Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finish for walnut block

Just a block of walnut with holes drilled in it to hold some desk stuff.
Would like recommendations for an easy to do finish that has a good shine to
it. I used to use Rockler's Wunder coat, I think it was, for some things I
have made, but did not see it last time I was in Rockler's. So any
suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 1 May 2011 06:48:42 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

Just a block of walnut with holes drilled in it to hold some desk stuff.
Would like recommendations for an easy to do finish that has a good shine to
it. I used to use Rockler's Wunder coat, I think it was, for some things I
have made, but did not see it last time I was in Rockler's. So any
suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Waterlox Original in gloss.

Why shiny, though? I prefer seeing the -wood- beneath the finish,
myself.

--
We're all here because we're not all there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , tiredofspam
says...

I rely on shellac, period.
Oils are fine, shellac and oils make the grain pop.

If you want really easy it's hard to beat the Minwax wipe-on
polyurethane. You have to _work_ at screwing that up.

On 5/1/2011 9:48 AM, Paul wrote:
Just a block of walnut with holes drilled in it to hold some desk stuff.
Would like recommendations for an easy to do finish that has a good
shine to it. I used to use Rockler's Wunder coat, I think it was, for
some things I have made, but did not see it last time I was in
Rockler's. So any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/1/2011 9:48 AM, Paul wrote:
Just a block of walnut with holes drilled in it to hold some desk stuff.
Would like recommendations for an easy to do finish that has a good
shine to it. I used to use Rockler's Wunder coat, I think it was, for
some things I have made, but did not see it last time I was in
Rockler's. So any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

I would go with wipe on too. I am proof it is idiot-proof.

If you want to pop the grain up a little better you can start with
boiled linseed oil, let it dry thoroughly and then follow it with
poly. Both finishes are easy, dry pretty quickly and provide a very
nice finish on walnut. Also, the poly is easy to touch up if minor
scratches occur.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul O.

On 5/1/2011 9:48 AM, Paul wrote:
Just a block of walnut with holes drilled in it to hold some desk
stuff.
Would like recommendations for an easy to do finish that has a good
shine to it. I used to use Rockler's Wunder coat, I think it was, for
some things I have made, but did not see it last time I was in
Rockler's. So any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

I would go with wipe on too. I am proof it is idiot-proof.

If you want to pop the grain up a little better you can start with
boiled linseed oil, let it dry thoroughly and then follow it with
poly. Both finishes are easy, dry pretty quickly and provide a very
nice finish on walnut. Also, the poly is easy to touch up if minor
scratches occur.

RonB

I found, tucked away, a can of spray laquer. I'm trying it on a scrap of the
walnut to see how that looks. If that doesn't work for me, I'll try one of
you-all's suggestions.

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/1/2011 10:21 PM, Paul wrote:

On 5/1/2011 9:48 AM, Paul wrote:
Just a block of walnut with holes drilled in it to hold some desk
stuff. Would like recommendations for an easy to do finish that has a good
shine to it. I used to use Rockler's Wunder coat, I think it was, for
some things I have made, but did not see it last time I was in
Rockler's. So any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

I found, tucked away, a can of spray laquer. I'm trying it on a scrap of
the walnut to see how that looks. If that doesn't work for me, I'll try
one of you-all's suggestions.

The easiest is the can of spray lacquer you have. It is not quite as
nice as shellac, shellac is perfect for walnut and maple, and is fool
proof. You have to open the can, stir and apply a couple of times and
steel wool it, so it is not quite as easy, but the result is spectacular.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 1, 9:48*am, "Paul" wrote:
Just a block of walnut with holes drilled in it to hold some desk stuff.
Would like recommendations for an easy to do finish that has a good shine to
it. I used to use Rockler's Wunder coat, I think it was, for some things I
have made, but did not see it last time I was in Rockler's. So any
suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

The ultimate finish for walnut is shellac, either rubbed
or French polished. Orange shellac adds a nice warm
tone.

Walnut Oil as a finish John Woodturning 5 May 23rd 08 02:56 AM
Walnut Finish SGM Woodworking 2 August 6th 07 11:58 PM
walnut finish [email protected] Woodworking 3 October 26th 05 04:59 PM
Best finish for Walnut? nivek Woodworking 12 September 8th 04 06:38 PM
Walnut finish Neil Cummins Woodworking 5 February 11th 04 12:37 AM