Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Custom windows

I need to replace some old sliding windows in my home and thought I
may just build a single, fixed unit that is 35 x 53. Hopefully, with a
better quality glass -- maybe even double insulated etc.

I would imagine (depending on the glass) that I'll need some sort of
reinforcement from the frame in the middle of the window as well.

I was wondering if you can buy a premade frame material that you can
cut to size and simply attach the glass?

Like a picture frame kit for example.

Is there anything like that on the market?

Not that I couldn't do all the joints myself etc. -- but a time saver
would be nice.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Would you happen to conveniently be somewhat near Lafayette, La.? A
few years ago, I salvaged quite a few sash units and have them stashed
in the back of the shop. I'd give you one or 2. All are relatively
recent modeled high-end Kolbe & Kolbe custom made units. Some are
double paned/insulated, some single panes, different sizes, few half
round transom-like, i.e., an assortment. I probably have 30 units of
varying sizes, small to 5' X 6', multi-light and single light.... just
a bunch of them stashed away. They were free, so I got while the
getting was good. There are a few (double paned) with the vaccuum
seal compromised (excellent for someone's camp, shop, or the like),
but most of them are in good shape for home application.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

mkr5000 wrote:

I need to replace some old sliding windows in my home and thought I
may just build a single, fixed unit that is 35 x 53. Hopefully, with a
better quality glass -- maybe even double insulated etc.

I would imagine (depending on the glass) that I'll need some sort of
reinforcement from the frame in the middle of the window as well.

I was wondering if you can buy a premade frame material that you can
cut to size and simply attach the glass?

Like a picture frame kit for example.

Is there anything like that on the market?

Not that I couldn't do all the joints myself etc. -- but a time saver
would be nice.

Thanks.

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of building them yourself. But you can
get really really good quality double pane windows for a fairly cheap price
these days. Easy installation and look good. I doubt you can build them for
as cheap as you can buy them.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Is there anything like that on the market?

Not that I couldn't do all the joints myself etc. -- but a time saver
would be nice.

Thanks.

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of building them yourself. But you can
get really really good quality double pane windows for a fairly cheap price
these days. Easy installation and look good. I doubt you can build them for
as cheap as you can buy them.
Rich

Another point, in reference to Rich's reply: A purchased unit,
whether just the sash or the whole window unit (frame and all), will
come with a warranty. Top producers like JelWen, Pella, Kolbe, etc.
have good warranties, some up to 10 years and not just for the sash
unit.... the woodwork or vinyl or aluminum, the finish and/or the
cladding is warrantied, also.

I wouldn't think an individual can properly make a double paned,
vaccuum sealed, argon filled sash without special equipment.

A local window company should be able to make the sash or whole window
for you and have some kind of warranty, also. A local Pella, JelWen,
Kolbe, etc. rep/outlet can order either (sash or whole unit) for you.
Get prices vs making your own. Those folks will come out and measrue
for you, also, i.e., the burden of correctness is on them, but may be
dependent on proper installation by you! If you go this route, follow
installation instructions and, maybe, take pics during installation,
just in case.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

On 6/8/2011 8:13 AM, mkr5000 wrote:
I need to replace some old sliding windows in my home and thought I
may just build a single, fixed unit that is 35 x 53. Hopefully, with a
better quality glass -- maybe even double insulated etc.

I would imagine (depending on the glass) that I'll need some sort of
reinforcement from the frame in the middle of the window as well.

I was wondering if you can buy a premade frame material that you can
cut to size and simply attach the glass?

Like a picture frame kit for example.

Is there anything like that on the market?

Not that I couldn't do all the joints myself etc. -- but a time saver
would be nice.

Thanks.

Window openings are framed with a header to support the structure
above it. If what you are removing is one window unit, you will not
need any additional support. The new window unit should slide into the
old opening. A photo would help.

You will need to determine the size of the rough opening. Then shop
around for a good price.

If you want to build your own then go for it. People have been
building windows for hundreds of years. What's to stop you.

Others have advised against it but if you noticed, their reasoning was
based on what is the cheapest alternative. I find that to be strange
advice in a woodworking group. When someone wants to build a jewelry
box they are all over the place with advice how to build one but in
reality you could buy one in Walmart for the price of the hardware.
Dual standards?

You can get a single pane of glass cut any size you want. You can also
get dual or triple pane window units made any size. Just build a frame
to fit.

I made a sealed dual pane window twenty five years ago. I used two
sheets of glass and made the sealed unit myself. It's still in place
in my old house and has never leaked.

If you think you can do it youself then by all means do it. I built
the house I'm living in. All the interior woodwork is done with
sawmill lumber that most around here use for firewood, including the
cupboards. Bet some of those people would have advised against it.

LdB

Posted to rec.woodworking

LdB wrote:

[...]

Not sure thats what I wrote. Cheap is not what I was referring to. I have
never bought anything at Walmart and doubt I ever will. All I said was if
you buy am Andersen Window I doubt you will be able to create its finer
points in your shop. I would look at both alternatives before jumping in.

Rich

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 8, 8:13*am, mkr5000 wrote:
I need to replace some old sliding windows in my home and thought I
may just build a single, fixed unit that is 35 x 53. Hopefully, with a
better quality glass -- maybe even double insulated etc.

I would imagine (depending on the glass) that I'll need some sort of
reinforcement from the frame in the middle of the window as well.

I was wondering if you can buy a premade frame material that you can
cut to size and simply attach the glass?

Like a picture frame kit for example.

Is there anything like that on the market?

Not that I couldn't do all the joints myself etc. -- but a time saver
would be nice.

Thanks.

I hate to be a party-pooper but you are getting into a job that window
manufacturers know how to do; and they are set up and tooled to do
it.

I have installed some thermopanes to make simple unmovable cased solar
room windows and they leaked until I metal clad the exterior
surfaces. I have a friend who made some really neat trapezoidal
windows with exterior pine and interior hardwood for his new house.
Looked good for a year until they started leaking. In both cases
caulk was temporary because the glass gets quite hot around the rims.
You can buy metal clad windows with internal pine surfaces fairly
reasonably.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

If you want to make your own windows for asthetic reasons, such as style or
type of wood, go for it. I've seen some made with exotic wood species that
belong in a magazine they looked so good! If it's to save money . . . It's
hard to beat a company that already has the tooling and techniques ironed
out, plus you get a warranty.
Considering that asthetics are the goal.... Get the panes themselves made up
by a professional. That way you will get the modern coatings, the proper gas
filling (ussually argon), and a frame that will hold the panes together
properly to keep the inert gas intact. It is really important to the
efficiency of the total window. Then all you have to do is set them in the
frames and sash you made, and you will have the look you want, and the
advantage of a totally modern window system to a great extent.
Good luck with the project . . . I just had the window guy do mine, and they
look OK for what they are. I can see where a really nice wooden sash and
frame could have improved the overall job though. Post a photo of them when
your done . . . I'm still liable to canabalize my new windows and make nice
wooden frames.

--
Offered in the spirit of friendship and respect

Storm Windows on Aluminum Windows Greg Esres Home Repair 13 June 23rd 07 12:47 AM
Custom Walking Stick for a Custom Head. [email protected] Woodworking 7 November 8th 06 05:06 PM
Are Storm Windows a reasonable approach for newish vinyl windows? patrick conroy Home Repair 6 October 31st 05 12:11 AM
CUSTOM HEADBOARD J T Woodworking 1 August 29th 05 05:41 AM
Termopane windows or double windows? Walter R. Home Repair 1 July 17th 05 11:26 PM