Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bjarte Runderheim[_2_] Bjarte Runderheim[_2_] is offline

Default Walnut Oil as a finish

"John" skrev i melding
I have read that Walnut oil can be used as a finish, but what do people
here think of it as a finish?

Hi,

I have been using walnut oil on bowls and platters for years, especially if
I want
a light, matte sheen, and when I intend it for food.
I use the oil as it comes from the shelf in the supermarket.

This oil has two advantages over olive oil and other food oils:
It darkens the wood only very little. It does not turn rancid.

Most food oils turn rancid after a while, and can ruin a good meal.

But be careful to let it cure properly: Walnut oil needs temperatures above
23 degrees centigrade. Below this temperature it does not cure at all.
When cured, it will last a long time. But it also needs long time to cure,
more than a week; even in warm and dry conditions.

If you only let it cure partly, it is easily washed out of the wood.

I use it on my gunstocks, and it penetrates beautifully, and gives a
lasting sheen.

BjarteR