Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Molding Profile Help

I am trying to figure out the name of a type of molding profile. I
believe it was used years ago to hide joints in paneling before tee
strips. In profile it looks like 1/4th a dowel if it were sliced
straight not like a quarter round. They were about an inch and a half
wide and only maybe 3/16" thick and did not have a flat top. I want
to put it over a edge of a mitered corner for a rounded surface. The
clerk at the HD store wanted to sell me a batten which is flat on top.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 22, 2:29*pm, Gary Ober wrote:
I am trying to figure out the name of a type of molding profile. *I
believe it was used years ago to hide joints in paneling before tee
strips. *In profile it looks like 1/4th a dowel if it were sliced
straight not like a quarter round. *They were about an inch and a half
wide and only maybe 3/16" thick and did not have a flat top. *I want
to put it over a edge of a mitered corner for a rounded surface. *The
clerk at the HD store wanted to sell me a batten which is flat on top.

Any time you have such a question Google then click on the Images link
at the top of the results page.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=profiles+molding

Posted to rec.woodworking

Like a gently domed (rather than a profiled) astragal molding?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Do you mean bead board? If so you can amke it yourself with a beading
bit.

Sctoll down this page to see a profile of bead board
http://www.americanbeadboard.com/?gc...FQxvbAod1y69HA

On Apr 22, 11:29*am, Gary Ober wrote:
I am trying to figure out the name of a type of molding profile. *I
believe it was used years ago to hide joints in paneling before tee
strips. *In profile it looks like 1/4th a dowel if it were sliced
straight not like a quarter round. *They were about an inch and a half
wide and only maybe 3/16" thick and did not have a flat top. *I want
to put it over a edge of a mitered corner for a rounded surface. *The
clerk at the HD store wanted to sell me a batten which is flat on top.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Do you mean bead board? If so, you can make your own with a beading
bit.

Scroll down this page to see a bead board profile.
http://www.americanbeadboard.com/?gc...FQxvbAod1y69HA

On Apr 22, 11:29*am, Gary Ober wrote:
I am trying to figure out the name of a type of molding profile. *I
believe it was used years ago to hide joints in paneling before tee
strips. *In profile it looks like 1/4th a dowel if it were sliced
straight not like a quarter round. *They were about an inch and a half
wide and only maybe 3/16" thick and did not have a flat top. *I want
to put it over a edge of a mitered corner for a rounded surface. *The
clerk at the HD store wanted to sell me a batten which is flat on top.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
Like a gently domed (rather than a profiled) astragal molding?

Sonny

S:

"Astragal", as a molding profile, was new on me. The
word "Astragalus" is in the head regarding ankles
and the plant genus Astragalus which has an informative
write-up at the given URL. How a molding got the name
is a bit of a puzzle.

http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com...aydenianus.htm

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 11:29:20 -0700 (PDT), Gary Ober
wrote:

I am trying to figure out the name of a type of molding profile. I
believe it was used years ago to hide joints in paneling before tee
strips. In profile it looks like 1/4th a dowel if it were sliced
straight not like a quarter round. They were about an inch and a half
wide and only maybe 3/16" thick and did not have a flat top. I want
to put it over a edge of a mitered corner for a rounded surface. The
clerk at the HD store wanted to sell me a batten which is flat on top.

Maybe you can find what you seek he
http://www.hardwoodweb.com/moulding/profiles.cfm
I was thinking "half round" from your description, but I think you
want a slice off a 4" dowel for that.

--
Accept the pain, cherish the joys, resolve the regrets;
then can come the best of benedictions -
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/22/2011 7:43 PM, Edward Hennessey wrote:
wrote in message
Like a gently domed (rather than a profiled) astragal molding?

Sonny

S:

"Astragal", as a molding profile, was new on me. The
word "Astragalus" is in the head regarding ankles
and the plant genus Astragalus which has an informative
write-up at the given URL. How a molding got the name
is a bit of a puzzle.

http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com...aydenianus.htm

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

An astragal is a piece of molding or moulding that goes between double
doors, usually where one door is fixed and one is operable. It becomes
the jamb for the operable door, so to speak. Usually referred to as a
"T astragal".

HTH

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 17:43:34 -0700, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:

"Sonny" wrote in message
Like a gently domed (rather than a profiled) astragal molding?

Sonny

S:

"Astragal", as a molding profile, was new on me. The
word "Astragalus" is in the head regarding ankles
and the plant genus Astragalus which has an informative
write-up at the given URL. How a molding got the name
is a bit of a puzzle.

http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com...aydenianus.htm

Funny. I've always (wrongly, I see) pronounced that "astralagus".
The moulding is likely named for the bi-sulcate seedpod end profile.
(bottom picture on the right in the black background)

--
Accept the pain, cherish the joys, resolve the regrets;
then can come the best of benedictions -
'If I had my life to live over, I'd do it all the same.'
-- Joan McIntosh
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Sonny" wrote in message
Like a gently domed (rather than a profiled) astragal molding?

Sonny

S:

"Astragal", as a molding profile, was new on me. The
word "Astragalus" is in the head regarding ankles
and the plant genus Astragalus which has an informative
write-up at the given URL. How a molding got the name
is a bit of a puzzle.

http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com...aydenianus.htm

Funny. I've always (wrongly, I see) pronounced that "astralagus".
The moulding is likely named for the bi-sulcate seedpod end profile.
(bottom picture on the right in the black background)

LJ:

How someone decided to make that connection
in nominating the molding still puzzles when other
inventions might have sparked a more familiar
connection.

As to the pronunciation, the erroneous form you
cite is one I've seen spelled out and pronounced
before. Google shows the error as far more infrequent
than my experience would have ever guessed.

The form of the bone, compact and durable, makes
it a frequent intact survivor in turbid fossil deposits where
more slender and longer elements are only represented
by broken parts or shards. Of some interest, the word
goes to the same root meaning as hazard:"dice" with
the theory being that the bone found ancient use in gaming.

Roll them bones.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

--
Accept the pain, cherish the joys, resolve the regrets;
then can come the best of benedictions -
'If I had my life to live over, I'd do it all the same.'
-- Joan McIntosh

Posted to rec.woodworking

eb.com...
wrote in message
Like a gently domed (rather than a profiled) astragal molding?

Sonny

S:

"Astragal", as a molding profile, was new on me. The
word "Astragalus" is in the head regarding ankles
and the plant genus Astragalus which has an informative
write-up at the given URL. How a molding got the name
is a bit of a puzzle.

http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com...aydenianus.htm

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

An astragal is a piece of molding or moulding that goes between
double doors, usually where one door is fixed and one is operable.
It becomes the jamb for the operable door, so to speak. Usually
referred to as a "T astragal".

RA:

Gotcha and thanks for the education.

With recall of "finish line", I hope you got a chance
to prowl the PDF of the inventions treatment previously
mentioned. It was ingeniousness chapter and verse when
I read it.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

HTH

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 21:40:47 -0700, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Sonny" wrote in message
Like a gently domed (rather than a profiled) astragal molding?

Sonny

S:

"Astragal", as a molding profile, was new on me. The
word "Astragalus" is in the head regarding ankles
and the plant genus Astragalus which has an informative
write-up at the given URL. How a molding got the name
is a bit of a puzzle.

http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com...aydenianus.htm

Funny. I've always (wrongly, I see) pronounced that "astralagus".
The moulding is likely named for the bi-sulcate seedpod end profile.
(bottom picture on the right in the black background)

LJ:

How someone decided to make that connection
in nominating the molding still puzzles when other
inventions might have sparked a more familiar
connection.

No doubt it was some silly gardener who made it, perhaps in his weekly
article in the local rag.

As to the pronunciation, the erroneous form you
cite is one I've seen spelled out and pronounced
before. Google shows the error as far more infrequent
than my experience would have ever guessed.

Right, the list of misspellers even includes some of the major vitamin
makers.

The form of the bone, compact and durable, makes
it a frequent intact survivor in turbid fossil deposits where
more slender and longer elements are only represented
by broken parts or shards. Of some interest, the word
goes to the same root meaning as hazard:"dice" with
the theory being that the bone found ancient use in gaming.

Roll them bones.

Weren't they first made from bone, Ed? (Oh, from the wiki)
"Dice were probably originally made from the ankle bones (specifically
the talus or "astragalus") of hoofed animals (such as oxen),
colloquially known as "knucklebones", which are approximately
tetrahedral (hence the slang term "bones" used for dice)."

--
Make up your mind to act decidedly and take the consequences.
No good is ever done in this world by hesitation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

eb.com...
wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I have been perusing it and a lot of other sites.

Thanks,

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Sonny" wrote in message
[...]

Smoking that old-time locoweed maybe.

As to the pronunciation, the erroneous form you
cite is one I've seen spelled out and pronounced
before. Google shows the error as far more infrequent
than my experience would have ever guessed.

Right, the list of misspellers even includes some of the major
vitamin
makers.

Which mutual observation at least gives me great
faith in the assurance of the efficacy of their product.
"I don't want the aspirin. Give me the asprin. That's
the rare stuff. It's so hard to find."

The form of the bone, compact and durable, makes
it a frequent intact survivor in turbid fossil deposits where
more slender and longer elements are only represented
by broken parts or shards. Of some interest, the word
goes to the same root meaning as hazard:"dice" with
the theory being that the bone found ancient use in gaming.

Roll them bones.

Weren't they first made from bone, Ed? (Oh, from the wiki)
"Dice were probably originally made from the ankle bones
(specifically
the talus or "astragalus") of hoofed animals (such as oxen),
colloquially known as "knucklebones", which are approximately
tetrahedral (hence the slang term "bones" used for dice)."

This is an IIRC distillation from the old fire of dusty
neurons. I think the game framing their use
was one more of skill mixed with chance than throwing more
nearly-balanced dice. Generally, an astragalus has two long,
broader sides. There may be plenty of exceptions in what
our predecessors used. Thrown wild style, the bone in
my conception should be more prone to finish up/down on
one of these long faces. Marks of flowers have been found,
however, on the adjacent sides. Flowers=blooming=pretty=
good=growing season, you win! Perhaps.

So, one theory would
be the gamers more difficultly, more skillfully, tried to roll
them so that less-stable marked side came up. Sure, there's
plenty of indeterminacy in the mix--but if there was an
added rule that the bone/die had to pass a distant line
or hit a target to count and show the flowered
awkward side--there's the art...if acclamation recognizes
one player as an artist you don't want to play against.

Remember those Summer evenings lagging pennies at
a curb pitching for a leaner that had the head facing you?
Ever run across a cat who could hustle that?
Maybe it could have been akin. Who knows?
If trials have been done with the artifacts, someone
wrote a paper. This isn't my focus.I don't know.
You read and I bet we'll gather at the camp fire with
itching ears.

From my random file, here's a guy who ought to have an
opinion as he has a real nifty, compact collection. People
marrying enthusiasm with intelligence on the web are
often quite forthcoming in response to questions:

http://www.dicecollector.com/JM/

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

--
Make up your mind to act decidedly and take the consequences.
No good is ever done in this world by hesitation.
-- Thomas H. Huxley

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 4/23/2011 11:47 PM, Edward Hennessey wrote:
eb.com...
wrote in message
[...]

My pleasure. Your decision will be illuminating.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 24, 11:47*pm, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:

You read and *I bet we'll gather at the camp fire with
itching ears.

Probably Poison Ivy.

From my random file, here's a guy who ought to have an
opinion as he has a real nifty, compact collection. People
marrying enthusiasm with intelligence on the web are
often quite forthcoming in response to questions:

http://www.dicecollector.com/JM/

It must be nice to collect things that are so small. Sigh.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

You read and I bet we'll gather at the camp fire with
itching ears.

RDJ:

Probably Poison Ivy.

Here's bit of bushcraft you'll thankfully praise if
you have the right occasion: put a piece of cotton in
your ear when trekking tick country.

From my random file, here's a guy who ought to have an
opinion as he has a real nifty, compact collection. People
marrying enthusiasm with intelligence on the web are
often quite forthcoming in response to questions:

http://www.dicecollector.com/JM/

It must be nice to collect things that are so small. Sigh.

A friend had one of the top two worldwide collections of
Pacific Ocean fish otoliths (ear bones). Recollection imagines
it occupied 1.5 file cabinets. Then there's psammophily, or sand
collecting to entertain and excuse travelilng:
http://www.google.com/#q=%22sand+col... c.r_pw.&cad=b

But if you collect steam engines....

Regards,

Edward Hennessey