Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bench chisels

Looking to get a good set of bench chisels 1/4" - 1" to replace my old
ones. Looking for recommendations.

Thanks, Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:16:01 -0500, Jim in Milwaukee
wrote:

Looking to get a good set of bench chisels 1/4" - 1" to replace my old
ones. Looking for recommendations.

Thanks, Jim

FWW online has at least 2 recent reviews. You have to be a member
($15/yr), but there's a fee 2-week trial period.

I've got a set of the Japanese Blue Steel bench chisels. I'm quite
satisfied.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Looking to get a good set of bench chisels 1/4" - 1" to replace my old
ones. Looking for recommendations.

Marples Blue Chips were always a good deal.
Here's a good deal on a 6pc (+ box) 1/4" to 1-1/4" set.
http://tinyurl.com/4onvs6o

4pc for $36 + $8 s/h http://tinyurl.com/4veewzr

I see that Irwin has bought Marples. Does anyone have an update on
recent quality, since the change?

--
"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded
professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Looking to get a good set of bench chisels 1/4" - 1" to replace my old
ones. Looking for recommendations.

Marples Blue Chips were always a good deal. Here's a good deal on a 6pc
(+ box) 1/4" to 1-1/4" set. http://tinyurl.com/4onvs6o

4pc for $36 + $8 s/h http://tinyurl.com/4veewzr

I see that Irwin has bought Marples. Does anyone have an update on
recent quality, since the change?

Are you implying that Irwin is not of the finest quality?

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Looking to get a good set of bench chisels 1/4" - 1" to replace my old
ones. Looking for recommendations.

Marples Blue Chips were always a good deal. Here's a good deal on a 6pc
(+ box) 1/4" to 1-1/4" set. http://tinyurl.com/4onvs6o

4pc for $36 + $8 s/h http://tinyurl.com/4veewzr

I see that Irwin has bought Marples. Does anyone have an update on
recent quality, since the change?

Are you implying that Irwin is not of the finest quality?

My 100 year old set of Irwin auger bits certainly are.

Can't speak for the Irwin Chisels, but it's unlikely that they've
changed anything other than the logo embossed on the handle.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Looking to get a good set of bench chisels 1/4" - 1" to replace my old
ones. Looking for recommendations.

Marples Blue Chips were always a good deal.
Here's a good deal on a 6pc (+ box) 1/4" to 1-1/4" set.
http://tinyurl.com/4onvs6o

4pc for $36 + $8 s/h http://tinyurl.com/4veewzr

I see that Irwin has bought Marples. Does anyone have an update on
recent quality, since the change?

Among various special-purpose chisels of higher quality than the ones I'm about
to mention, I have a set of Marples and a set of these:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/n...chiselset.aspx

I much prefer the Narex over the Marples, and at $10 a chisel, that's a *very*
good deal for the quality you'll be getting. Even if you're looking to spend
bigger bucks on top-quality stuff, you won't regret having these around.

The only downside is that the Narex chisels are ground to metric widths that
approximate their inch equivalents, and this can be a pain when you really need
an exact 1/4" width (for example). I reground the 10mm, 20mm, and 26mm
chisels to be exactly 3/8", 3/4", and 1" respectively, but the other three
chisels in the set are undersized and you can't do much about that...

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Looking to get a good set of bench chisels 1/4" - 1" to replace my old
ones. Looking for recommendations.

Marples Blue Chips were always a good deal.
Here's a good deal on a 6pc (+ box) 1/4" to 1-1/4" set.
http://tinyurl.com/4onvs6o

4pc for $36 + $8 s/h http://tinyurl.com/4veewzr

I see that Irwin has bought Marples. Does anyone have an update on
recent quality, since the change?

Among various special-purpose chisels of higher quality than the ones I'm about
to mention, I have a set of Marples and a set of these:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/n...chiselset.aspx

I much prefer the Narex over the Marples, and at $10 a chisel, that's a *very*
good deal for the quality you'll be getting. Even if you're looking to spend
bigger bucks on top-quality stuff, you won't regret having these around.

They don't look bad. How do the wooden handles handle a mallet?

The only downside is that the Narex chisels are ground to metric widths that
approximate their inch equivalents, and this can be a pain when you really need
an exact 1/4" width (for example). I reground the 10mm, 20mm, and 26mm
chisels to be exactly 3/8", 3/4", and 1" respectively, but the other three
chisels in the set are undersized and you can't do much about that...

WHAT? Don't you have mortising chisels for that? If not, get 'em,
boy!

One of these days I'm going to cut that extra piece of leaf spring and
turn it into a nice slick for myself. I'd accept one of these, tho.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/j...60mmslick.aspx

--
"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded
professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who
encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I
learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy
as opposed to intentions."
-- Walter E. Williams
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 19:03:06 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

The only downside is that the Narex chisels are ground to metric widths that
approximate their inch equivalents, and this can be a pain when you really need
an exact 1/4" width (for example). I reground the 10mm, 20mm, and 26mm
chisels to be exactly 3/8", 3/4", and 1" respectively, but the other three
chisels in the set are undersized and you can't do much about that...

--

Lee Valley has the Narex mortise chisels in fractional inch widths.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...?p=66737&cat=1

Good price, too, Art. Add a $5 item and shipping is free.

--
"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded
professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who
encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I
learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy
as opposed to intentions."
-- Walter E. Williams
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Art

I have those as well, and they are also a very good quality product for a very
good price. They don't take the place of regular general purpose chisels, but
I do appreciate that they're in fractions of an inch instead of millimeters.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

They've held up fine for me. No signs of splitting.

The only downside is that the Narex chisels are ground to metric widths that
approximate their inch equivalents, and this can be a pain when you really need
an exact 1/4" width (for example). I reground the 10mm, 20mm, and 26mm
chisels to be exactly 3/8", 3/4", and 1" respectively, but the other three
chisels in the set are undersized and you can't do much about that...

WHAT? Don't you have mortising chisels for that? If not, get 'em,
boy!

You've probably already seen my other post; I have a set of Narex mortise
chisels as well. No power mortising machine for me; cutting mortises by hand
is way too much fun!

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/n...chiselset.aspx

I much prefer the Narex over the Marples, and at $10 a chisel, that's a *very*
good deal for the quality you'll be getting. Even if you're looking to spend
bigger bucks on top-quality stuff, you won't regret having these around.

I bought some HF chisels ($6 for the set) for handyman use. The
Marples (wooden handled gouges and Blue Chip chisels) stay in my shop.

Good review for the Narex, complete with metallurgy info. Do watch it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4CzzQaZDo

--
"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded
professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who
encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I
learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy
as opposed to intentions."
-- Walter E. Williams
Posted to rec.woodworking

The quality has dropped dramatically. I look at the work needed to clean
up the machining as extensive. Mine required much less work.
No longer a top recommendation in my book.

wrote:

Looking to get a good set of bench chisels 1/4" - 1" to replace my old
ones. Looking for recommendations.

Marples Blue Chips were always a good deal.
Here's a good deal on a 6pc (+ box) 1/4" to 1-1/4" set.
http://tinyurl.com/4onvs6o

4pc for $36 + $8 s/h http://tinyurl.com/4veewzr

I see that Irwin has bought Marples. Does anyone have an update on
recent quality, since the change?

--
"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded
professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who
encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I
learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy
as opposed to intentions."
-- Walter E. Williams

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim in Milwaukee" wrote in message
m...
Looking to get a good set of bench chisels 1/4" - 1" to replace my old
ones. Looking for recommendations.

I bought a set of these bevel edge chisels (sans box) from Lee Valley about
two years ago. They've fulfilled all my needs.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...504,43500&ap=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have a januwine Steve Knight mallet, but I switched to a Shop Fox
urethane mallet and absolutely adore it. Try one if you don't already
own one. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mallets-24-oz-/H0991
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,41504,43688

For tight spaces, I use the little brass LV mallet. PRICY now.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,41504,43688

The only downside is that the Narex chisels are ground to metric widths that
approximate their inch equivalents, and this can be a pain when you really need
an exact 1/4" width (for example). I reground the 10mm, 20mm, and 26mm
chisels to be exactly 3/8", 3/4", and 1" respectively, but the other three
chisels in the set are undersized and you can't do much about that...

WHAT? Don't you have mortising chisels for that? If not, get 'em,
boy!

You've probably already seen my other post; I have a set of Narex mortise
chisels as well. No power mortising machine for me; cutting mortises by hand
is way too much fun!

I'm a Normander here. I love knowing how to do them but prefer the
machine. Hand-cutting mortises is too much like _work_.

--
"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded
professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who
encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I
learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy
as opposed to intentions."
-- Walter E. Williams

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Jim in Milwaukee" wrote in message
m...
Looking to get a good set of bench chisels 1/4" - 1" to replace my old
ones. Looking for recommendations.

I bought a set of these bevel edge chisels (sans box) from Lee Valley
about two years ago. They've fulfilled all my needs.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...504,43500&ap=1

I also have that set. Dependable.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Just don't use a hammer on them. DAMHIK.

The only downside is that the Narex chisels are ground to metric
widths that
approximate their inch equivalents, and this can be a pain when you
really need
an exact 1/4" width (for example). I reground the 10mm, 20mm, and
26mm
chisels to be exactly 3/8", 3/4", and 1" respectively, but the other
three
chisels in the set are undersized and you can't do much about that...

WHAT? Don't you have mortising chisels for that? If not, get 'em,
boy!

You've probably already seen my other post; I have a set of Narex
mortise chisels as well. No power mortising machine for me; cutting
mortises by hand is way too much fun!

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...?p=66737&cat=1 Art

I have those as well, and they are also a very good quality product for
a very good price. They don't take the place of regular general purpose
chisels, but I do appreciate that they're in fractions of an inch
instead of millimeters.

So you've measured them and they are actually the size they are marked?
I've gotten burned on other chisels that were marked in inches but
actually weren't.

And then there's the wood taps that are marked 1" but are actually 25mm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 03/21/2011 11:28 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:20:35 -0500, Steve Turner wrote:

Lee Valley has the Narex mortise chisels in fractional inch widths.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...?p=66737&cat=1 Art

I have those as well, and they are also a very good quality product for
a very good price. They don't take the place of regular general purpose
chisels, but I do appreciate that they're in fractions of an inch
instead of millimeters.

So you've measured them and they are actually the size they are marked?
I've gotten burned on other chisels that were marked in inches but
actually weren't.

And then there's the wood taps that are marked 1" but are actually 25mm.

Yes, I've measured them with my dial calipers and they were spot on.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:24:05 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Steve Turner wrote the following:
On 3/20/2011 9:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
They don't look bad. How do the wooden handles handle a mallet?

They've held up fine for me. No signs of splitting.

Just don't use a hammer on them. DAMHIK.

Everyone should have one of those urethane mallets. Wunnerful!

--
"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded
professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who
encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I
learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy
as opposed to intentions."
-- Walter E. Williams

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Steve Turner wrote the following:
On 3/20/2011 9:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
They don't look bad. *How do the wooden handles handle a mallet?

They've held up fine for me. *No signs of splitting.

Just don't use a hammer on them. DAMHIK.

Everyone should have one of those urethane mallets. Wunnerful!

--
"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded
professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who
encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I
learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy
as opposed to intentions."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Walter E. Williams

I've got one of those round wooden mallets that sculptors use. Works
great with chisels.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2011 1:43 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 03/21/2011 11:28 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:20:35 -0500, Steve Turner wrote:

Lee Valley has the Narex mortise chisels in fractional inch widths.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...?p=66737&cat=1 Art

I have those as well, and they are also a very good quality product for
a very good price. They don't take the place of regular general purpose
chisels, but I do appreciate that they're in fractions of an inch
instead of millimeters.

So you've measured them and they are actually the size they are marked?
I've gotten burned on other chisels that were marked in inches but
actually weren't.

And then there's the wood taps that are marked 1" but are actually 25mm.

Yes, I've measured them with my dial calipers and they were spot on.

Interesting thing about the Narex mortise chisels. I just checked them again
and that exact advertised width (actually the 3/8" chisel is a tad *over*, by
about 1/64") only lasts for about a 3/4" to 1" length near the cutting edge.
Beyond that it narrows in width towards the handle by about 1/64" (up to 1/32"
on the 1/2" chisel), presumably to alleviate binding in the mortise opening. I
know some people get ridiculously aggressive when resharpening their tools, so
conceivably you could burn through that 3/4" and find yourself with a chisel
that's too narrow, but I can't imagine myself ever taking off more than an 1/8"
in my entire lifetime, and probably not even close to that.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...66737&cat=1Art

[...]

To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/- Hide quoted text -

I think chisles only have a short section near the tip hardened. So
the 3/4" length that is the official width, is the only part of the
steel that is hardened and will hold an edge. Once you grind that
part away, the chisel is gone. It will no longer hold an edge. You
would be sharpening soft steel then. The upper part of the chisel is
soft and springy so you can pry on it and not snap it. If all the
steel in the chisel was hardened, it would be dangerous to use.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 12:09:39 -0700 (PDT), Marty
wrote:

wrote:

Steve Turner wrote the following:
On 3/20/2011 9:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
They don't look bad. Â*How do the wooden handles handle a mallet?

They've held up fine for me. Â*No signs of splitting.

Just don't use a hammer on them. DAMHIK.

Everyone should have one of those urethane mallets. Wunnerful!

I've got one of those round wooden mallets that sculptors use. Works
great with chisels.

I've tried the rectangular and round wooden mallets and they both pale
in comparison to the urethane. The rubber makes less noise and is much
easier on the wrists of both hands. Try one at a store and see,
Marty. It's the Festool of mallets, without the hefty price!
You are today where your thoughts have brought you;
you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.
-- James Lane Allen

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/22/2011 4:00 PM, wrote:
On Mar 22, 2:19 pm, Steve
wrote:
[...]

Yes, you're mostly likely right about that. My curiosity about whether the
narrowing of the shank was a common feature of all mortise chisels (this is the
only set I've ever owned) caused me to forget about the fact the only the tips
are likely to be hardened. I'm getting to the age where I can only keep so
many things in my brain at one time. :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 22, 9:09*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 12:09:39 -0700 (PDT), Marty

wrote:
wrote:

Steve Turner wrote the following:
On 3/20/2011 9:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
They don't look bad. *How do the wooden handles handle a mallet?

They've held up fine for me. *No signs of splitting.

Just don't use a hammer on them. DAMHIK.

Everyone should have one of those urethane mallets. Wunnerful!

I've got one of those round wooden mallets that sculptors use. *Works
great with chisels.

I've tried the rectangular and round wooden mallets and they both pale
in comparison to the urethane. The rubber makes less noise and is much
easier on the wrists of both hands. *Try one at a store and see,
Marty. *It's the Festool of mallets, without the hefty price!
You are today where your thoughts have brought you;
you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- James Lane Allen- Hide quoted text -

Delayed response, but I just saw this - and I totally agree. I bought
a Wood Is Good mallet a while back, and it is, indeed, the Festool of
mallets. Something about the give and rebound of the urethane seems
let you use less force for the same cut. Great tool.
JP