Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to clean plastic-bristled brush used for applying polyurethane?

I have a woodworking project I'm starting but don't know how to clean
the brush after applying coats of polyurethane. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

" writes:
I have a woodworking project I'm starting but don't know how to clean
the brush after applying coats of polyurethane. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Generally, the can of finish will include cleanup instructions. It will
also generally include a toll-free phone number that you can use to
follow up on any questions after reading the can.
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in message
I have a woodworking project I'm starting but don't know how to clean
the brush after applying coats of polyurethane. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Cleaning a brush actually starts with preparation before using it.
Saturate the bristles with the appropriate solvent for your finish before
starting to use it. In the case of oil based polyurethane, that would be
mineral spirits. Make sure you get the solvent all the way up to the
ferrule. Shake out the excess solvent. When you are using the brush, dip
the bristles into the finish no more than half way up the brush. These two
procedures keep the finish from getting up into the ferrule where it is hard
to clean.

To clean the brush after you are done with it:

1) Wipe off the excess polyurethane from the brush onto some newspaper or
equivalent.
2) Swish the brush in some mineral spirits three times using fresh mineral
spirits each time. Really work the solvent into the bristles on the last
rinse.
3) Squeeze out the remaining mineral spirits using your hands and some rags
or paper towels or swish the brush in some lacquer thinner to help remove
the mineral spirits and replace it with something a bit more water soluble.
I do not use the lacquer thinner method.
4) Clean the bristles using water and something like LESTOIL or PINESOL.
Make sure you rinse out all the cleaning agent. I have started using
MASTERS BRUSH CLEANER instead. It is like a soap / shampoo made for
brushes. It does a great job and conditions the bristles, especially
natural bristles. Just follow the directions on the container.
5) Spin the brush or whip it to remove the remaining water.
6) Wrap the brush with paper to preserve the desired shape.

Good Luck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 3, 8:02*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 6/3/2011 6:58 AM, wrote:

I have a woodworking project I'm starting but don't know how to clean
the brush after applying coats of polyurethane. *Any recommendations?

Thanks.

First you need to know what kind of poly you are using. *Oil or water based.

Oil based, clean with mineral spirits or thinner. *Water based, clean
with warm soap and water.

This all works well if you are planing ahead. *If the poly is already
dried on the brush, toss it and plan ahead next time.

In which case, soaking in ammonia might or might not
cut the hardened poly and restore the brush. Worth a
shot if the brush was other than the cheapest.