Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lumber Liquidators Weekend Sale / Rosewood / Bamboo / etc.

Lumber Liquidators is having their yearly sale in which they sell off
their odd boxes. Last year they were selling boxes of approx. 28 sq.
ft (or whatever a std. box holds) for five bucks a box.

It's all tongue and groove flooring. The problem is figuring out
another use for it. Anyway, it makes an easy way to experiment with
bamboo this year.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"kimosabe" wrote in message

Lumber Liquidators is having their yearly sale in which they sell off
their odd boxes. Last year they were selling boxes of approx. 28 sq.
ft (or whatever a std. box holds) for five bucks a box.

It's all tongue and groove flooring. The problem is figuring out
another use for it. Anyway, it makes an easy way to experiment with
bamboo this year.

Push come to shove, it would make good kindling.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/11 11:57 PM, kimosabe wrote:
Lumber Liquidators is having their yearly sale in which they sell off
their odd boxes. Last year they were selling boxes of approx. 28 sq.
ft (or whatever a std. box holds) for five bucks a box.

It's all tongue and groove flooring. The problem is figuring out
another use for it. Anyway, it makes an easy way to experiment with
bamboo this year.

Did you buy any and use it?
Does it have all 3' pieces?
Or is it six 3' pieces on top of one hundred 1' pieces, like the stuff I
recently installed?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"kimosabe" wrote in message
Lumber Liquidators is having their yearly sale in which they sell
off
their odd boxes. Last year they were selling boxes of approx. 28
sq.
ft (or whatever a std. box holds) for five bucks a box.

It's all tongue and groove flooring. The problem is figuring out
another use for it. Anyway, it makes an easy way to experiment with
bamboo this year.

Masked Man:

As a covering on another underlying material,
you can do interesting decorative things with
boxes and picture frames.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edward Hennessey" writes:

"kimosabe" wrote in message
Lumber Liquidators is having their yearly sale in which they sell
off
their odd boxes. Last year they were selling boxes of approx. 28
sq.
ft (or whatever a std. box holds) for five bucks a box.

It's all tongue and groove flooring. The problem is figuring out
another use for it. Anyway, it makes an easy way to experiment with
bamboo this year.

Masked Man:

As a covering on another underlying material,
you can do interesting decorative things with
boxes and picture frames.

You can also use it to make "desk chair mats" to replace those plastic
desk chair mats that wear out and start cracking every 12 months or so.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

Some good ideas.

The box came with mixed lengths. The shortest were about eighteen
inches, a few were six feet, and the rest were in-between sizes. It
isn't just stuff they have lying around, it's the regularly packaged
flooring.

Last year I bought one box of Honduran Rosewood and ended up making a
tool board out of it. I bought one pkg. of Oak, but have been
uninspired to do anything with it. A note I wrote to myself on a
calendar was to use it to weigh down the new vapor barrier in the
crawlspace.

At five bucks a box, I almost feel that I can't justify not buying
some.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"kimosabe" wrote in message
Lumber Liquidators is having their yearly sale in which they sell off
their odd boxes. Last year they were selling boxes of approx. 28 sq.
ft (or whatever a std. box holds) for five bucks a box.

It's all tongue and groove flooring. The problem is figuring out
another use for it. Anyway, it makes an easy way to experiment with
bamboo this year.

If it's the pre-finished stuff which the factory covered with their
rock hard wonder finish be careful. Three feet of that stuff will
trash a set of HSS jointer or planer knives. DAMHIKT.
I've yet to find a chemical striper which will touch the stuff.
SiC sandpaper will do the job but you'll go thru a bunch of it.
Fire does a wonderful job on it.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
Floor a wall. Make some beautiful paneling in a game room...

ME:

The wainscoting is a cool idea. Built in book cases, columns,
hollow columns with shelves that are exposed when swivled....

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Martin

On 4/27/2011 6:36 AM, Leon wrote:

"kimosabe" wrote in message

Lumber Liquidators is having their yearly sale in which they sell
off
their odd boxes. Last year they were selling boxes of approx. 28
sq.
ft (or whatever a std. box holds) for five bucks a box.

It's all tongue and groove flooring. The problem is figuring out
another use for it. Anyway, it makes an easy way to experiment with
bamboo this year.

Push come to shove, it would make good kindling.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:59:05 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

On 4/26/11 11:57 PM, kimosabe wrote:
Lumber Liquidators is having their yearly sale in which they sell off
their odd boxes. Last year they were selling boxes of approx. 28 sq.
ft (or whatever a std. box holds) for five bucks a box.

It's all tongue and groove flooring. The problem is figuring out
another use for it. Anyway, it makes an easy way to experiment with
bamboo this year.

Did you buy any and use it?
Does it have all 3' pieces?
Or is it six 3' pieces on top of one hundred 1' pieces, like the stuff I
recently installed?

Bamboo should all be longer pieces. It's manufactured so there are no odds in
short pieces. The stuff I bought a few years back was all 6'.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 27, 9:55*pm, "Artemus" wrote:

If it's the pre-finished stuff which the factory covered with their
rock hard wonder finish be careful. *Three feet of that stuff will
trash a set of HSS jointer or planer knives. *DAMHIKT.
I've yet to find a chemical striper which will touch the stuff.
SiC sandpaper will do the job but you'll go thru a bunch of it.
Fire does a wonderful job on it.
Art

That's the stuff. I didn't know the finish was going to be that much
of a hassle.

How resistant is bamboo to resawing? I tried resawing some of the
rosewood on the bandsaw and the table saw. Things didn't go well and
I don't want to do that to my blades again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:17:18 -0700 (PDT), kimosabe
wrote:

On Apr 27, 9:55Â*pm, "Artemus" wrote:

If it's the pre-finished stuff which the factory covered with their
rock hard wonder finish be careful. Â*Three feet of that stuff will
trash a set of HSS jointer or planer knives. Â*DAMHIKT.
I've yet to find a chemical striper which will touch the stuff.
SiC sandpaper will do the job but you'll go thru a bunch of it.
Fire does a wonderful job on it.
Art

That's the stuff. I didn't know the finish was going to be that much
of a hassle.

How resistant is bamboo to resawing? I tried resawing some of the
rosewood on the bandsaw and the table saw. Things didn't go well and
I don't want to do that to my blades again.

Bamboo contains lots of silica which is really hard on steel and
carbide. It's probably only 2 or 3 times as bad as rosewood.

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 28, 8:17*pm, kimosabe wrote:
On Apr 27, 9:55*pm, "Artemus" wrote:

If it's the pre-finished stuff which the factory covered with their
rock hard wonder finish be careful. *Three feet of that stuff will
trash a set of HSS jointer or planer knives. *DAMHIKT.
I've yet to find a chemical striper which will touch the stuff.
SiC sandpaper will do the job but you'll go thru a bunch of it.
Fire does a wonderful job on it.
Art

That's the stuff. *I didn't know the finish was going to be that much
of a hassle.

How resistant is bamboo to resawing? *I tried resawing some of the
rosewood on the bandsaw and the table saw. *Things didn't go well and
I don't want to do that to my blades again.

Bamboo canes are usually split with some sort of
froelike instrument. Not sure if you could split laminated
bamboo flooring planks.

HF Sale this weekend HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 12 June 14th 09 03:00 AM
Bamboo lumber? RayV Woodworking 5 February 1st 07 10:26 PM
Bamboo lumber Joe Bleau Woodworking 21 January 27th 07 06:23 AM
Bamboo lumber rob Woodworking 8 October 8th 05 05:41 PM
Lumber Liquidators.....Opinions Please bremen68 Woodworking 20 July 13th 05 04:18 AM