Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default How to clean plastic-bristled brush used for applying polyurethane?

On Jun 3, 8:02*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 6/3/2011 6:58 AM, wrote:

I have a woodworking project I'm starting but don't know how to clean
the brush after applying coats of polyurethane. *Any recommendations?

Thanks.

First you need to know what kind of poly you are using. *Oil or water based.

Oil based, clean with mineral spirits or thinner. *Water based, clean
with warm soap and water.

This all works well if you are planing ahead. *If the poly is already
dried on the brush, toss it and plan ahead next time.

In which case, soaking in ammonia might or might not
cut the hardened poly and restore the brush. Worth a
shot if the brush was other than the cheapest.