Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Walnut Oil as a finish

I have read that Walnut oil can be used as a finish, but what do people
here think of it as a finish?
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 20 May 2008 14:40:56 +0100, John
wrote:

I have read that Walnut oil can be used as a finish, but what do people
here think of it as a finish?

I haven't ever tried it. Just the other day I turned a few oak
furniture legs and had a pile of fresh pine chips on the floor. I
used a handful of pine chips on the oak legs and it produced a
polished surface. I guess the pine sap works like a finish.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

I use walnut oil on many of my bowls. I like it for finishing some of
my turnings. It is easy to apply, is food safe, and can be used and
handled right after application. I especially like it on some of the
darker woods. MIke Mahoney makes a good product. He has both pure
walnut oil and he also has a cream that is made of walnut oil and some
waxes. A couple of problems I find with walnut oil are that it can
take quite a while to fully cure and it can turn some light colored
woods too dark.

Ted
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

There is a difference in walnut oils. The stuff from Mike is made by
pressing the husks of the nuts, and the leaves. The stuff in the
grocery store is from the nut meats. This is pasteurized. The heating
is supposed to break down the proteins that cause the nut allergies. I
have used Mikes finish for a couple of years. I consider it to be
great for first treatment. With regular use, most foods have enough
oils in them to keep your bowls in great condition. If the bowls are
used a lot, then you really don't need any more treatment. You don't
have to use soap every time you wash your bowl. Rinse and scour it out
with a scotch brite pad, or one of the plastic 'Tuffy' pads. If the
bowl starts to feel gunky on the inside, then it is time for some
soap. This gunk is more from not cleaning it properly. If you don't
want to use soap, then some table salt, and a wedge of lemon or lime
(I suppose orange or grapefruit) will do the same thing. Any salad oil
will work. Apply, let stand for a while, then wipe off all excess.
robo hippy

On May 20, 9:42*am, Ted wrote:
I use walnut oil on many of my bowls. *I like it for finishing some of
my turnings. *It is easy to apply, is food safe, and can be used and
handled right after application. *I especially like it on some of the
darker woods. *MIke Mahoney makes a good product. *He has both pure
walnut oil and he also has a cream that is made of walnut oil and some
waxes. *A couple of problems I find with walnut oil are that it can
take quite a while to fully cure and it can turn some light colored
woods too dark.

Ted

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"John" skrev i melding
I have read that Walnut oil can be used as a finish, but what do people
here think of it as a finish?

Hi,

I have been using walnut oil on bowls and platters for years, especially if
I want
a light, matte sheen, and when I intend it for food.
I use the oil as it comes from the shelf in the supermarket.

This oil has two advantages over olive oil and other food oils:
It darkens the wood only very little. It does not turn rancid.

Most food oils turn rancid after a while, and can ruin a good meal.

But be careful to let it cure properly: Walnut oil needs temperatures above
23 degrees centigrade. Below this temperature it does not cure at all.
When cured, it will last a long time. But it also needs long time to cure,
more than a week; even in warm and dry conditions.

If you only let it cure partly, it is easily washed out of the wood.

I use it on my gunstocks, and it penetrates beautifully, and gives a
lasting sheen.

BjarteR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Actually, walnut oil can go rancid. I used to think that the vegetable
oils would also, then I ran into a guy who had been making bowls for a
long time, and all he used for a finish was olive oil. The oils do go
sour if they don't get to dry properly (incomplete oxidation). You
don't want to leave it on the surface. Wipe off any excess. Any build
up should be removed. Don't let salad oil sit in your bowl for days at
a time. Rinse it out well after each use. Also bowls need to breathe.
They need to be out in open air, not in a plastic bag, or a closed box
or drawer for long periods of time.

"John" skrev i ...

Walnut Finish SGM Woodworking 2 August 6th 07 11:58 PM
walnut finish [email protected] Woodworking 3 October 26th 05 04:59 PM
Black Walnut Finish suggestions Never Enough Money Woodworking 1 October 23rd 04 05:38 PM
Best finish for Walnut? nivek Woodworking 12 September 8th 04 06:38 PM
Walnut finish Neil Cummins Woodworking 5 February 11th 04 12:37 AM