han