Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using door and window molding as floor base molding

Just curious has anyone used standard door and window molding for the
floor? I know at HD and Lowes they have them labeled as such in the
aisles, but I have used moulding meant for the doors and windows for
the floor because they are easier to work with. My floors and walls
are not perfect, and these moldings I am using are 2 1/4" wide by
about 3/8" thick, making it easier for me to flex the moulding to
contour with the floor and wall, thus eliminating the need to caulk or
put a shoe molding.
I am close to finishing my basement and find that if I used the big
4"+ base moulding it would be difficult to work with. So far the
smaller moulding is working out great. I just wanted to know what
others think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 9:37*am, Mikepier wrote:
Just curious has anyone used standard door and window molding for the
floor? I know at HD and Lowes they have them labeled as such in the
aisles, but I have used moulding meant for the doors and windows for
the floor because they are easier to work with. My floors and walls
are not perfect, and these moldings I am using are 2 1/4" wide by
about 3/8" thick, making it easier for me to flex the moulding to
contour with the floor and wall, thus eliminating the need to caulk or
put a shoe molding.
I am close to finishing my basement and find that if I used the big
4"+ base moulding it would be difficult to work with. So far the
smaller moulding is working out great. I just wanted to know what
others think.

There are no "rules" about it. But usually baseboard molding is
simple making it easier to clean and keep clean. Intricate molding
will colect dust and dirt more and will be harder to clean if used at
the floor level.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 06:37:29 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

Just curious has anyone used standard door and window molding for the
floor? I know at HD and Lowes they have them labeled as such in the
aisles, but I have used moulding meant for the doors and windows for
the floor because they are easier to work with. My floors and walls
are not perfect, and these moldings I am using are 2 1/4" wide by
about 3/8" thick, making it easier for me to flex the moulding to
contour with the floor and wall, thus eliminating the need to caulk or
put a shoe molding.
I am close to finishing my basement and find that if I used the big
4"+ base moulding it would be difficult to work with. So far the
smaller moulding is working out great. I just wanted to know what
others think.

With molding I think you should use what you like.
Might not look good if you go too wide/tall because of proportions,
but going narrower/shorter as you are should still look good.
That's just my take.
I flipped the shoe I recently put in so the tall side was down,
because it covered the old varnish line on the floor that way.
(I had the floors sanded/varnished, then decided to put in new
base/shoe to match.)
To my eye it looks real good.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 9:37*am, Mikepier wrote:
Just curious has anyone used standard door and window molding for the
floor? I know at HD and Lowes they have them labeled as such in the
aisles, but I have used moulding meant for the doors and windows for
the floor because they are easier to work with. My floors and walls
are not perfect, and these moldings I am using are 2 1/4" wide by
about 3/8" thick, making it easier for me to flex the moulding to
contour with the floor and wall, thus eliminating the need to caulk or
put a shoe molding.
I am close to finishing my basement and find that if I used the big
4"+ base moulding it would be difficult to work with. So far the
smaller moulding is working out great. I just wanted to know what
others think.

I'm sure someone would be happy to go on and on about matching
the scale and style of the woodwork to the scale and style of the
room it's in.

We are putting new molding in a small vestibule. None of the
stock millwork thrilled us, so we got 1 x 4 red oak, and
he's going to round over one edge for the baseboard and
both edges for the door casings. Simple, just the way
we like things. I'll stain it to harmonize with the door and
flooring.

Do what pleases you.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 8:37*am, Mikepier wrote:
Just curious has anyone used standard door and window molding for the
floor? I know at HD and Lowes they have them labeled as such in the
aisles, but I have used moulding meant for the doors and windows for
the floor because they are easier to work with. My floors and walls
are not perfect, and these moldings I am using are 2 1/4" wide by
about 3/8" thick, making it easier for me to flex the moulding to
contour with the floor and wall, thus eliminating the need to caulk or
put a shoe molding.
I am close to finishing my basement and find that if I used the big
4"+ base moulding it would be difficult to work with. So far the
smaller moulding is working out great. I just wanted to know what
others think.

It is one of those personal things and people do swap to meet the
effect they want.

One Caution: Make sure your thicknesses and edge radius is OK so you
don't have a square cut end sticking out a little proud of your door
molding. Voice of experience.

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote the following:
Just curious has anyone used standard door and window molding for the
floor? I know at HD and Lowes they have them labeled as such in the
aisles, but I have used moulding meant for the doors and windows for
the floor because they are easier to work with. My floors and walls
are not perfect, and these moldings I am using are 2 1/4" wide by
about 3/8" thick, making it easier for me to flex the moulding to
contour with the floor and wall, thus eliminating the need to caulk or
put a shoe molding.
I am close to finishing my basement and find that if I used the big
4"+ base moulding it would be difficult to work with. So far the
smaller moulding is working out great. I just wanted to know what
others think.

When my house was built in 1984, the GC used ogee door and window trim
as baseboard in all the rooms.
The longer I looked at it, the more I wanted to change to regular base
molding. I finally changed it to wood baseboard molding in all the rooms.
In the kitchen and baths, where mopping and spills are common, I used
the plastic baseboard molding. The plastic molding is more flexible than
wood, so you may want to use that if your floors are uneven.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

One can be flexible, if it looks good, then it should work. I have seen
baseboard used as window casing, I have used door stop as baseboard quarter
round when I didn't want it to protrude into the floor, in utility areas I
have used 1/4" plywood scrap cut into strips and routed with a round over
bit for baseboard.

One molding you may want to attempt to locate is "Combination base". It is a
short baseboard molding that flares out at the bottom so that it doesn't
need a shoe or quarter round. It is especially handy when working over
carpet on top of concrete as there would be no place to nail the shoe or
quarter round. It is also flexible enough to follow undulations of poured
concrete. Sometimes it is difficult to find.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Just curious has anyone used standard door and window molding for the
floor? I know at HD and Lowes they have them labeled as such in the
aisles, but I have used moulding meant for the doors and windows for
the floor because they are easier to work with.

I know a guy that knows a guy that did the same thing. Seems that when the
Mattress Tag Police came to do an inspection, they noticed the improper use
of molding in his house. They reported him to the authorities. He ended up
with a $5000 fine and 200 hours of community service and had to put floor
molding in to avoid jail time.

None of my business what you do in the privacy of your home, but I'd advise
never posting it publicly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Just curious has anyone used standard door and window molding for the
floor? I know at HD and Lowes they have them labeled as such in the
aisles, but I have used moulding meant for the doors and windows for
the floor because they are easier to work with.

I know a guy that knows a guy that did the same thing. Seems that when the
Mattress Tag Police came to do an inspection, they noticed the improper use
of molding in his house. They reported him to the authorities. He ended up
with a $5000 fine and 200 hours of community service and had to put floor
molding in to avoid jail time.

None of my business what you do in the privacy of your home, but I'd advise
never posting it publicly.

He just needs to go to the right lumberyard. You know, one of those, uh,
family-run businesses. Buy the window moulding, but slip the man an
extra $20 to write "base moulding" on the receipt.