Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Hey, a woodworking post!

Doug Winterburn wrote in
b.com:

On 06/07/2011 09:32 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 06:54:16 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

FTR Rich I don't think you are a DH. ;~) But, not every one is
going to be pleased no matter what I do.
BUT if you would like I would be happy to e-mail the pictures to
you, just let me know. They are not wonderful pictures and the
main reason I did not post them to Flickr which has my better
pictures.

Thats cool Leon. I always enjoy seeing your work and thats why I
asked. Thats obvious about not pleasing the masses. But this place
is getting a bit hostile lately.

Email
website
http://rentmyhusband.biz/

Actually my customer e-mailed me these pictures with a better camera
and lighting, so I added them to Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...-7215762299196
0362/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...-7215762299196
0362/lightbox/

Sweet! How do you like that style of Murphy hardware? Are they easy
to install? (How can they get nearly $300 for that?)

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim

Rockler has the hardware kit on sale for $249.

It's agood idea to look for sales and/or use a coupon for the hardware.
The instructions are indeed good, especially when you combine the printed
version with the video version. Do pay attention with the measuring,
though. I made 2 extra openings for the legs/handles because of incorect
measuring from the corners. Now covered up by blackboard inserts that
almost completely cover the front when in the "up" position (It was/is
for my 4 year-old grandson).

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 12:12:16 -0700, "CW"
wrote:

.. .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

Sweet! How do you like that style of Murphy hardware? Are they easy
to install? (How can they get nearly $300 for that?)

I have the hardware I just haven't built the bed yet. Once you look in the
box, the $300.00 price tag seems rather reasonable. The hardware package is
very complete and well made. The instructions are the best I have seen in a
long time.

Well, I've seen the nitrogen-charged shocks for hatchbacks going at
$25 a pop, and adding 4 brackets and 2 pivots doesn't seem to add up
to $300 to me, but I'm an awfully frugal SOB most of the time.

http://www.nextag.com/hatch-strut/products-html

complex brackets at $6.05 each
http://goo.gl/mNXRf

I guess they must be either green or medical, huh?

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I've seen the nitrogen-charged shocks for hatchbacks going at
$25 a pop, and adding 4 brackets and 2 pivots doesn't seem to add up
to $300 to me, but I'm an awfully frugal SOB most of the time.

http://www.nextag.com/hatch-strut/products-html

complex brackets at $6.05 each
http://goo.gl/mNXRf

I guess they must be either green or medical, huh?

List price, 64.00 they must be complex or made of platinum.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Well first off the kit comes with a rather complex and detailed set of
plans for the bed. There is a separate set of plans for both a particle
board construction and plywood construct bed.

Then there is a separate set of plans for suggestions of how to add
other pieces to complement the bed and different molding suggestions for
the bed.

The there is a DVD that goes for about an hour with detailed
instructions also.

Then there are the hinges for the legs the HD pivot plates for the to
hing on, ball joint attachment plates for theboth sides of the bed and
the casing tower sides.

Nuts, bolts, and washers. Mattress retainer straps and bed swing stops.

Then to top it all off there is a 10 year warranty on the parts.

Installation is really easy with a helper and after you carry the thing
to the ropom it will be set up in. Manuvering it to the room is really
the hardest part. There is a strict order of assembly of the components
to prevent an accident/it toppling down top of you.

I would buy it again in a heart beat, the parts are average to high
quality and the instructions are spot on in detail.

The kit is also available so that it pivots down from one side rather
from the head end. This makes the unit shorter in height but longer in
width.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2011 10:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It is worth something that they will stand behind those gas shocks for
10 years. Having worked in the automotive world I saw lots of failures
since the mid 70's.

http://www.nextag.com/hatch-strut/products-html

complex brackets at $6.05 each
http://goo.gl/mNXRf

I guess they must be either green or medical, huh?

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug wrote in

wrote:

[...]

Agreed and IIRC it is stated to pay attention to the details and
measurements on the drawings. They some times differ from the video.
The video is more of a show and tell and visually answers questi9ns you
may have. The instructions are to be precicely adheared to.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 10:24:43 -0700, Rich wrote:

Well, I've seen the nitrogen-charged shocks for hatchbacks going at
$25 a pop, and adding 4 brackets and 2 pivots doesn't seem to add up
to $300 to me, but I'm an awfully frugal SOB most of the time.

http://www.nextag.com/hatch-strut/products-html

complex brackets at $6.05 each
http://goo.gl/mNXRf

I guess they must be either green or medical, huh?

List price, 64.00 they must be complex or made of platinum.

Nah. Just "dealer markup".

--
Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a Congressman can.
-- Mark Twain
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Interesting. I hadn't seen much of that advertised on the websites.

OK, all that makes it a lot easier to handle the price. Thanks for
the detailed reply.

The kit is also available so that it pivots down from one side rather
from the head end. This makes the unit shorter in height but longer in
width.

Some mfgrs want $165 for that addition.

--
Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a Congressman can.
-- Mark Twain
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

And just to add a bit more, before buying the kit I called and talked to
the company and asked if I could get a copy of the instructions so that
I could design and work up a bid. I wanted to sell the bed before
committing the $300. They were happy to e-mail me a PDF of the
instructions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 22:58:55 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

And just to add a bit more, before buying the kit I called and talked to
the company and asked if I could get a copy of the instructions so that
I could design and work up a bid. I wanted to sell the bed before
committing the $300. They were happy to e-mail me a PDF of the
instructions.

Cool. Was that Rockler or the mfgr?

--
Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects.
--anon

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

And just to add a bit more, before buying the kit I called and talked to
the company and asked if I could get a copy of the instructions so that
I could design and work up a bid. I wanted to sell the bed before
committing the $300. They were happy to e-mail me a PDF of the
instructions.

Cool. Was that Rockler or the mfgr?

The manufacturer.

http://www.wallbed.com/