Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Removing wax coating from wood blank

What is the best way to remove this wax? I have skim cut the edges on the
table saw, now I need to get it off the top and bottom surfaces, and due to
the dimensions I don't want to try skim cutting those two surfaces. I have
removed some with a putty knife. It is a block of walnut that I will end up
staining. I am not going to be turning this, just leaving the block in it's
present shape. Will acetone work, or mineral spirits? Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Paul" writes:
What is the best way to remove this wax? I have skim cut the edges on the
table saw, now I need to get it off the top and bottom surfaces, and due to
the dimensions I don't want to try skim cutting those two surfaces. I have
removed some with a putty knife. It is a block of walnut that I will end up
staining. I am not going to be turning this, just leaving the block in it's
present shape. Will acetone work, or mineral spirits? Thanks.

Scrape it off with a card scraper.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

I assume this is too short and has too little thickness
to do a couple of light passes through a planer. In
that case do what Lew suggested, refreezing as
necessary, but use a card scraper, or cabinet scraper,
to do it.

Deb

Paul wrote:

What is the best way to remove this wax? I have skim

cut the edges on the
table saw, now I need to get it off the top and

bottom surfaces, and due
to the dimensions I don't want to try skim cutting

those two surfaces. I
have removed some with a putty knife. It is a block

of walnut that I will
end up staining. I am not going to be turning this,

just leaving the block
in it's present shape. Will acetone work, or mineral

spirits? Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The block measures 3 1/2" X 6" X 2". I don't have any scrapers, unless you
want to count the 12" metal scale I was using after I used the putty knife
on it. I do have some old Stanley planes that I've sharpened the blades on.
Might see if I can get down a little further with one of those so I can sand
it. But then I'm not an expert at using planes either.

--
Paul O.

Paul wrote:

What is the best way to remove this wax? I have skim

cut the edges on the
table saw, now I need to get it off the top and

bottom surfaces, and due
to the dimensions I don't want to try skim cutting

those two surfaces. I
have removed some with a putty knife. It is a block

of walnut that I will
end up staining. I am not going to be turning this,

just leaving the block
in it's present shape. Will acetone work, or mineral

spirits? Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 25, 5:20*pm, (Scott Lurndal) wrote:
"Paul" writes:
What is the best way to remove this wax? I have skim cut the edges on the
table saw, now I need to get it off the top and bottom surfaces, and due to
the dimensions I don't want to try skim cutting those two surfaces. I have
removed some with a putty knife. It is a block of walnut that I will end up
staining. I am not going to be turning this, just leaving the block in it's
present shape. Will acetone work, or mineral spirits? Thanks.

Scrape it off with a card scraper.

scott

Fast, and it takes less solvent to clean the wax from a scraper
than from a wooden blank.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 25, 5:56*pm, "Paul" wrote:

The block measures 3 1/2" X 6" X 2". I don't have any scrapers, unless you
want to count the 12" metal scale I was using after I used the putty knife
on it. I do have some old Stanley planes that I've sharpened the blades on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Paul
wrote:

I don't have any scrapers, unless you
want to count the 12" metal scale I was using after I used the putty knife
on it.

Do you also have a file and a screwdriver shaft? Make a scraper. It's
not rocket science.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey, I got it. Used one of my Stanleys on it, then sanded, sanded, and
sanded. Talk about doing it the hard way. When I get ready for a finish on
it, I'll be back :-) Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:15:21 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

Hey, I got it. Used one of my Stanleys on it, then sanded, sanded, and
sanded. Talk about doing it the hard way. When I get ready for a finish on
it, I'll be back :-) Thanks.

Before finishing any wood, I usually take a cloth with lacquer thinner
on it to rub down every square inch of wood, just to make sure there
is nothing on the wood, including my greasy fingerprints.
Regular mineral spirits works well, too, but I like LT better.

--
Age is always advancing, and I'm pretty sure it's up to no good.
--Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul O.
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:15:21 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

Hey, I got it. Used one of my Stanleys on it, then sanded, sanded, and
sanded. Talk about doing it the hard way. When I get ready for a finish on
it, I'll be back :-) Thanks.

Before finishing any wood, I usually take a cloth with lacquer thinner
on it to rub down every square inch of wood, just to make sure there
is nothing on the wood, including my greasy fingerprints.
Regular mineral spirits works well, too, but I like LT better.

--
Age is always advancing, and I'm pretty sure it's up to no good.
--Harry Dresden

Ok, thanks for the tip.

Paul