Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Holy heck--what do you use this beast for?

18" American Sawmill Table Saw

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2203465994.html

This thing is HUGE. The smarter part of me knows this thing is more-
or-less useless for a weekend woodworker but another part of me wants
to buy it because it seems so cool.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"busbus" wrote in message
18" American Sawmill Table Saw

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2203465994.html

This thing is HUGE. The smarter part of me knows this thing is more-
or-less useless for a weekend woodworker but another part of me wants
to buy it because it seems so cool.

To cut the body parts into little pieces making them easier to hide.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 17:43:26 -0800 (PST), busbus wrote:

18" American Sawmill Table Saw

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2203465994.html

This thing is HUGE. The smarter part of me knows this thing is more-
or-less useless for a weekend woodworker but another part of me wants
to buy it because it seems so cool.

7-1/2HP? Yeah, I'd say it was useless, at least for this weekend woodworker.
Posted to rec.woodworking

That's Paul Bunyon's saw, the green "Babe" model.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Darn, only a 16" saw blade on the 18" saw. I'd buy it if it had an
18" blade....

Posted to rec.woodworking

It was built and designed for non-stop daily continuous
use. This is a real piece of American history no longer
built but still a really fine piece of equipment.

On 2/8/2011 8:43 PM, busbus wrote:
18" American Sawmill Table Saw

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2203465994.html

This thing is HUGE. The smarter part of me knows this thing is more-
or-less useless for a weekend woodworker but another part of me wants
to buy it because it seems so cool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here is a little history on the company with some
more pictures...

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=36

They made "many" very large pieces of equipment.

On 2/8/2011 8:43 PM, busbus wrote:
18" American Sawmill Table Saw

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2203465994.html

This thing is HUGE. The smarter part of me knows this thing is more-
or-less useless for a weekend woodworker but another part of me wants
to buy it because it seems so cool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Here is a little history on the company with some
more pictures...

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=36

They made "many" very large pieces of equipment.

On 2/8/2011 8:43 PM, busbus wrote:
18" American Sawmill Table Saw

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2203465994.html

This thing is HUGE. The smarter part of me knows this thing is more-
or-less useless for a weekend woodworker but another part of me wants
to buy it because it seems so cool.

Cool works... it would go well with my 36" Crescent bandsaw... ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 8, 8:43*pm, busbus wrote:
18" American Sawmill Table Saw

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2203465994.html

This thing is HUGE. *The smarter part of me knows this thing is more-
or-less useless for a weekend woodworker but another part of me wants
to buy it because it seems so cool.

Depends on what you want to build as a weekend woodworker - for
ripping 3" jarrah stair treads it'd be great!
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 44cbe311-8b00-4b33-b23a-
, says...

On Feb 8, 8:43*pm, busbus wrote:
18" American Sawmill Table Saw

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2203465994.html

This thing is HUGE. *The smarter part of me knows this thing is more-
or-less useless for a weekend woodworker but another part of me wants
to buy it because it seems so cool.

Depends on what you want to build as a weekend woodworker - for
ripping 3" jarrah stair treads it'd be great!

It will swing a 3 inch wide dado and rip 4x4s. What's not to like about
it? Big downsides I can see other than parts availability are that it
needs 3-phase power (and lots of it) and blades aren't going to be
cheap.

I suspect that it will either teach you proper technique or kill you
trying though--with that much power it's capable of _serious_ kickback.